Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor,…

by Nick Trout

Member:winecountrydog
Title:Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon
Authors:Nick Trout
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:dog health, dog lover, dog stories, veterinarian

Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout

3.5 stars, but I just can't give it 4 stars. It is an interesting look at a modern vet & his hospital where he specializes in surgery on dogs & cats. There are plenty of references to Herriot & I think he wanted to write in that vein, but the tone was too uneven & he is too callous to carry that off. He didn't get the people the way Herriot did, although he does describe them superficially quite well.

Marg tried reading this, but put it down about a quarter of the way through, about the worst part of the book. He cheerfully tells a resident that it was OK to run hundreds of dollars in unnecessary tests because the dog's owner will be so thrilled that it doesn't have cancer! IOW, his true character really shines through. That turned Marg off completely. I continued on & am glad I did. It never wowed me, but it was worth it.

From a factual standpoint, it was quite interesting, if a bit scattered. Normally, I'd say that would help make the facts easier to digest, but he'd go off on tangents for too long, especially if I could read for only a short time. Still, many interesting facts & opinions came through. While I didn't agree with many the latter he made some wonderful points to ponder.

He is one of the people who is helping Americans spend an unprecedented amount of money on pet health care. He routinely did $5000 operations on animals that didn't have a great chance of recovery nor long to live. He's OK with that & explains his reasons. I didn't find those reasons very compelling, but it is how he makes his living, so I suppose he had to rationalize it. Still, he's against ear & tail docking, his case against it was not only superficial, but wrong in some of the facts & was entirely at odds with his case for multiple surgeries on a dog with mere months to live. I found that rather chilling as his ego overrides his professed compassion.

Overall, I don't like the author nor his type of vet practice. IMO, he's rationalized his hunger for the dollar just as some other vets have. I know the type & will use them. We have one near us & technically, they don't come any better. For tricky surgeries on one of the dogs, we will use them occasionally, high priced as they are. I don't doubt their surgical skills, only their common sense & compassion. For day to day pet care, we will stick with our regular group, a bunch of young vets who really do think their patients come first. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book contained anecdotes about pets and the people who owned them from veterinarian and author Nick Trout that were always interesting and often amusing or touching. There were also brief explanations of the medical problems and surgery that the animals had. Sprinkled throughout the book were also facts about the veterinarian industry. This was well-written and enjoyable to read. ( )
  gaylebutz | Jun 9, 2014 |
Adult nonfiction, veterarians ( )
  sherribrari | Nov 15, 2013 |
Maybe I set my expectations too high. This is usually the kind of book I would enjoy reading. I love animals so I gravitated toward this book with the cover image of a seemingly sad-faced boston terrier. The chance to read about the modern pet healthcare system from an insider's perspective seemed too good to pass up. Boy was I disappointed by this book.
Dr. Trout's decision to take his years of experiences and mishmash them into ONE day at the Angell Animal Medical Center didn't work for me. I think it was a huge mistake to do this. The overall story lacked focus and heart. All his digressions and skips down memory lane ended up being distractions rather than adding richness to the main story. I also found his attempts at humor cringe worthy rather than funny.

This is a classic case of someone who should just stick to what they know. I'm sure Dr. Trout is a great animal surgeon. He seems to be passionate about his profession and has great respect for the bond between pet and owner. I only hope he never has the urge to write again. There are so many great animal books out there. You won't miss a thing skipping this one. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
This book was amazing and I would read it again.

What I loved- I am a huge James Herriot fan and this book was like a modern Herriot novel without the alcohol. The stories were touched me and made me cry. I listened to the audio book version of this at work and actually had to stop listening because I was crying so much I couldn’t see what I was doing. Many touching and wonderful stories about animals. I believe almost any animal lover will enjoy this book.

What I didn’t like- The narrator tells several stories within stories. That is all fine and good if you can read the book in one sitting but I often got lost because I could only listen to about 30 minutes at a time. The narrator would take me so far into an offshoot story that I was surprised when brought back to the original. I would forget what dog he was seeing now and it was easy to confuse the current patient with the past patient’s story. ( )
  authorjanebnight | May 10, 2013 |
For Kathy, Whitney, Emily, and all who battle cystic fibrosis
This might seem strange, coming from an Englishman, but sometimes emergency surgery in the middle of the night can play out like a synopsis of a perfect season for the Boston Red Sox.

It’s 2:47 a.m. when Dr. Nick Trout takes the phone call that starts another hectic day at the Angell Animal Medical Center. Sage, a ten-year old German shepherd, will die without emergency surgery for a serious stomach condition. Over the next twenty-four hours Dr. Trout fights for Sage’s life, battles disease in the operating room, unravels tricky diagnoses, reassures frantic pet parents, and reflects on the humor, heartache, and inspiration in his life as an animal surgeon. And he wants to take you along for the ride.…

From the front lines of modern medicine, Tell Me Where It Hurts is a fascinating insider portrait of a veterinarian, his furry patients, and the blend of old-fashioned instincts and cutting-edge technology that defines pet care in the twenty-first century. For anyone who’s ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes at your veterinarian’s office, Tell Me Where It Hurts offers a vicarious journey through twenty-four intimate, eye-opening, heartrending hours at the premier Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston.

You’ll learn about the amazing progress of modern animal medicine, where organ transplants, joint replacements, and state-of-the-art cancer treatments have become more and more common. With these technological advances come controversies and complexities that Dr. Trout thoughtfully explores, such as how long (and at what cost) treatments should be given, how the Internet has changed pet care, and the rise in cosmetic surgery.

You’ll also be inspired by the heartwarming stories of struggle and survival filling these pages. With a wry and winning tone, Dr. Trout offers up hilarious and delightful anecdotes about cuddly (or not-so-cuddly) pets and their variously zany, desperate, and demanding owners. In total, Tell Me Where It Hurts offers a fascinating portrait of the comedy and drama, complexities and rewards involved with loving and healing animals.

Part ER, part Dog Whisperer, and part House, this heartfelt and candid book shows that while the technology has changed since James Herriot’s day, the humanity and compassion remains unchanged. If you’ve ever had a pet or special place in your heart for furry friends, Dr. Trout’s irresistible book is for you.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:00 -0400)

From the frontlines of modern medicine, this is an insider portrait of a veterinarian, his furry patients, and the blend of old-fashioned instincts and cutting-edge technology that defines pet care in the 21st century. Dr. Trout, an Englishman who is a staff surgeon at Boston's Angell Animal Medical Center, takes the reader on a vicarious journey through 24 intimate, heartrending hours in his life; his wry, companionable voice offers enlightening anecdotes about cuddly (or not-so-cuddly) pets and their variously zany, desperate, and demanding owners --From publisher description.… (more)

Nick Trout is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Tell Me Where It Hurts by Nick Trout was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,339,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible