Prayers for Rain by Dennis Lehane

Prayers for Rain (1999)

by Dennis Lehane

Series: Kenzie & Gennaro (5)

I took a Lehane break after Gone, Baby, Gone. I needed to read lighter books with stories that didn't make me feeling like breaking down or getting angry because of stupid laws that make children's life miserable.

But I decided to read the next one when I saw that I need to return the Lehane books I had at home to the library. I could return them and then borrow them again but I thought what the heck lets at least read this one!

Anyway, this book was a lot easier to read, the story is good, really good, just a hell of a lot lighter than Gone, Baby Gone, that doesn't mean that the story was fluffy and sweet, just that I could read it and it didn’t make me furious or sad. Well, the part with the dog hit me hard. But Bubba showed in the end what he feels about people hurting dogs.

It's a fast read, as always with Lehan's books. I feel the same way when I read Harlan Coben. Suddenly you are half way through the book and you just started it. The reason I didn’t give it 5 stars, in the end, was because the ending was a bit predictable. It just wasn't that surprising, it was more an “ of course it has to be this way” not an “ OMG WTF?” a moment. He must have had a partner, he couldn't do everything by himself and where did he get the information, it was a logical ending, but not a perfect mind-blowing ending like Darkness Take My Hand. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
between 2.5 and 3. this wasn't quite as smooth as he usually is. the story took a while to get started - the feeling that patrick had to chase his intuition, it just didn't seem like any of it mattered for a while. the reader knew it would end up being something, that his hunch was right, but it was hard to muster the interest at first because there seemed to be no reason for it.

as always, i enjoy the repartee between the main characters. it seemed a bit much with the "bad guys" but the snarkiness makes for a fun read, even if it makes it a little less realistic. not the best in the series, but still enjoyable to read.

"'...,' I said, not sure it was true, but then, sometimes just saying something plants the seed that allows it to become truth." ( )
  elisa.saphier | Aug 20, 2017 |
[Prayers For Rain] by Dennis Lehane
Kenzie & Gennaro Series Book #5
3.5 Stars

From The Book:
When a former client jumps naked from a Boston landmark, Private Investigator Patrick Kenzie wants to know why. Once a perky young woman in love with life, her suicide is the final fall in a spiral of self-destruction.

What Kenzie discovers is a sadistic stalker who targeted the woman and methodically drove her to her death – a monster that the law can’t touch. But Kenzie can. He and his former partner, Angela Gennaro, will fight a mind-twisting battle against the psychopath, even as he turns tricks on them…

My Views:
I like Dennis Lehane's writing style. He even manages to insert some humor into stories about psychopaths and various other types of misfits. The main problem with this book was that his lead characters constantly did such unpredictable, unprofessional, unbelievable, and entirely unnecessary things to achieve their goal. It made the book about 120 pages too long. This small clitch won't deter me from reading more of this series, but hope he sticks more to his main story line in the future. ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 11, 2017 |
Dennis Lehane the god of mysteries. Great dialogue, fast moving, unforgettable characters. This is another page turner. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |

Dennis Lehaneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fonti, DarioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I heard the old, old men say,
'All that's beautiful drifts away
Like the waters.'

and don't sue.

And
Andre,
who is deeply missed.
In the dream, I have a son.
Tony T, the jokes went, couldn't outwit a can of soup. Put Tony T in a room full of horse shit and twenty-four hours later he'd still be looking for the horse. Tony T thought manual labor was the president of Mexico, and had once wondered aloud what night they broadcast "Saturday Night Live".
In his twenty-eight years on the planet, Tony had cracked so many safes that anytime an all-night burn job left a gutted shell in place of a bank vault, cops drove over to Tony's Southie apartment even before they stopped at Donkin' Donuts, and judges cut search-and-seizure warrants in the time it takes most of us to write a check.
They studiously removed the three parts of their respective Raj tea sets, the cream in the tin on top, the sugar below, the tea itself at the bottom, and fixed their drinks in cups so delicate I'd be afraid to sneeze in the same area code.
The only thing good Catholics love more than God is a short service. Keep your organ music, your choir, keep your incense and processionals. Give us a priest with one eye on the Bible and the other on the clock, and we'll pack the place like it's a turkey raffle the week before Thanksgiving.
I wasn't sure if "old man" meant father or husband. These parts, it could mean either. Hell, these parts, it could mean both.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380730367, Mass Market Paperback)

Prayers for Rain is Dennis Lehane's fifth installment in his intricately plotted, beautifully written, and much underacknowledged Boston mystery series. Lehane's books reflect our morally complex times, when the borders between right and wrong are somewhat blurry.

Private investigator Patrick Kenzie is in the middle of a personal crisis--he's lost his passion for the profession, and is tired of people with their "predictable vices, their predictable needs and wants and dormant desires." Angie Gennaro, his occasional sweetheart, lifelong friend, and fellow investigator has quit the business. She's still deeply resentful about Patrick's handling of the Amanda McCready case, the focus of Gone, Baby, Gone. Without Angie, private investigating has lost its fizz.

The suicide of a former client, Karen Nichols, gives Kenzie his investigative itch back. Six months earlier, Kenzie tracked down a stalker who had been harassing Nichols, and put an end to his heinous hobby. But Nichols needed more help than this PI could ever have imagined. "She'd been drowning, and I'd been busy." The successful, middle-class young woman had been sinking into a sea of drugs, alcohol, and prostitution, hitting the bottom when she jumped from the Boston Custom House. Her death consumes Kenzie--he is convinced that someone pulled her into the vortex, although her nearest and dearest simply call her weak.

Kenzie teams up with his explosive, loving, gun-toting friend Bubba Rogowski, and, after a boozy reunion, Angie Gennaro joins them. This fearless threesome must surely be the most original team in contemporary crime fiction. Good at the core--but seriously screwed up by various demons from their pasts--tact and decorum is hardly their style. They work their way across Boston, doing whatever it takes to question Nichols's family and acquaintances. By unveiling the real Nichols, tragic family secrets, betrayals, and conspiracies are also unmasked.

If you haven't experienced Dennis Lehane's world before, be prepared for an invigorating new reading experience. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:02 -0400)

As Boston private investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro attempt to identify and save the next victim of a psychopathic killer, the sinister force turns on them and begins a life-threatening game of psychological warfare.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,017,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible