Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of…

Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish (edition 2007)

by Mark R. Levin

A radio talk-show host describes his family's relationship with a remarkable rescue dog named Sprite, a beautiful, loving, and gentle animal whose deteriorating health taught the entire family a lesson in friendship, love, joy, and grief.
Member:ReadingGoddess
Title:Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
Authors:Mark R. Levin
Info:Pocket Books (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 224 pages

Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish by Mark R. Levin

English (15)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (17)
Read this after I lost a few of my dogs(We had 7 at first) and it reminded me and helped me heal. ( )
  audraelizabeth | Aug 28, 2019 |
I'm a sucker for a good dog book. Unfortunately, RESCUING SPRITE is not a very good one. I don't doubt the depth of Levin's feelings or his grief at losing a beloved dog, but his telling about it is just too over-the-top maudlin, not to mention redundant and filled with "padding," to make what might have been a decent magazine piece or essay into a full length book. And learning that Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are two of his best friends really soured me on the book.

If you want to read a really affecting dog book, read MERLE'S DOOR. Not this one. Nope.

- Tim Bazzett, author of the memoir, BOOKLOVER ( )
  TimBazzett | Jun 1, 2018 |
A tender-hearted tale of the adoption of a dog, whom you fall in love with, and then discover he is very ill. The Levin family and their neighbors struggle to do the best for Sprite as they watch him slowly deteriorate. At what point do they end his suffering? IS he getting better for only today, or is this a trend? In retrospect, was there more they could have done for him? Do you get another dog when your heart aches over the loss of the last one? This book is filled with such questions and the emotional story of Pepsi and Sprite, the dogs of the Levin household. A very touching tale. Don't read this unless you are ready to have your heart broken. ( )
  BrannonSG | Apr 4, 2016 |
This was so touching. It's just straight talk about a family and their dog. It's hard NOT to relate, because this family and this dog, could be anyone's. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
This is a love story of a family and their dogs. Written by national talk show host and attorney Mark R. Levin, he shares his love of dogs, particularly his rescue dog, Sprite.
Already sharing their home with Pepsi, a 6 year old mixed breed, the family decides to adopt a second dog from the local shelter. They fall in love with the adorable Sprite, believing him to be between 3-6 years old. He fits right in with the family, he and Pepsi becoming inseparable.
Weeks after adopting Sprite, he has an emergency and must be rushed to the animal hospital. This is followed by another incident shortly thereafter. The Levin family realizes Sprite is much older than originally believed, perhaps ten years or more! But this does not matter; he is family, and he needs them.
The next few years are spent loving Sprite and caring for him. The Levin family, including Pepsi, is forever changed by Sprite and his gentle spirit. Friends and listeners of Mark Levin's show are touched by Sprite's life and struggle.
We are reminded by the Levin family's story with Sprite of how much animals add to our lives, and how much we can learn from them, from their simple wisdom. This is a beautiful story that will stay with you, especially if you have had the joy and anguish of rescuing an elderly dog, as I have had. It is indeed special. ( )
  nightprose | Jul 22, 2012 |
This book is dedicated to my dogs, your dogs, and all dogs who desperately need a home
I have always loved dogs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,570,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible