Ring by Koji Suzuki

Ring (1991)

by Koji Suzuki

Series: Ring (1)

English (31)  Danish (2)  German (1)  All languages (34)
So while the whole premise is shot as a result of the digital age (what teenagers look a VHS tapes anymore?), it is still an excellent book. Part mystery, part medical inquiry, and full on ghost story; what is uniquely fascinating about this book (and the rest of the series of novels) is the "virus" twist. The seeds of that notion are planted here in this first novel, comparing Sadako's wraith and the idea of spreading the viewing of this infectiously terrifying video to a virus. Without spoiling anything, the idea is wonderfully creative and creepy, especially the more you learn about Sadako and her family. Creepy and creative and a wonderfully unique series. ( )
  noblechicken | Feb 29, 2016 |
More mystery than creepy thriller, but fun. ( )
  killerX | Jan 8, 2016 |
“Tomoko ya no se podía mover en absoluto. La sensación era demasiado intensa, la presencia no podía estar solamente en su imaginación. Estaba segura de que algo se le estaba acercando en ese mismo instante para tocarle el cuello. “¿Y si fuera?...”No quería pensar en el resto. Si lo hiciera, si siguiera por aquel camino, se acordaría de aquello, y no creía poder soportar el terror”. ( )
  darioha | Oct 15, 2015 |
I was ready to quit this book after the first 100 pages . . . the main character is horrible, his best friend despicable, the writing (or translation?) rather bland. My brother urged me to stick with it. In the end, I’m glad I did.

The end has some satisfying surprises. Ring is very interesting and picks up quite a bit about half-ways in. The main plot comes together very well with a mixture of supernatural and realistic elements. I was especially interested in the occult/parapsychology side of things and this novel did not disappoint on that front!

Asakawa is a journalist. When his teenage niece dies of heart failure at the exact same time as three other teens, he decides to investigate. Asakawa clearly doesn’t care about the death of his niece at all, we’re even told that he skipped her funeral! He drags his wife and baby daughter to her sister’s house where he completely ignores the family’s grief.

”Asakawa was lost in thought, and didn’t want to be bothered. He wished his wife would act like her name, which meant “quiet.” (p.47) What an ass!

His wife is completely blown away when he does thing like help with the dishes and lay their baby down to sleep showing that he never does this basic stuff!

And . . . it gets worse.

Turns out, Asakawa’s best friend, the guy he hangs out, has beers with, can turn to in times of need and whom he feels free to share his emotions with is Ryuji - a serial rapist. WTF?!?!

Ryuji cheerfully admits to raping several women since they were in high school - in fact, the first time he told Asakawa was when they became friends. ”Naturally, Asakawa never told anyone about Ryuji's crime.” (p. 93) Really? Naturally?!

”There was something in the depths of [Asakawa's] heart that resonated with Ryuji’s eccentricity.”
(p. 94) Yeah, rape is seen by our main character as an “eccentricity.” ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!

Well . . . like my brother said, you do have to read to the end. I’ll try not to get too spoiler-y here, but there is a bit more too Asakawa and Ryuji then we see in the beginning . . .

Also, the overall plot, involving a mysterious “demon tape” - a VHS recording of part-abstract, part-real imagery that dooms the viewer to die seven days after seeing it is pretty damn cool. I, as well as many others, enjoyed the American remake of the film when I was younger (I still have not seen the Japanese version, but would like to.)

As we learn more about the tape’s origins - a mixture of the surprisingly believable (kid staying at the cabin wants to record his favourite show while the parents watch something else, but sets it to a channel that broadcasts dead air in that region, where it picks up a weird broadcast) with the supernatural (psychic imprinting of photographs) - works really well!

I enjoyed the mystery of trying to uncover where this tape came from, and who the people in the recording were. As Asakawa and Ryuji travel across Japan trying to find answers, I found myself swept up in the story. The final plot reveals manage to work really well - I was impressed by how everything came together, and the reveal of the “charm” at the end made a scary amount of sense! ( )
  catfantastic | Aug 13, 2015 |
Plain old supernatural detective story. The story was engaging and redolent of that dark sense of quirk that seems to shape so much japanese fiction.

I think the translation might have made the prose somewhat clunky and banal but it's hard to tell.

The horror aspect of this was smothered almost completely by the investigation which at times seemed overly long and drawn out. This represents a great example of a movie being better than the book it's made from - both the Japanese and American versions. ( )
1 vote keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
A row of condominium buildings, each fourteen stories high, ran along the northern edge of the housing development next to the Sankeien garden.

"A mysterious video has been linked to a number of deaths, and when an inquisitive journalist finds the tape and views it herself, she sets in motion a chain of events that puts her own life in danger"--Container.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible