The Collected Poems of Wallace Stevens by…

The Collected Poems of Wallace Stevens (edition 1990)

by Wallace Stevens

Member:emily_morine
Title:The Collected Poems of Wallace Stevens
Authors:Wallace Stevens
Info:Vintage (1990), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Tags:20thcentury, american, america, poems, poetry, experimental, lyrical, xy

Collected poems by Wallace Stevens

The quintessential "poet's poet." Stevens used his poems to meditate on the art of poetry more thoroughly than perhaps any modern poet, on the way developing a complex and compelling account of human imagination. He was also a beautiful lyricist with a wonderful sense of humor, especially in his earliest poems. He is most famous for the poems in Harmonium, his first collection (which is found in its entirety in this volume), but I prefer later Stevens, the Stevens of "Man Carrying Thing" and "An Ordinary Evening in New Haven." ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
First read his poems in a grad course when this very book was our textbook; the images invoke many thoughts and feelings which I cannot articulate; and isn't that what the best poetry does for a reader? Check out "A Fading of the Sun." ( )
  HankIII | Jul 26, 2010 |
Not all of the poems are 5 star worthy. But you can see his writing evolve. And when he does it, he hits it so far out of the park you have to catch your breath. His poems can be so deep I uncover parts of existence I didn't know were there. ( )
  lesleyap | Dec 15, 2008 |
I think if I devoted more time to Wallace Stevens I'd appreciate him more. "Emperor of Ice Cream" was one of the first poems I really liked when I was younger, for its absurdity. Same with "Disillusionment of Ten O'Clock." One of these days I'll buckle down and put more effort into reading poems like "Idea of Order at Key West."
  seanj | Jul 8, 2008 |
I didn't know I loved Wallace Stevens until I rediscovered him as a grownup. Alice says he's hard to understand. I like his thoughtful male voice, his ancient referential tone, contrasted with his simple language that reaches so deep into complexity. Very thoughtful work. ( )
  sungene | Nov 16, 2007 |

This definitive poetry collection, originally published in 1954 to honor Stevens on his 75th birthday, contains:

- "Harmonium"
- "Ideas of Order"
- "The Man With the Blue Guitar"
- "Parts of the World"
- "Transport Summer"
- "The Auroras of Autumn"
- "The Rock"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:00 -0400)

Critically regarded as one of the greatest and most influential American poets of the modern age, this collection of verse from Wallace Stevens covers more than four decades of his work, providing an insight into the hero of his poetry - the human imagination..… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,244,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible