Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan

Waiting to Exhale (1992)

by Terry McMillan

Svenska: Hålla andan
  helenaferry | Jan 18, 2019 |
Entertaining. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 2, 2017 |
This book has been sitting on my shelf forever, waiting for me to exhale and pick it up. I read widely from multiple genres. I never limit myself and I am glad I don’t because you can miss out on discovering great stories or great authors.

The book is set in 1991. It is so strange to think that this book is 25 years old. It feels more recent but one thing that immediately stood out was the changes in the African American experience and story, even in that 25 years. Don’t be afraid to grab some of the wonderful African American authors out there. You might find you have more in common than not.

The four women in this story are all in their 30’s or a little older and all are experiencing what many people experience at that point in their lives. One is going through a divorce; one is trying to figure out why she doesn’t like the nice guys and is attracted to the bad boys; one is moving house, changing jobs and trying to find Mr. Right; and one is a single mother, business owner and activist looking ahead.

They are friends who support one another in their life changing moves and frankly, they were there talking about sex, shoes, hair, men and life way before Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and the other one from Sex and the City. It makes me wonder if this was the blueprint. Ms. McMillan, I think HBO owes you!

While there are certain things that speak directly to the African American experience, anyone who has had any of the life experiences above will be able to relate. If you grew up working class, these are the women who went to college and moved up the economic rung. You will either recognize them, or you are them. It is a great book about, by and for women but men could learn a thing or two by reading it.

I liked the book so much that I ended up staying up till 4:30 am so I could finish the book in one day. Damn your eyes, Terry McMillan!! The characters are great fun and although there are times you want to kick a characters shins ( I am looking at you Robin and Savannah!) they still keep you turning the page in hope.

I had a great time. The only thing that the author may regret in hindsight is describing one of the male characters as modeling himself on Dr. Cliff Huxtable. Who am I to judge? I loved Bill Cosby from I, Spy to The Cosby Show until he let me down. And now I want to watch the movie just to see Leon (who I adored in Oz) and Angela Bassett who I adore in everything. Now I have to go get the rest of the books written by Terry McMillan. And I would like to know how the author views life and love 25 years later. An author discussion Waiting to Exhale: 25 years later is dying to go on tour! I just know it. ( )
  ozzie65 | Sep 19, 2016 |
I understand why it is listed in the 100 new classics, but not to my taste. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
I read this when I was still in high school. I think I didn't like the book as much because I loved the movie so much. I'd love to give this another read as an adult. Maybe someday. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
This one's for you, Daddy.
Edward Lewis McMillian, 1929 - 1968
Right now I'm supposed to be all geeked up because I'm getting ready for a New Year's Eve party that some guy named Lionel invited me to.

Four African-American women console and support one another in a complex friendship that helps each of them face the middle of her life as a single woman. 100,000 first printing. Major ad/promo. Tour.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:36 -0400)

The sensational #1 "New York Times" bestseller is now available in a new mass market edition. A hilarious and heartbreaking look at four vibrant black women in their thirties, who aren't holding their breath waiting for Mr. Right--but they haven't stopped hoping. "Four African-American women console and support one another in a complex friendship that helps each of them face the middle of her life as a single woman."--www.Amazon.com.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,494,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible