Company of Liars by Karen Maitland

Company of Liars (2008)

by Karen Maitland

Recently added bydschnell, private library, Lokweesha, the-mosthappy, hudsonshuman, dinornis, dshigdon

English (85)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (89)
Not the Canterbury tale sit was billed, but worth reading.

Enjoyed the mystery aspect, some of the scenes were difficult for me ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Feb 7, 2015 |
Not the Canterbury tale sit was billed, but worth reading.

Enjoyed the mystery aspect, some of the scenes were difficult for me ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Feb 7, 2015 |
Started out good - I like the way she creates the atmosphere of the time period - but it got repititious. Each traveler has a "secret", but they're either revealed before she reveals them, or the secret's not very interesting. I returned it to the library with about 20 pages left to read - I lost interest in the whole ( )
  MarshaKT | Oct 5, 2014 |
I thought this book was amazing. Full of characters you love to hate, feel bad for, unjustly judged, and then to top it all off it is scary, bone chilling, and an amazing ending. ( )
  inasrullah64 | Sep 26, 2014 |
Company of Liars has the subtitle a novel of the plague. It makes me wonder if the person who designed the cover ever read the book. It takes place in 1348 as the plague has started to overwhelm England, but the plague is only one of a number of reasons why nine outcasts have taken to the road. The disease has changed the landscape through which these travelers wander, but it is not the cause of their suffering. Fourteenth century England had plenty of other reasons why it was a hard time and place to live.

The story is told by an old character who is known to the readers as Camelot, a profession rather than a name.

I am, after all, a camelot, a peddler, a hawker of hopes and crossed fingers, of piecrust promises and gilded stories. And believe me, there are plenty who will buy such things. I sell faith in a bottle: the water of the Jordan drawn from the very spot where the Dove descended, the bones of the innocents slaughtered in Bethlehem, and the shards of the lamps carried by the wise virgins.

Camelot, who is clearly a seller of lies, is joined by eight others. These include Zophiel, a magician who owns the cart and horse they are using and who has a number of boxes with unknown contents, Osmond and Adela, a young couple who are expecting a child, Rodrigo and Jofre, an Italian musician and his apprentice, Pleasance, a midwife, and Cygnus, a storyteller who has a swan's wing in place of one of his arms. All of these people have secrets they do not want to reveal. But they also have brought another traveler with them: Narigorm, a young, pale skinned, white haired girl who is a mystic and who has very little use for liars.

This novel has strong characters and an excellent feel for life during the fourteenth century, which is the aspect I found most interesting. But there was more to it than that. Karen Maitland handled the subjects of human sexuality, gender identification, and bigotry in interesting and sometimes surprising ways. She also mixed mysticism and reality in ways that made me think.

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul and White Horse Regressions ( )
  SteveLindahl | May 18, 2014 |
Every historical novel has its “Aren’t you glad?” moments. In COMPANY OF LIARS, a jewel of a medieval mystery by Karen Maitland, those would be the times when you realize how lucky you are not to be living in England in 1348, when three separate plagues broke out among a population already beaten down by the deprivations of the Hundred Years War.

added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Oct 31, 2008)

The truth is often a terrible weapon of aggression.
It is possible to lie, and even to murder, for the truth.

Alfred Adler, psychiatrist

Wir haben die Lüge nötig ... um zu leben.
We need lies ... in order to live.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, philosopher
In memory of my great-aunt, Jane West. A woman of infinite compassion, who taught me to love nature, history, and stories.
'So that's settled then, we bury her alive in the iron bridle'.

The plague has arrived.
The liars' company flees.
Secrets are revealed.
(passion4reading)

In this extraordinary novel, Karen Maitland delivers a dazzling reinterpretation of Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales—an ingenious alchemy of history, mystery, and powerful human drama.

The year is 1348. The Black Plague grips the country. In a world ruled by faith and fear, nine desperate strangers, brought together by chance, attempt to outrun the certain death that is running inexorably toward them.

Each member of this motley company has a story to tell. From Camelot, the relic-seller who will become the group’s leader, to Cygnus, the one-armed storyteller . . . from the strange, silent child called Narigorm to a painter and his pregnant wife, each has a secret. None is what they seem. And one among them conceals the darkest secret of all—propelling these liars to a destiny they never saw coming.

Magical, heart-quickening, and raw, Company of Liars is a work of vaulting imagination from a powerful new voice in historical fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:58 -0400)

In 1348, as the Black Plague holds England in it's grip, nine strangers attempt to outrun death. Each member has their own story to tell and each has a secret.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Company of Liars by Karen Maitland was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,243,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible