Sword of God by Chris Kuzneski

Sword of God (edition 2007)

by Chris Kuzneski

Rating:***
Tags:donate

Sword of God by Chris Kuzneski

Recently added byprivate library, dm13, jtedson, Julieaims

Sword of God starts well and continues to build momentum throughout the story. It's written in an open style that makes it easy to read. It's a little predictable and I think the author could have developed the mystery and the back story a bit more. That being said it was an enjoyable read. ( )
  MichaelBrookes | Jul 18, 2013 |
  MichaelBrookes | Jul 18, 2013 |
This is the third book in the Payne and Jones series and the third one I've read. It's the best so far. I can feel this author growing in his confidence with this series.

Payne and Jones, ex-special forces, are called in to help deal with an protege of theirs that has disappeared. The plot includes plans for a terrorist attack on Mecca. The action is very violent so if you don't like blood, this isn't the book for you. On the other hand, the characters work well together and have a true friendship. In the context of the story, the violence didn't bother me.

Compared to the first two stories in this series, the dialogue was much less stilted and stiff, much more natural. I felt the plot lines in the first two were gimmicky but this one didn't feel that way at all. A huge improvement all around in my opinion. I'm enjoying this series more and more as it goes along. ( )
  Mrsbaty | Apr 22, 2013 |
Sword is the third book by Kuzneski featuring the two US military characters, Payne and Jones and is a standalone story, with little connectivity between previous volumes. The author is clearly becoming more confident with the characters as the series progresses, creating more banter between the likeable protagonists. Kuzneski has adapted his writing style to feature less of the pointless cliffhangers than marred his previous book. The distracting feature of Sword of God is that for most of the book it feels like two distinctly separate plots. That said, this approach does keep the reader keen to see how they ultimately converge. In fairness, the Sword of God title is although a minor point in the story, almost added to ride the Dan Brown coattails, and as a result Sword of God is less religious-thriller than you would think. To explain the genre would be to spoil the suspense, yet the fact remains that Sword is a fascinating read, even though it's rather simple and derivative. ( )
  SonicQuack | Jan 12, 2009 |
I have finally struggled through to the end of this book but I have to admit that at least the last 150 pages (yes that's close to half of it) was to find out if it would EVER get round to the point of the plot-line which is advertised on the back of the book. I have not read James Patterson's "Murder Club" books but if he really thinks that "Kuzneski's writing has raw power" and was referring to this book (which admittedly he may not have been), I'm not going to risk it. It is possible that the author has deliberately littered his pages with cliched phrases, derivative characters and clunky exposition because he thinks it appropriate for the "blockbuster" style he is trying to write but frankly that is an insult to both "blockbuster" writers and their audience.

I am no snob when it comes to novels - years producing audio books from all kinds of novels knocked any potential for that out of me. When I read a novel I read for the same reason I watch a film or a television series - to be immersed in a story. If the quality of the writing isn't perfect but the story is engaging then that's fine by me - goodness knows there are many "well written" or "literary" novels which will put you to sleep! Give me a good story over good grammar any day. Unfortunately, Sword of God gives you neither.

REVIEW
Overall Score: 17/60
Story: 2/10 - derivative
Structure: 4/10 - all over the place, too much left undone or unsatisfactorily tied up.
Dialogue: 3/10 - cliche but not unbelievable for the characters, particularly bad when used for exposition
Characters: 3/10 - stereotypes (and I don't mean archetypes, just stereotypes)
Descriptive style: 4/10 - cliched phrasing, lack of flow mostly due to badly inserted exposition
Exposition handling: 1/10 - clunky, incongruous, often resorts to straight lecturing, inconsistently breaks rules of POV in 3rd person intimate ( )
  Beith | Apr 21, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515143561, Mass Market Paperback)

In a secret bunker, one of the world's most dangerous terrorists is under interrogation-until he is rescued, and his captors are slaughtered.

Ex-MANIAC honcho Jonathan Payne vows revenge-but there is more to the bloody atrocity than terrorist reprisal. There is a plot in motion that will burn the world in the fires of holy war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:00 -0400)

In a secret bunker, one of the world's most dangerous terrorists is rescued, and his captors are slaughtered. Jonathan Payne vows revenge -- but there is more to the bloody atrocity than terrorist reprisal. There is a plot in motion that will burn the world in the fires of holy war.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible