After Tupac and D Foster by Jacqueline…

After Tupac and D Foster (edition 2010)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:After Tupac and D Foster
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Info:Speak (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:Fiction, wl2010

After Tupac & D Foster by Jacqueline Woodson

A good story that lots of teens will relate too, but I was a little disappointed it wasn't longer or had a larger plot. It's a pretty simplistic story about how two young black girl's lives are changed when a girl named D. Foster walks onto their block. They immediately become best friends and the girls try to probe for details about D's mysterious life. All they know is that she has a foster mom and is obsessed with Tupac. Over the next two years they slowly learn more about her troubled past and that only makes them more committed to being her friend. They learn how to deal with boys, racism, broken homes, gays, developing bodies, and more. A good coming of age novel, I just wish there were a little more to it. ( )
  ecataldi | Jan 25, 2017 |
I liked how ordinary and protected the two girls are before (and after to some extent) they meet D Foster; it both breaks stereotypes and makes personal what could be turned into or categorized as a stereotype. She writes about a gay Black man's experiences, a young Black man's ambition to be a pro-athlete, and a young mixed race girl's experiences in foster care. All this while using the music and experiences of Tupac in real life to provide a place to talk about the important issues in their lives and what connects them. They are growing up together and finding their Big Purpose

I would use this book to talk about how growing up is hard, but can be made easier when we learn from those around us.
  kristiewray | Apr 9, 2016 |
I rarely read urban fiction because it tends to be so base and disturbing. This novel had elements that I could appreciate coupled with others that I simply could not. The good - the main characters are strong and intelligent. They want the best that life has to offer and will settle for nothing less. They also deeply understand the importance of friendship and family. The bad - the novel basically reads as a love letter to Tupac Shakur. This man was no saint, and I don't think children's literature is the best place to attempt to cannonize him. Also, there is a great deal of content in this book which places it firmly in the teen or young adult literature category. Why it was up for the Newbery and not the Printz award I'm really not sure. I guess it must have been the age of the three protagonists. But I certainly couldn't in good consicence give this book to my middle schoolers. So in the end, I had to settle for a middle of the road rating. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
I thought this was a wonderful book. It was touching and insightful portraying three young girls growing up and struggling with the realities of racism, homophobia, dysfunctional parents and the foster care system. Because if the variety of themes this book touches on it could be used in many different ways with students in the classroom. It ( )
  allisonreadsalot | Feb 6, 2016 |
I read this in one afternoon. Few writers can craft words and story this beautifully and thoughtfully and leave you still feeling the story lingering in your head and heart when you finish. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
For Toshi Reagon and Jana Welch
The summer before D Foster's real mama came and took her away, Tupac wasn't dead yet.
D walked out of her own life each time she stepped into one of those other places. She got off the bus or walked up out of the subway and her life disappeared, got replaced by that new place, those new strangers – like big pink erasers.
The way I figure it,” D said, “we all just out in the world trying to figure out our Big Purpose.” … “I know I got this Big Purpose. And when I know what it is exactly, I’m coming right to y’all with the news.”

Curriculum Connection:  AASL Std. 4 Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.
4.1.3 Respond to literature and creative expressions of ideas in various formats and genres.

In the New York City borough of Queens in 1996, three girls bond over their shared love of Tupac Shakur's music, as together they try to make sense of the unpredictable world in which they live.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,174,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible