The Serial Killer Files: The Who, What,…

The Serial Killer Files: The Who, What, Where, How, and Why of the World's…

by Harold Schechter

203257,794 (3.97)3
    Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H. Holmes, Whose Grotesque Crimes Shattered Turn-of-the-Century Chicago by Harold Schechter (schatzi)
    schatzi: H.H. Holmes, mentioned several times in The Serial Killer Files, is explored more in this book.
    Deranged: The Shocking True Story of America's Most Fiendish Killer by Harold Schechter (schatzi)
    schatzi: Albert Fish's story, mentioned several times in The Serial Killer Files, is explored more in depth in this book.
    The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers by Michael Newton (devondoyle)
    A Criminal History of Mankind by Colin Wilson (meggyweg)

Harold Schechter is one of the leading authorities on American serial killers, and he has a very readable writing style. I've read several of his books, and I have "enjoyed" (I am not sure if that is the correct word, considering the subject matter) each of them.

The book is incredibly in depth, covering a range of topics (starting with how the term "serial killer" entered the English language, then delving into common characteristics of serial killers, why and how they kill, how they're caught, and much more). Each section is punctuated with at least one in depth case file illustrating the points already discussed. There is a ton of information to be found here, and it's the perfect resource for those writers who want to incorporate an accurate portrayal of a serial killer in a piece of fiction. Those who want to learn more about serial killers will also find this useful.

My only complaint is that the author repeats himself quite often. There are several places where entire sentences are almost repeated verbatim. I understand that each chapter details something different, and perhaps the author didn't intend for this book to be read cover to cover, but it got rather annoying. Also, the author mentioned a few serial killers without giving much background on them, as if expecting the reader to know who they were. There were a few I didn't (for example, the only reason I've ever heard of the name Peter Kuerten was because of the movie "Copycat").

Altogether, a staggering amount of information is packed into this book, and I'd recommend it to those who are interested in the subject matter. ( )
  schatzi | Dec 16, 2012 |
This is a veritable compendium of serial killers (who they are, how they kill, why they do it) and each killer has an in depth case study, and I do mean IN DEPTH! What more can I say. It was an interesting read with loads of resources for whatever macabre murder or murder type strikes your fancy...my only complaint is that there was actually quite a bit of repeated information. I'm assuming though that the author probably doesn't intend for the book to be read cover to cover (as I did), so he repeats information in various sections one might reference, probably to ensure his ideas are conveyed thoroughly for those not reading the entire book, like say, looking up a specific killer or type of killer. I give it a solid B, this would make a handy reference for a library or for use in a personal library if one writes about serial killers! :-) ( )
1 vote the_hag | Nov 6, 2007 |

THE DEFINITIVE DOSSIER ON HISTORY’S MOST HEINOUS!

Hollywood’s make-believe maniacs like Jason, Freddy, and Hannibal Lecter can’t hold a candle to real life monsters like John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, and scores of others who have terrorized, tortured, and terminated their way across civilization throughout the ages. Now, from the much-acclaimed author of Deviant, Deranged, and Depraved, comes the ultimate resource on the serial killer phenomenon.

Rigorously researched and packed with the most terrifying, up-to-date information, this innovative and highly compelling compendium covers every aspect of multiple murderers—from psychology to cinema, fetishism to fan clubs, “trophies” to trading cards. Discover:

WHO THEY ARE: Those featured include Ed Gein, the homicidal mama’s boy who inspired fiction’s most famous Psycho, Norman Bates; Angelo Buono and Kenneth Bianchi, sex-crazed killer cousins better known as the Hillside Stranglers; and the Beanes, a fifteenth-century cave-dwelling clan with an insatiable appetite for human flesh

HOW THEY KILL: They shoot, stab, and strangle. Butcher, bludgeon, and burn. Drown, dismember, and devour . . . and other methods of massacre too many and monstrous to mention here.

WHY THEY DO IT: For pleasure and for profit. For celebrity and for “companionship.” For the devil and for dinner. For the thrill of it, for the hell of it, and because “such men are monsters, who live . . .
beyond the frontiers of madness.”

PLUS: in-depth case studies, classic killers’ nicknames, definitions of every kind of deviance and derangement, and much, much more.

For more than one hundred profiles of lethal loners and killer couples, Bluebeards and black widows, cannibals and copycats— this is an indispensable, spine-tingling, eye-popping investigation into the dark hearts and mad minds of that twisted breed of human whose crimes are the most frightening . . . and fascinating.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:57 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible