Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (329)  Italian (1)  All languages (330)
READ IN ENGLISH

I think everyone who has read the description on Amazon or some other site, will have thought 'Eghh'. It sounds awful, the idea, not the premise of the book. Unwinding itself is almost evil itself. And even worse, it is presented as something for the better ( it reminded me a bit of Never Let Me Go)

I got this book as a Christmas present, and was very curious about it. There were parts I thought were really interesting, some parts that were quite boring, and some that were truly disgusting/shocking. Overall, it was a nice Dystopian read and I'm planning on reading the next book as well. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
This was by far, one of the most horrifying of dystopian tales I've read. The premise of this future is horrendous, to take a life and consider it still being lived because the "parts" live on? It does call into mind questions of the soul, which provides for some deep thinking and soul searching on the part of the reader, much as it does the characters in the books. I also like that the main characters aren't necessarily lovable from the beginning, they've got their flaws but you still want them to succeed. Getting through certain chapters required a lot of effort and I will admit to tearing up at parts. Overall, this is a fantastic book and very well written. I recommend it to any lover of the dystopian genre. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I'm really impressed with the implications of Shusterman's social commentary. I hadn't read him in eight years - I read Downsiders as part of a summer list for my english class - and can attest to the widespread appeal of his writing. He's one of few to successfully write an intriguing narrative chalked full of historical allegory and discussions of current controversial issues. I'm curious where it goes from here, and I'm excited to find out. ( )
  suttonrl | Mar 31, 2016 |
  suttonrl | Mar 31, 2016 |
Unwind
Ethan Oglesby
Opinion—
My opinion of this book is that it was very good. It is a great book for those people who like scary books. The story is not boring and it makes you want to keep reading. Unwind is a really good book with a great story line that will keep you scared. I really enjoyed reading this story since the main characters were close to my age. Reading a story like this was really interesting.
Summary—
This book is about three people by the names of Connor, Risa and Lev. The three of them have been identified to be “unwound” which means they have had their organs removed and they are given to/replaced with others. The three of them were hated by their families or didn’t have a family and were sent to be unwound. They all want to escape and they did after they got unwound. Those who try to escape but don’t make it go to a harvest camp. You don’t want to be unwound in the real world.
In the beginning of the story it tells you a little bit of the story of what’s going to happen. Unwanted teenagers are disassembled and their organs are given to other people. When kids under the age of thirteen are disassembled it leads to the second civil war. When the second civil war was happening a Bill of Life was assembled. The Bill of Life (a resistance) is to save people from getting unwound. If you try to escape but are caught and unable to get out, you go to a harvest camp (Unwind Centers). At the harvest camps terrorism and torture happen and many people are killed. Connor and Risa escape from the Harvest camp forever. Connor runs away from his family forever and no one knows where he is. Risa goes on to become a ward of the state and tries to stop kids from being unwound.
  EthanO.B-4 | Mar 30, 2016 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,884,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible