Gone, Baby, Gone: A Novel by Dennis Lehane

Gone, Baby, Gone: A Novel (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Dennis Lehane

2,010None3,322 (3.99)130
Member:MikeBriggs
Title:Gone, Baby, Gone: A Novel
Authors:Dennis Lehane
Info:HarperTorch (1999), Paperback
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Have But Not Yet Read, Shamus Award Nominee, Award Nominee, Private Investigator, Kenzie and Gennaro, Mystery, Own, Fiction, Male Author

Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane (1998)

Recently added byFelicia99, smlbooks, private library, krissileigh, zerpe, dmesotten, carriehh, cla37619
2008 (8) American (8) Angela Gennaro (14) Boston (86) crime (71) crime fiction (28) Dennis Lehane (8) detective (46) ebook (17) fiction (180) first edition (7) Kenzie & Gennaro (11) kidnapping (24) Kindle (14) Massachusetts (11) movie (12) mystery (202) novel (15) own (10) Patrick Kenzie (21) police (7) private investigator (29) read (34) series (25) signed (7) suspense (24) thriller (65) to-read (31) unread (8) USA (15)

English (57)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (61)
Amazing read! Cant wait for the next book in the series. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
It's been a while since I read the first 3 Kenzie & Gennaro novels and had forgotten most of the stories.
However, "Gone, Baby, Gone" soon had me up to to speed with the titular characters.

The story of the search for a missing girl was compelling and the writing strong, but God could it be depressing.
The city and characters, as described, felt so dark and bleak at times you could be forgiven for believing that even the
sun would not want to shine here.

Principles of justice and parenthood were examined as if through a prism, and what was the best course of action was not always right. And what was right had horrible consequences.

An excellent book. Dark, disturbing and at times hard to read. Highly recommended. ( )
  LustyRebel | Feb 28, 2014 |
The search for more writers in the hard-boiled detective genre continues, and Lehane can be added to the list. There’s nothing more pleasurable than a cynical, wise-cracking detective. For example, Boston private eyes Patrick McKenzie and partner Angela Gennaro become involved in a child disappearance case. The mother, Helene, is a sleaze, more interested in watching Jerry Springer and the soaps and getting herself on TV than in caring for her child, and the two detectives soon discover the little girl has become a pawn in a kidnapping for ransom – Helene had been involved in the theft of $200,000 from a drug czar who wants his money back. Boston has a neighborhood called Charleston that was the original Boston site, but it was soon abandoned after the Pilgrims discovered the water to be inexplicably brackish. They crossed the narrow channel taking the Boston name with them. Those who live there now have been historically reluctant to deal with authorities; it’s home to many generations of dockworkers, fishermen and merchant mariners. “This adherence to keeping one’s mouth shut even extends to simple directions. Ask a townie how to get to such-and-such street and his eyes will narrow. ‘The F__k you doing here if you don’t know where you’re going?’ might be the polite response, followed by an extended middle finger if he really likes you.” Is the precise way Lehane describes the difficulty of an investigation in Charleston. I love it. The kidnapping evolves into an infuriating sequence of events, and none of them seems to make sense to the detectives. The mother of the child had apparently been involved with drug-dealers, and the child was being held in exchange for money the mother had stolen. Someone murders the drug dealers during the supposed exchange for the money and one of them, we learn, may have been a DEA agent. The ending resolves into a moral conundrum for the two detectives that breaks up their partnership. Rogue policemen had instigated a scheme to save abused children by stealing them and placing them into good homes, completely bypassing the system, and this case revealed the layers of secrecy that surrounded their plan. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Best of the series so far; worlds better than Sacred. ( )
  bontley | Aug 24, 2013 |
This was the first Dennis Lehane book I ever read, and I am a confirmed fan. Gritty, realistic, emotionally raw - it was even better than I hoped it would be. The central characters of lovers (and work partners) Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennarro are fantastic and very believeable. Lehane is also really good at making the setting a character of the book, by making it live inside out minds as we read - I love it when an author can do that.
At it's heart this is a missing child story, but there are many layers to it and part of the joy of this book is discovering those layers along with the Patrick and Angie. Every time I tried to guess what was happening, I was wrong, so I just gave up and went along for the ride. There are twists and turns, as well as devastating encounters with child abuse and neglect, but also heartening ones with the people who want to save and protect the children. Patrick and Angie's relationship is tested time and time again by the circumstances of their case - making them question who they are and what they stand for. Along the way they encounter some other memorable characters. Broussard, a police detective, will stay with me for a while, as will missing child Amanda McCready's mother, Helene. Both are really well drawn by Lehane.
No spoilers here, but I loved the ending - it was absolutely what the characters would have done and it is great to see an author trusting the reader to "get" that. I will certainly be looking for more Dennis Lehane novels in the future. ( )
  sueo23 | Jul 22, 2013 |
To my sister, Maureen, and my brothers, Michael, Thomas and Gerard: Thanks for standing by me and putting up with me. It couldn't have been easy.

And to

JCP
Who never stood a chance
Long before the sun finds the Gulf, the fishing boats set out into the dark.
In my previous experience with women, once you've been intimate with someone for awhile, her beauty is the first thing you overlook.
She was sure there was a liberal agenda to corrupt every decent American but she couldn't articulate what that agenda was, only that it affected her ability to be happy and it was determined to keep blacks on welfare.
It's like watching starving dogs go after meat hung on a man's balls. Not pretty.
I stared across the pool table at Bubba as some heathen chose a Smiths song on the jukebox. I hate the Smiths. I'd rather be tied to a chair and forced to listen to a medley of Suzanne Vega and Natalie Merchant songs while performance artists hammered nails through their genitalia than listen to thirty seconds of Morrissey and the Smiths whine their art-school angst about how they are human and need to be loved.
Charlestown is infamous for its code of silence, a resistance to speaking to the police, which has left it with a murder rate that, while low, boasts the highest percentage of unsolved cases in the nation. This adherence to keeping ons's mouth shut even extends to simple directions. Ask a townie how to get to such-and-such street and his eyes will narrow. "The fuck you doing here if you don't know where you're going?" might be the polite response, followed by an extended middle finger if he really likes you. (98)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061374199, Mass Market Paperback)

Cheese Olamon, "a six-foot-two, four-hundred-and-thirty-pound yellow-haired Scandinavian who'd somehow arrived at the misconception he was black," is telling his old grammar school friends Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro why they have to convince another mutual chum, the gun dealer Bubba Rugowski, that Cheese didn't try to have him killed. "You let Bubba know I'm clean when it comes to what happened to him. You want me alive. Okay? Without me, that girl will be gone. Gone-gone. You understand? Gone, baby, gone." Of all the chilling, completely credible scenes of sadness, destruction, and betrayal in Dennis Lehane's fourth and very possibly best book about Kenzie and Gennaro, this moment stands out because it captures in a few pages the essence of Lehane's success.

Private detectives Kenzie and Gennaro, who live in the same working-class Dorchester neighborhood of Boston where they grew up, have gone to visit drug dealer Cheese in prison because they think he's involved in the kidnapping of 4-year-old Amanda McCready. Without sentimentalizing the grotesque figure of Cheese, Lehane tells us enough about his past to make us understand why he and the two detectives might share enough trust to possibly save a child's life when all the best efforts of traditional law enforcement have failed. By putting Kenzie and Gennaro just to one side of the law (but not totally outside; they have several cop friends, a very important part of the story), Lehane adds depth and edge to traditional genre relationships. The lifelong love affair between Kenzie and Gennaro--interrupted by her marriage to his best friend--is another perfectly controlled element that grows and changes as we watch. Surrounded by dead, abused, and missing children, Kenzie mourns and rages while Gennaro longs for one of her own. So the choices made by both of them in the final pages of this absolutely gripping story have the inevitability of life and the dazzling beauty of art.

Other Kenzie/Gennaro books available in paperback: Darkness, Take My Hand, A Drink Before the War, Sacred. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:30 -0400)

Boston private investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro delve into the disappearance of a four-year-old girl, involving a strangely cool mother, a pedophiliac couple, and a shadowy police unit.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,466,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible