Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

abortion (99) adventure (36) death (21) dystopia (197) dystopian (59) ebook (14) fantasy (30) favorites (16) fiction (123) friendship (23) fugitives (25) future (49) futuristic (34) horror (25) Kindle (16) organ harvesting (46) read (23) religion (19) runaways (31) science fiction (288) sf (13) speculative fiction (17) survival (87) teen (51) teenagers (13) to-read (146) wishlist (14) YA (125) young adult (162) young adult fiction (30)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)

English (254)  Italian (1)  All languages (255)
This book brings haunting and new ideas to mind on a world that essentially could exist. I'd highly recommend this. 5Q5P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this for middle school and high school students. I chose to read this book because I'd read it before and wanted to read it again because I liked it so much. EthanS
  edspicer | Jul 17, 2014 |
Great book.

Takes place in the future, after the Heartland War between the Pro Life and Pro Choice armies destroyed each other. The goverment came up with a proposition they thought was so ridiculous no one would accept: unwinding. Unwinding is the process of taking a human being apart, piece by piece so that EVERY part (or 99.4% at least) of your body gets used. Pro Life agrees because technically, the people who are unwound are not dead. Pro Choice agrees because it gives parents the ability to get rid of their children if they don't behave.

VERY interesting book. Perhaps it should even be a 5 star-book? ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Great book.

VERY interesting book. Perhaps it should even be a 5 star-book? ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I paced up and down the hallway while reading the last 30 pages of this book. I had been reading on my bed, got up, and started pacing the hallway because I was so invested. I didn’t even realize what I had done until the last chapter or so. I think that says a lot that I was so drawn into the world of Unwind that I began to be just as anxious for the welfare of these characters as I potentially would for real people.

At the core, this book is about the value of a human life, but it touches several other topics. Shusterman doesn’t shy away from hard topics, and he doesn’t let his characters, either. Connor, Risa, and Lev are all asked hard questions and find ambiguous answers. The reader is asked to ponder questions, some directly, such as “how do you measure life?” and “what is really the difference between a hero and a villian?” There’s plenty of desperation in this book to go around, let me assure you.

The world that’s created is real and frightening. The characterization is deep, subtle, and dynamic. In Shusterman’s world, no hero has completely clean hands and no villain is a caricature of evil, which makes it all the more frightening. Connor is quickly becoming one of my favorite protagonist ever, and it’s because his characterization is clear throughout the story.

The premise of the story is a little far-fetched, and at first, doesn’t seem believable, which is the only aspect that had me skeptical of giving this book 5 stars. However, in the book it’s out-righted stated that the “Bill of Life” was meant to be a shocking suggestion to make both sides see how far and wrong things had gone. It was never meant to be taken seriously, but both the “pro-life” and the “pro-choice” sides did take it seriously as a viable solution, and by that point, it was too late to change anything. After reading that, I gave a thumbs-up to the world-building.

A final note: the creepiness factor in this book is sky-high, and it’s incredibly uncomfortable at times. Even though I thought it was an amazing book, it’s not something I’ll want to pick up again any time soon.

Final Impression: This is such a solid book. Between the characters, writing, plot, and world-building, I was absolutely blown away by the setting and premise of Unwind.

Review originally appeared on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Unwind is a great book, it puts you to think about donations, about the love that parents have (or not) for their kids and it also shows you the importance of the instincts of survival. Is pretty well written and it shows you an alternative world that like it or not we may be not too far, the thing with this novel, like a few other distologies is that it catch you because is close to reality, is based in things that a lot of people can think about but can't say loud. It puts in the table the discussion about abortion the concept of soul or the importance of religion, page after page [a:Neal Shusterman|19564|Neal Shusterman|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1246977170p2/19564.jpg] start to show you different points of view making you jump one through another wondering if it will be a real solution, if it can be a way..... What can be the option that can bring balance? I al looking forward for the next books of the series, I still wonder how it will end up.... And how much more it will make me think.... ( )
  CaroPi | Jun 22, 2014 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,524,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible