The Canary Caper by Ron Roy

The Canary Caper

by Ron Roy

Two ratings for early chapter books, I think. Around a three for me; and these, I think, are a definite four for what they are and who their audience is. I really did some smiling through these and I was pretty impressed with several things (read the first three and will copy this to the others). They seemed to me like they would be really challenging and I liked the addition of the map of the neighborhood in the front. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
In this, the third book, I'm really digging into the series, and I can say that I still enjoy these mysteries for beginning chapter books. In The Canary Caper, the three friends are on the trail of kidnappers - or petnappers, to be exact. Four pets disappear in one day in Green Lawn, their quiet little town, and Ruth Rose is convinced this is no coincidence. Part of her determination stems from the fact that her own pet, her cat Tiger, is also missing. Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose visit each of the other three owners and hear their stories, and try to infer from the clues why someone would want to steal four animals. Their theories are dashed, though, when a slight young man returns Mrs. Davis's canary to her, and refuses to take the reward. The children soon discover that the other two pet owners also had their beloved animals returned, and also had their rewards refused. In fact, every one except Ruth Rose is reunited with their furry or feathered friends. What can it all mean? The three sleuths know that something fishy is going on, even after the animals are returned, and they are determined to find the solution.

As with previous books, the mystery is original, interesting, and moves at a brisk pace; and while older readers will be able to solve it rather early on in the story, the young target audience should find it just challenging enough. Actually, I had to read several chapters before I was able to put the pieces together, which is a little longer than in the previous books (first chapter). Also, the subject matter is dear to a child's heart, involving pets and the circus. The illustrations continue to be a fun support to the story, and the world of Green Lawn is expanding and developing with more layers. I am quite fond of the characters, and enjoy these reads as quick breaks; I think my girls will like them when they are older. I hope that the stories continue to be fun and fresh, because I know that with mysteries it is hard to always have new clever puzzles. If the books continue in the same vein as this story, I will enjoy reading through the rest of this alphabet series. ( )
  nmhale | Dec 23, 2012 |
Age: Intermediate
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Media: Pencil & Black Ink
Review: This book is realistic fiction because it contains events and people that could be real, but are not. The children in the story are normal children who live in a small town. This town is not a real place, but it is contemporary. The events that occur in this book, people's pets getting stolen, going to the circus, people's houses getting broken into and so on, are events that could happen in real life.
Character: The protagonist, Dink, is a round character. We know about his personality, his family and his friends. We know that he is a curious boy and likes to solve mysteries. He is a static character because although he learns about the mystery he, as a character, does not change. Interacts with support characters to show more about himself.
Use: Read to enjoy, introducing early chapter books, learning about genres (mystery) ( )
  kleddy09 | Mar 28, 2012 |
This is a good example of realistic fiction because it is a story that could be true. Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose go to the circus and help gather information so that the police could solve a crime.

Age Appropriateness: Intermediate ( )
  mchristman | Apr 8, 2010 |
Genre: realistic fiction

I thought that it was a good realistic fiction because the story could actually happen although the characters are fictional. The story involved three friends trying to find missing household pets from around the town. The kidnappers could have actually accomplished the crime and it was a fun story to read.

Plot: I thought the plot was clever and I was unable to guess the ending until pretty close to the end of the book. It is a struggles plot because the story is trying to solve the mystery of missing pets.

Age Appropriate: intermediate
  katie.harrel | Mar 12, 2010 |

Don’t miss A to Z Mysteries—alphabetic adventures that are full of thrills, chills, and cases to crack!

C is for Canary...

In the third book of the A to Z Mysteries—an early chapter book mystery series featuring strong boy and girl characters—Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose get an urgent call from Mrs. Davis. Her canary is gone! And that's not all. Three other pets have mysteriously disappeared - including Ruth Rose's cat, Tiger! The kids are sure a pet-napper is to blame. They won't stop until they've tracked down the thief and returned the stolen pets to their rightful owners!

Each book includes a map and a letter from the author. Parents, teachers, and librarians agree that these highly collectible chapter books are perfect for emerging readers and any kid who love mysteries!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:38 -0400)

Dink and his friends investigate why pets, like Mrs. Davis's canary, Mozart, are mysteriously disappearing all over town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible