Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge

Green Dolphin Street (original 1944; edition 1944)

by Elizabeth Goudge

Member:LeeAnn725
Title:Green Dolphin Street
Authors:Elizabeth Goudge
Info:Coward-McCann, Inc. (1944), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 502 pages
Rating:****1/2

Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge (1944)

English (7)  French (1)  All languages (8)
Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge (2008)
  catalogermom | Aug 18, 2014 |
Elizabeth Goudge is a fantastic writer. There is a certain repetitiveness in the book that, instead of annoying, are beautiful, like the steps of a dance or a chorus of a song. She is incredibly descriptive, all of the imagery written like poetry. I love how Ms. Goudge writes so beautifully about soul mates, however the rifts between them saddened me. The reason I gave this book four and a half stars instead of the full five was the casual use of the "n" word. I find it disgusting and brutal and was shocked to learn that word was so prevalent in the British vocabulary. ( )
3 vote LeeAnn725 | Nov 18, 2012 |
-- Book I borrowed from library has plain cover but contents are colorful. Marguerite & Marianne are sisters who both love William. There's a parrot, a sea captain, & a lumberjack in first quarter of book. People are beginning to settle in New Zealand with cannibals & ex-convicts. Already I know GREEN DOLPHIN STREET is a classic story of adventure & romance. Goudge is an excellent writer. --
  MinaIsham | Apr 6, 2011 |
A family saga about two sisters, the man they love, and the way a slip of the pen shapes all their destinies. Set in the Channel Islands and pioneering New Zealsnd it sounds like a stock family saga, but it's lifted above the pack by Elizabeth Goudge's writing and her highly individual sense of the numinous and spiritual. I think this may be her longest book and it can be heavy going at times, however it's well worth persevering with. ( )
1 vote Figgles | Nov 20, 2010 |
I read this book so long ago, but never forgot it, and have always considered it my list of favorites. I often tell about this story when the subject of married love comes up, as it has a beautiful lesson. I'm surprised more people don't love it - I agree, a forgotten gem. ( )
2 vote anniemktx | Oct 14, 2009 |
4th November '64. To Leonie wishing you a very happy 20th birtday love Rosaleen
Strangers and pilgrims on the earth...seek a country.

A haunting love story set in the Channel Islands and New Zealand in the 19th century.

William, whose hypnotic, masculine presence made two women adore him... of Marianne, moody, passionate, brilliant, by whom William was both fascinated and repelled... of Marguerite, Marianne's beautiful sister whom William wanted with all his heart.

They had both loved him for years. Now they were waiting for him to return from his journeys and claim his bride.

Elizabeth Goudge (1900-1984) was a prolific British author of novels, children's fantasies, and inspirational works. She is widely loved for her elegant prose, profound insight into human personalities, and vivid descriptions of beauty. Green Dolphin Street (1944) is Elizabeth Goudge's most famous novel for adults, winner of a Literary Guild award and adapted into a movie starring Lana Turner. A romance like no other, it is a saga of human and divine love spanning decades and the globe--from the Channel Islands to New Zealand. The Times of London praised the book as "a story of ultimate love, determination, devotion and forgiveness, powerfully and yet beautifully written." This new edition is part of the Elizabeth Goudge Classics series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:48 -0400)

The lives of sisters Marianne and Marguerite take very unexpected courses when William, the man they both adore, writes after a ten year absence and asks for Marianne's hand in marriage, even though it is Marguerite he has always loved.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,892,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible