sMothering by Wendy French

sMothering

by Wendy French

This was a fun, easy book that I read in about one night. It's the story of 23-year-old Claire and what happens when her over-bearing mother comes for an open-ended visit.

Really, this was just an amusing bit of fluff that was fairly predictable. If you're in the mood for that (and I was, after slogging through Look Homeward, Angel), you'll probably enjoy this one.

As an aside, I would like to thank my mom for being NOTHING like the mother in this book. What a nightmare! ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
Very funny, lite. ( )
  hklibrarian | Jun 4, 2007 |
This book was laugh out loud funny! Every one of my siblings should read. And I always love a happy ending. ( )
  annaj0013 | Mar 7, 2007 |
I've been seeing a lot of these meddling mother type books--This was one of the best. ( )
  thereader | Sep 1, 2006 |
For my parents, Stuart and Sally McDonald. Dad, the funniest person I know, and Mum, who laughs until she cries. And for my husband, Dave "Shouldn't you be writing?" French, who suggested I try and kept cheering me on.
My mother sang the national anthem like she really meant it, but her voice was the only thing she didn't try to save.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765347032, Mass Market Paperback)

A smart, fast, funny take on mother-daughter relationships, boyfriend-girlfriend disasters, and the career-girl blues.

Meet Claire McLeod, a twenty-something American girl living in Portland, Oregon. Claire's got big problems: her mother's a tyrant, her sister's a lesbian, and her father's in Omaha.

Claire's peaceful, if dull, existence is shattered when her mother arrives in Portland for an unexpected--and unwelcome--visit. Armed with a sharp tongue, a critical eye, and enough Weekender Wear to make anyone nervous, Mom has mysteriously left Dad at home in the Midwest. It's not enough that Claire's job as a telephone survey-taker is excruciatingly irritating and her boyfriend has dumped her. No, now, embarrassed by her dead-end job and flatlining love life, she must also bear the weight of Mom's critical eagle eye while trying to close the rift between her mother and her sister, solve the riddle of her missing father, climb a shaky corporate ladder, stalk a cute coworker, reinvent herself, and maybe--just maybe--find a little happiness.

By turns tender and insightful--but always hilariously funny--sMothering is a novel you can't put down.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:41 -0400)

Claire McLeod's peaceful life in Portland, Oregon, is turned upside down by the arrival of her tyrannical mother as she tries to negotiate peace between her mother and her lesbian sister and find out why her father remained home in Omaha.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible