Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor,…

by Nick Trout

424None25,115 (3.77)33
Member:winecountrydog
Title:Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon
Authors:Nick Trout
Info:Broadway (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:dog health, dog lover, dog stories, veterinarian

Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout

(3) 2008 (6) 2009 (4) all (3) animals (70) audiobook (5) autobiography (4) biography (3) Boston (4) cats (10) dog (4) dogs (32) Early Reviewers (6) humor (10) illness (3) medicine (8) memoir (33) non-fiction (71) own (3) pets (28) read (7) read in 2008 (4) science (3) to-read (13) vet (5) veterinarian (16) veterinarians (20) veterinary (7) veterinary medicine (18) vets (4)

Adult nonfiction, veterarians ( )
  sherribrari | Nov 15, 2013 |
Maybe I set my expectations too high. This is usually the kind of book I would enjoy reading. I love animals so I gravitated toward this book with the cover image of a seemingly sad-faced boston terrier. The chance to read about the modern pet healthcare system from an insider's perspective seemed too good to pass up. Boy was I disappointed by this book.
Dr. Trout's decision to take his years of experiences and mishmash them into ONE day at the Angell Animal Medical Center didn't work for me. I think it was a huge mistake to do this. The overall story lacked focus and heart. All his digressions and skips down memory lane ended up being distractions rather than adding richness to the main story. I also found his attempts at humor cringe worthy rather than funny.

This is a classic case of someone who should just stick to what they know. I'm sure Dr. Trout is a great animal surgeon. He seems to be passionate about his profession and has great respect for the bond between pet and owner. I only hope he never has the urge to write again. There are so many great animal books out there. You won't miss a thing skipping this one. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
This book was amazing and I would read it again.

What I loved- I am a huge James Herriot fan and this book was like a modern Herriot novel without the alcohol. The stories were touched me and made me cry. I listened to the audio book version of this at work and actually had to stop listening because I was crying so much I couldn’t see what I was doing. Many touching and wonderful stories about animals. I believe almost any animal lover will enjoy this book.

What I didn’t like- The narrator tells several stories within stories. That is all fine and good if you can read the book in one sitting but I often got lost because I could only listen to about 30 minutes at a time. The narrator would take me so far into an offshoot story that I was surprised when brought back to the original. I would forget what dog he was seeing now and it was easy to confuse the current patient with the past patient’s story. ( )
  authorjanebnight | May 10, 2013 |
did not finish could not get into this one, reads like a diary by list of things to do. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
There were some interesting accounts of life-saving surgery here, but what I came away with, more than anything, was the feeling that Trout anthromorphized his patients in a way I wasn't comfortable with. Perhaps listening to this the week we had to euthanize our 15-year-old cat was not a good choice. Trout also refers to the pet owners as moms and dads, which I hate. I am not my dog's mom, though I may indeed be a bitch. I also found it interesting that Trout spent a lot of time describing how his female clients (erm, "moms") were attired, if they were skilfully made up, if they had any visible piercings and the like. In a creepy way.

Ultimately this was too touchy-feely & smarmy-sweet for the likes of me. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
For Kathy, Whitney, Emily, and all who battle cystic fibrosis
This might seem strange, coming from an Englishman, but sometimes emergency surgery in the middle of the night can play out like a synopsis of a perfect season for the Boston Red Sox.

It’s 2:47 a.m. when Dr. Nick Trout takes the phone call that starts another hectic day at the Angell Animal Medical Center. Sage, a ten-year old German shepherd, will die without emergency surgery for a serious stomach condition. Over the next twenty-four hours Dr. Trout fights for Sage’s life, battles disease in the operating room, unravels tricky diagnoses, reassures frantic pet parents, and reflects on the humor, heartache, and inspiration in his life as an animal surgeon. And he wants to take you along for the ride.…

From the front lines of modern medicine, Tell Me Where It Hurts is a fascinating insider portrait of a veterinarian, his furry patients, and the blend of old-fashioned instincts and cutting-edge technology that defines pet care in the twenty-first century. For anyone who’s ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes at your veterinarian’s office, Tell Me Where It Hurts offers a vicarious journey through twenty-four intimate, eye-opening, heartrending hours at the premier Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston.

You’ll learn about the amazing progress of modern animal medicine, where organ transplants, joint replacements, and state-of-the-art cancer treatments have become more and more common. With these technological advances come controversies and complexities that Dr. Trout thoughtfully explores, such as how long (and at what cost) treatments should be given, how the Internet has changed pet care, and the rise in cosmetic surgery.

You’ll also be inspired by the heartwarming stories of struggle and survival filling these pages. With a wry and winning tone, Dr. Trout offers up hilarious and delightful anecdotes about cuddly (or not-so-cuddly) pets and their variously zany, desperate, and demanding owners. In total, Tell Me Where It Hurts offers a fascinating portrait of the comedy and drama, complexities and rewards involved with loving and healing animals.

Part ER, part Dog Whisperer, and part House, this heartfelt and candid book shows that while the technology has changed since James Herriot’s day, the humanity and compassion remains unchanged. If you’ve ever had a pet or special place in your heart for furry friends, Dr. Trout’s irresistible book is for you.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:00 -0400)

From the frontlines of modern medicine, this is an insider portrait of a veterinarian, his furry patients, and the blend of old-fashioned instincts and cutting-edge technology that defines pet care in the 21st century. Dr. Trout, an Englishman who is a staff surgeon at Boston's Angell Animal Medical Center, takes the reader on a vicarious journey through 24 intimate, heartrending hours in his life; his wry, companionable voice offers enlightening anecdotes about cuddly (or not-so-cuddly) pets and their variously zany, desperate, and demanding owners --From publisher description.… (more)

Nick Trout is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Tell Me Where It Hurts by Nick Trout was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible