Something from Nothing by Phoebe Gilman

Something from Nothing (edition 1992)

by Phoebe Gilman

Title:Something from Nothing
Authors:Phoebe Gilman
Info:Scholastic (1992), Paperback
Collections:Deborah's Library
Tags:Folktale, Jewish, Box ?

Something From Nothing by Phoebe Gilman

Recently added byGkaufm1, wrennest, kamaly, Conway_Library, private library, cavlibrary, davidgn, Marci.Lyman

cavlibrary | Sep 18, 2015 |
A grandfather makes his grandson a jacket and from there he keeps ripping apart and making it into new things. This is amazing to see because he makes him so many different things from it.
  margaritamunoz14 | Apr 29, 2015 |
Joseph receives a blanket from his grandfather when he is a baby and keeps it. Over the years the blanket gets smaller and smaller as it goes through many years of love. Joseph finds different things to make as the blanket gets smaller and smaller and feels proud to make each one, all while sharing some of the traditions from the Jewish heritage.

Personal reflection: I like this book because it has a personal connection for me because I've had a blanket all of my childhood and it gets smaller and smaller through the years. I think this story is also good for character building because the young boy finds constructive ways to remember his heritage and his blanket instead of experiencing grief.

Class use: Character building to come up with other items (big items) that can be used for different things when they are made smaller. This could also be used for math and measurement activities and understanding proportions.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 26, 2015 |
When Joseph was born, his grandfather sewed him a blanket, as the blanket gets worn out, the grandfather takes the blanket and reuses the fabric to make something else. The illustrations of this book are vivid and include not only the story of Joseph, but of mice living below Joseph’s floor. The repetitive motif of making something from nothing establishes the idea of using your resources wisely and recycling good material. I would use this book in teaching kids about resourcefulness and being optimistic and grateful for the materials and love they have around them.
  harleybrenton | Mar 12, 2015 |
I loved this book because it reminded me of my little brother, Scott, who would always bring his blanket everywhere he went.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 4, 2014 |
For Irving Hirschhorn / Our Uncle ☼ / We remember you with love.
Brodell Family
When Joseph was a baby, his grandfather made him a wonderful blanket…to keep him warm and cozy and to chase away bad dreams.

A modern adaptation of this favorite Jewish folktale describes how the blanket grandfather had made for young Joseph is transformed over the years into a jacket, a button, and, ultimately, a story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:51 -0400)

In this retelling of a traditional Jewish folktale, Joseph's baby blanket is transformed into ever smaller items as he grows until there is nothing left--but then Joseph has an idea.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,759,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible