Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)

English (280)  Italian (1)  All languages (281)
Wow. The storyline of this book is amazing. Allowing adults to send unruly children to be killed so that their body parts may be used to save others is crazy! It seems like every time you think you know a character enough to predict their next action they do a 180 and take you in a whole different direction. The characters all have their own values and morals which really helps keep the book going as well. The quality of the characters combined with the storyline make this book a worthy read. ( )
  JosP | Jan 26, 2015 |
Abortions have been outlawed. Instead, a parent may decide to unwind their children between the ages of 13 ad 18. Unwinding, is essentially an organ/body part donation system, where the body parts are sold to the highest bidder. Connor, Risa and Lev decide to run rather than being unwound.

For a book that deals with abortion, death and the selling of body parts, something felt really juvenile about the story. I'm not sure what audience the author is writing too. Overall, not a bad book, just not for me. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jan 16, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I think everyone who has read the description on Amazon or some other site, will have thought 'Eghh'. It sounds awful, the idea, not the premise of the book. Unwinding itself is almost evil itself. And even worse, it is presented as something for the better ( it reminded me a bit of Never Let Me Go)

I got this book as a Christmas present, and was very curious about it. There were parts I thought were really interesting, some parts that were quite boring, and some that were truly disgusting/shocking. Overall, it was a nice Dystopian read and I'm planning on reading the next book as well. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
I wouldn't recommend this book to my friends, I wasn't really disappointed, but it just wasn't the best thing I've ever read. 3Q4P The cover is okay and Id recommend this book to middle and high school students. I chose to read this book because my English teacher suggested it to the class. MattS
  edspicer | Dec 30, 2014 |
I would recommend this book to a friend. This book shows a true adventure that involves making friends along the way. 4Q3P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this book to high school students. I chose to read this book because it reminded me of a lot of other good books I've read. HunterB
  edspicer | Dec 30, 2014 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,149,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible