Sword of God by Chris Kuzneski

Sword of God (edition 2007)

by Chris Kuzneski

Collections:Your library, donate
Rating:***
Tags:donate

Sword of God by Chris Kuzneski

Another very good helping in the Jonathon Payne and David Jones series. This book rotates around a military incident in South Korea involving someone Payne and Jones trained when they were in the MANIACs, and a potential terrorist incident. I love the humour in this series between Payne and Jones, which reminds me of Myron Bolitar in the Harlan Coben books - both series make me regularly laugh out loud! The historical backdrop is always seamlessly woven in without affecting the story, something in my opinion Dan Brown could learn from. I have read a number of books in this series (not necessarily in order) and I very much look forward to picking up the next one! 4.5 stars, rounded up to 5 for Shelfari. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Sword of God starts well and continues to build momentum throughout the story. It's written in an open style that makes it easy to read. It's a little predictable and I think the author could have developed the mystery and the back story a bit more. That being said it was an enjoyable read. ( )
1 vote MichaelBrookes | Jul 18, 2013 |
  MichaelBrookes | Jul 18, 2013 |
This is the third book in the Payne and Jones series and the third one I've read. It's the best so far. I can feel this author growing in his confidence with this series.

Payne and Jones, ex-special forces, are called in to help deal with an protege of theirs that has disappeared. The plot includes plans for a terrorist attack on Mecca. The action is very violent so if you don't like blood, this isn't the book for you. On the other hand, the characters work well together and have a true friendship. In the context of the story, the violence didn't bother me.

Compared to the first two stories in this series, the dialogue was much less stilted and stiff, much more natural. I felt the plot lines in the first two were gimmicky but this one didn't feel that way at all. A huge improvement all around in my opinion. I'm enjoying this series more and more as it goes along. ( )
2 vote Mrsbaty | Apr 22, 2013 |
Sword is the third book by Kuzneski featuring the two US military characters, Payne and Jones and is a standalone story, with little connectivity between previous volumes. The author is clearly becoming more confident with the characters as the series progresses, creating more banter between the likeable protagonists. Kuzneski has adapted his writing style to feature less of the pointless cliffhangers than marred his previous book. The distracting feature of Sword of God is that for most of the book it feels like two distinctly separate plots. That said, this approach does keep the reader keen to see how they ultimately converge. In fairness, the Sword of God title is although a minor point in the story, almost added to ride the Dan Brown coattails, and as a result Sword of God is less religious-thriller than you would think. To explain the genre would be to spoil the suspense, yet the fact remains that Sword is a fascinating read, even though it's rather simple and derivative. ( )
  SonicQuack | Jan 12, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515143561, Mass Market Paperback)

In a secret bunker, one of the world's most dangerous terrorists is under interrogation-until he is rescued, and his captors are slaughtered.

Ex-MANIAC honcho Jonathan Payne vows revenge-but there is more to the bloody atrocity than terrorist reprisal. There is a plot in motion that will burn the world in the fires of holy war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:33 -0400)

In a secret bunker, one of the world's most dangerous terrorists is rescued, and his captors are slaughtered. Jonathan Payne vows revenge -- but there is more to the bloody atrocity than terrorist reprisal. There is a plot in motion that will burn the world in the fires of holy war.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,463,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible