Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.…

Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God (original 1961; edition 2012)

by J. I. Packer, Mark Dever (Foreword)

If God is in control of everything, can Christians sit back and not bother to evangelize? Or does active evangelism imply that God is not really sovereign at all? J.I. Packer shows in this classic study how both of these attitudes are false. In a careful review of the biblical evidence, he shows how a right understanding of God's sovereignty is not so much a barrier to evangelism as an incentive and powerful support for it.… (more)
Member:Kirk1810
Title:Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God
Authors:J. I. Packer
Other authors:Mark Dever (Foreword)
Info:IVP Books (2012), Edition: Americanized, Paperback, 122 pages
Collections:Evangelism

Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God by J. I. Packer (1961)

A very brief primer on a question that has long been the subject of intense conversations and controversies: what is God’s role in evangelism?

The first chapter (of four total) is where Arminian claims start to unravel. After all, listen to how someone prays for those who are not yet Christians and you will understand what they actually believe about God’s sovereignty in salvation.

This would be a good introduction to the topic of God’s Sovereignty for anyone - however you might answer that same question. The reading can be plodding at times, but at least Packer is clear and precise. ( )
  Pastor_Doug | Mar 30, 2018 |
This is a short book which could easily be read in one sitting (maybe two), but is full of truth. Packer does an excellent job of bringing us back to the true reason of evangelism: God's grace. ( )
  rcalbright | Sep 5, 2017 |
This remains a classic for good reason. For all those struggling with the integration of a strong doctrine of God's sovereignty and our responsibility to share the gospel, Packer's work is really foundational. He provides powerful, biblical incentives for evangelism and, at the same, reminds the reader of the necessity of God's work in unbelievers lives. ( )
  bartbox | Jun 15, 2017 |
Doctrinal Theology
  CPI | Aug 1, 2016 |
This book talks about evangelism in ways you don't normally read about. Packer states its not about the conversion, well not from our stand point. its also not about the performance. Packer states whenever the the Gospel is preached that is evangelism. That way it's less about people saying they were converted, its more about us laying out the message. The Holy Spirit does the rest. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,117,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible