Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (347)  Italian (1)  All (348)
Just reread this so I could remind myself of the story before reading UnWholly. Shusterman is a great author and he has created an intriguing and disturbing future. ( )
  searscho | Jan 5, 2017 |
This novel is disturbing in a thoughtful manner. In trying to appease both pro-life and pro-choice factions, the powers that be decided to make a life-changing alternative possible. Parents could sign an order having their child “unwound,” that is, all their parts would be disassembled and sold to others. The unwound would not die, but neither would they ever be themselves again. In the novel, we meet several teenagers destined to be Unwinds. For the most part but with one notable exception, they are not happy to be sacrificed for others. The author does a good job of portraying their desperation to live whole, not divided, and the anguish of families who discover there is no going back. Though the first book of a series, the novel works well as a stand-alone. ( )
  Maydacat | Jan 5, 2017 |
OPINION: My first thought after reading this book was " I need to read the sequel to this" because I immediately got sucked right into this series. I'm actually in the middle of the 3rd book in the series which I am loving this book has made me find one of my favorite series. I really recommend this to anyone that is above 10 years old. I really look forward to reading the rest of the dystology. This book is my favorite book I have ever read and very happy I found it. I applaud Neal Shusterman for the amazing book.

SUMMARY: Connor is a boy in a world with unwinding. Unwinding is a horrible messed up version of being an organ donor where parents sign a sheet and there kid is sent to be taken part for their organs, limbs etc. Connor finds the sheet signed and goes AWOL, he tranqs a cop with his own gun and becomes famous by the nme of the Akron AWOL. He finds a girl named Risa and a boy named Levi. Lev ditches them nd Risa and Lev get picked up by the residence. They are taken to an AWOL save haven and don't tralk to much. Conor ends up finding Lev at the graveyard and becomes the protector since the founder becomes very heart ill and has to leave for the hospital and home. ( )
  JacobS.BG3 | Dec 24, 2016 |
Unwind is a book that is about the main characters Connor, Lev, and Reja. To explain what unwinding is it came about when a war was happening over child life and both sides came an agreement where you could unwind your kids so basically when your child turns 13 you can send them to a camp where they perform surgery and cut the kids apart but all body parts are still alive but the children technically aren't so people get fresh body parts and well the child is in a way dead and not your problem. The saddest part is that this is all perfectly legal.
So basically the main characters are running from this terrible process after their parents signed the papers and this is basically what the first book is about and it's amazingly action packed and has a little bit of romance and comedy.

Overall Unwind was a great book it was perfectly balanced with everything that happened in the book with action and romance, comedy and even back stories of the characters. It knew when to rise and have so much happening at once or when to slow things down during the story it was a total addiction because it was such a good book I had to keep turning the pages so I could just keep going but it was really good. I do wish some things happened differently but overall it was good the three characters in the all cheated the unwinding system and won't be unwound and Connor is a big shot in the escaped unwind world they call him the arkon awol which to me sounds pretty awesome I enjoyed the first book of the series so I hope I will enjoy the next two.
  maleakB.B4 | Dec 7, 2016 |
We read this as a class novel and it was an amazing choice! The students were definitely pulled in and a ton of them, who don't usually like to read at all, were reading ahead and in fact had started to read the entire series. They were engaged, we had great class discussions. It was obvious they were thinking deeper and really looking deeply into the themes of the novel. I was very impressed with the quality of discussions and just how sucked in students were to the novel itself.

I would definitely recommend it as a fun read for anyone interested in dystopian novels. However, I would also definitely recommend it as a class novel for 8th grade or up. It has some adult themes (abortion), but it is written for young adults. ( )
  dingesa27 | Dec 6, 2016 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,750,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible