Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

Recently added bygoth_marionette, ku., private library, laurasue87, Pinniped23, joyelett, rhsmlibrary
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)

English (264)  Italian (1)  All languages (265)
Seriously thought provoking series and something you could easily imagine in the future. I even discussed this with my husband who only reads in the bathroom. Ha! Reaches across all age groups and makes for some good debates. ( )
  joyelett | Sep 18, 2014 |
A man in 2001 tried to sell his soul on eBay. It's not fake information, I googled it. You can see it for yourself.

Meh. Neil Shusterman's first book from the Unwind Dystology presents you a wonderful different world. You can't abort babies, but at the ages of 12 and 16 you can unwind your children, so that they don't ''die'' but their parts are given to others in need.
But of course, not everyone comforms with this matter.

The narrative is written from various points of view. We have the perspective of the main characters, and we are even given it from the point of view of rather irrelevant characters. It is slow paced. The characters have interesting characteristics to them but they I didn't feel any connection towards any of them. Some of them I even found quite absurd.

The plot is brutal! We have clappers, unwounds, people fighting the system, people with double personalities. So many things are happening! My major issue with Unwind is how slow it enrols. So many meaningless details, so many things that could have been avoided. I didn't feel eager to find out the end, and certainly didn't feel the need to have the following book in the series in my hands. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |

But of course, not everyone comforms with this matter.

sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Awesome book. Started it and didn't put it down till I was finished. This has got to be my favorite genre but sometimes the author gets so "out there" it takes the enjoyment out of it. I prefer it when I can relate and I find myself thinking ..yeah that could happen. This book did that. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  justablondemoment | Aug 22, 2014 |
This book has a really good story with some twists. I really liked it and thought it was intriguing. 5Q4P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this to middle school and high school students as well as adults. I chose to read this book because my English teacher recommended it. CalvinK
  edspicer | Aug 10, 2014 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,739,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible