Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (283)  Italian (1)  All languages (284)
After the war against abortion, an agreement is made that kids ages thirteen through eighteen can be sent to be unwound. Unwinding is where teens from 13 to 18 have their organs, limbs and bones physically taken from their bodies and donated to people who need them. Once you are unwound, you live in the divided state. Connor, Lev and Risa have been sent to be unwound and meet by chance in a car crash. Connor and Risa, who are against unwinding (like many other teenagers and very, VERY few adults) take Lev and go AWOL. Connor and Risa get separated from Lev later in the book. Connor and Risa eventually find themselves in a place called the Graveyard. The Graveyard is a safe haven for all AWOL unwinds until they turn 18. One day the man in charge of the Graveyard has a heart attack, so Connor, Risa and a threatening AWOL named Roland (who has a shark tatoo on his arm) take him to a hospital. At the hospital, a nurse recognizes the three teens as AWOL unwinds and has them sent to harvest camps. Roland gets unwound and shortly after the harvest camp gets blown up leaving Connor with a crushed arm and a destroyed eye and Risa with a severed spine. Connor wakes up with a new arm and eye from an unwound teen, the arm comes from the much hated Roland with the stupid shark tattoo.

I really liked this book. The only reason I read it was because i was told that the book was scary, but the book wasn't very scary though. There were a few slow parts where i found myself rereading pages or just not wanting to read the book anymore, so that's why i gave it four stars. I really like the characters personalities, except for Roland, there were also a few characters who i thought weren't necessary. There were sevral moment where i did not want to put the book down so if you like fast paced stories i would recomend unwind. I would definitely suggest this book to people who want a fast paced quick read. ( )
  AnatoliaR.B1 | Feb 28, 2015 |
I got up to page 138 with this. The first chapter was compelling enough to keep me interested; the author presents three viewpoints here, all with their own backstories.
Quickly, however, I found two things very annoying. First, the author talks down to the YA reader. Second, although this is set in some future time, the cultural references were all of today's moment...and actually even outdated for today. So, even though the characters admitted using old cultural references, it didn't come off well. Because of these two issues, it really sounded like an adult author trying too hard to reach the teen reader...and that's a big turnoff.
Finally, as the pages turned, the author intruded more and more into the narrative and dialog. By the time I stopped reading, it felt like he was preparing to deliver a "big message," which is also a turnoff. Not that fiction can't deliver messages; they just need to be handled with a lighter touch. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |
Unwind doesn’t ask its readers to imagine a dystopian future. It imagines it for them, so quickly and convincingly that it’s hard to question whether it could really happen. It surely couldn’t, on later thought, but it’s a very real, very scary world, inviting very real and absorbing questions, even as it introduces readers to a wealth of fascinating characters.

Unwinding is what happens if your parents or guardians decide to share you with everyone else for the common good. Your body is divided into spare parts, to feed the needs of a population lacking enough organ (and arm and leg and more...) donors. But what happens to your soul, or your self? And who will get unwound.

Risa is an orphan subject to budget cuts. Connor is an out-of-control teenager. And Lev is the tenth, the tithe, of a super-religious family. Each of them becomes vividly real in the space of just a few pages. Dialog is convincing, between teens and adults. Concepts are deep and absorbing – when is terrorism okay, when should finances trump need, and when does the soul enter or leave the body – oh, and how do we know? Faith is presented as more than just following rules, and rebellion as more than just refusing to obey. “Unwinding” the authorities proclaim, is not “death.” But it feels that way to these kids who struggle to find help in a world that rejects them.

Truly absorbing, thought-provoking, and filled with allusions to history, religion and more, Unwind is as much a classic as 1984, and a well-completed tale for all that it’s the first in a series. I’m eager to find if the rest of the books can live up to its promise.

Disclosure: I was hooked by the premise, for all that it didn’t convince me, so I asked for this book for Christmas. I’m really glad I did. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Feb 18, 2015 |
This book is a great read. While the premise of the story is creepy and unwinding seems like something people would never ever agree to the book is well written and the world is made believable to the reader. Initially I found the large number of characters perspectives confusing however this worked well to paint a rich picture of the world and the range of ethics and beliefs of the people that make up the world. Unwind is interesting, creepy and thought-provoking. ( )
  Whitneyadela | Feb 4, 2015 |
Wow. The storyline of this book is amazing. Allowing adults to send unruly children to be killed so that their body parts may be used to save others is crazy! It seems like every time you think you know a character enough to predict their next action they do a 180 and take you in a whole different direction. The characters all have their own values and morals which really helps keep the book going as well. The quality of the characters combined with the storyline make this book a worthy read. ( )
  JosP | Jan 26, 2015 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,228,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible