Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent

Holy Blood, Holy Grail (edition 1983)

by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, Henry Lincoln

Series: HBHG (1)

Member:Liebding
Title:Holy Blood, Holy Grail
Authors:Michael Baigent
Other authors:Richard Leigh, Henry Lincoln
Info:Dell (1983), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages

The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail by Michael Baigent

Recently added bykoharteh, streiber, RobPoulton, iaitigerlilly2, bmaynard, karenmarie, TCT-SLE, private library, hknappe
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: One is a cracking, very readable conspiracy theory. The other is an intelligent thriller which makes fun of such books, their writers and their readers. Both are great fun
    Inside the Priory of Sion by Robert Howells (Sensei-CRS)
    The Sion Revelation: The Truth About the Guardians of Christ's Sacred Bloodline by Lynn Picknett (Sensei-CRS)
    The Vessel of God / Porto do Graal by Boyd Rice (Sensei-CRS)
    Jésus; ou, Le mortel secret des Templiers by Robert Ambelain (Sensei-CRS)
    Beyond Enlightenment: Occultism and Politics in Modern France by David Allen Harvey (Sensei-CRS)
    The Templars: The Dramatic History of the Knights Templar, the Most Powerful Military Order of the Crusades by Piers Paul Read (Z-Ryan)
    Z-Ryan: A good general survey of the Templars without pseudo-historical speculation, it makes a good complement with the folkloric approach of Holy Blood, Holy Grail. Not for more serious history readers, however.
    The Gnostics: The First Christian Heretics (Pocket Essential series) by Sean Martin (Philogos)
    Philogos: These two books complement each other. The Gnostics is less speculative but they both turn on the development of orthodoxy and the suppression of dissenting views.
    The Priory of Sion: Shedding Light on the Treasure and Legacy Rennes-le-Château and the Priory of Sion by Jean-Luc Chaumeil (Sensei-CRS)
    Genesis of the Grail Kings: The Explosive Story of Genetic Cloning and the Ancient Bloodline of Jesus by Laurence Gardner (Ludi_Ling)

English (63)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  All languages (71)
Post-it note: "1st American Edition"
  AnomalyArchive | Aug 12, 2018 |
Yeah, I admit to wanting to shelve this under humor. I admit to reading this book, knowing full well what I was getting into. I admit to being intrigued by the very honest mystery of Sauniere and Rennes Les Chateaux in general. I admit all of that, and readily.

From a speculative history/alternative history standpoint the book is pretty much fine. From the standpoint of actually trying to be history? It's not so great. The bulk of the book is based on pure speculation, on trying to tie all the strings together just-so that it all makes sense. It's walking on a highwire while balancing spinning plates - it's dangerous work, and something is bound to get smashed sooner or later.

Being interested in Biblical history, I found a lot of faults with that portion of the book. This isn't from the viewpoint of "dear lord, offended Christian" or anything of that sort. This is from the view point of "Um. Textual critics don't actually believe that the Gospel of John is the most historically viable.. why are you saying this?" The problems mounted faster and faster the deeper they ran with this, until I was finally tempted to set the book aside.

Being brave, I picked it back up.

I've owned this book for ages, and I originally purchased it because I wanted to see where [b:The Da Vinci code|968|The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)|Dan Brown|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1303252999s/968.jpg|2982101] got the bulk of its research from. Well, I finished it. I'm proud of myself. Now to move on to something better. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
This is a good book overall, and seems to be very well researched.

What I like is the rather dry manner in which the authors have written the book. Anyone expecting shocking revelations at the turn of every page will be disappointed.

While the dry style is good, it also means that there are times when your attention wavers, and can make grasping the complex links a bit challenging.

The main conclusion is, however, tenuous in my opinion. Establishing a bloodline with genetic data is difficult enough, and to establish a 2,000 year old bloodline on the basis of documents even more so. I would think that there is some speculation here.

That Jesus Christ was a mortal man, married, and was deified later is entirely possible. I have my own country, and the myths of Rama and Krishna to attest to this possibility. ( )
1 vote RajivC | Jun 1, 2018 |
Intriguing and enlightening. Brilliantly written. Loved it. ( )
  Cathy_Donnelly | Jan 29, 2018 |
The family of Jesus live on in France?
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
Knjiga je nastala kao rezultat zainteresovanost autora za misteriju Rene-I-Šatoa, odnosno ruševina srednjovekovne tvrđave u njegovoj blizini. Tragajući za odgovorima na ovu misteriju oni su nas uveli u mističan svet vitezova templara, tajnih pergamenata, mistike u tajnim društvima, njihovim ritualima, odvodeći nas do samih osnova hrišćanstva i pitanja da li je ono što nam govori današnja Biblija istina ili spretni falcifikat. Rasvetljavajući nam same početke hrišćanstva kroz materijalne dokaze koji su odoleli vremenu i uništavanju od strane onih kojima nije odgovaralo izvorno hrišćanstvo.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Baigent, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leigh, Richardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln, Henrymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Le jour du mi-ệtệ tranquille
Brửle au centre de l’estoile,
Oừ miroitéela mare dedans
Son Coeur doré Nymphaea montre clair
Nostres dmes adorées
Dans l’heure fleurie
Dissoudent les Ombres ténébreuses du Temps.

Jehan L’Ascuiz
On January 18, 1982 The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail was published in England. Five weeks later, on February 26, it appeared in the United States. (Introduction to Paperback Edition)
In 1969, en route for a summer holiday in the Cévennes, I made the casual purchase of a paperback. (Introduction)
We believed at first that we were dealing with a strictly local mystery--one confined to a village in the south of France. (Chapter 1)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440136482, Mass Market Paperback)

Michael Baigent, Henry Lincoln, and Richard Leigh, authors of The Messianic Legacy, spent over 10 years on their own kind of quest for the Holy Grail, into the secretive history of early France. What they found, researched with the tenacity and attention to detail that befits any great quest, is a tangled and intricate story of politics and faith that reads like a mystery novel. It is the story of the Knights Templar, and a behind-the-scenes society called the Prieure de Sion, and its involvement in reinstating descendants of the Merovingian bloodline into political power. Why? The authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail assert that their explorations into early history ultimately reveal that Jesus may not have died on the cross, but lived to marry and father children whose bloodline continues today. The authors' point here is not to compromise or to demean Jesus, but to offer another, more complete perspective of Jesus as God's incarnation in man. The power of this secret, which has been carefully guarded for hundreds of years, has sparked much controversy. For all the sensationalism and hoopla surrounding Holy Blood, Holy Grail and the alternate history that it outlines, the authors are careful to keep their perspective and sense of skepticism alive in its pages, explaining carefully and clearly how they came to draw such combustible conclusions. --Jodie Buller

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:48 -0400)

A revolutionary study explores the startling information uncovered in mysterious parchments unearthed in a small French church that reveal new insight into the mystery of the Holy Grail.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,926,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible