Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce, LAKobow)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    LAKobow: This also deals with dystopian organ donation
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (365)  Italian (1)  All languages (366)
At the age of sixteen, Connor learns that his parents have signed an "unwind order" for him, and he immediately makes plans to escape. He lives in a dystopian future United States in which the pro-life and pro-choice factions have come to a shocking compromise: abortion is now illegal, but when a child reaches the age of thirteen his parents may then opt to have him "unwound," a process in which all body parts are transplanted into other individuals. See, they're still technically "living," just not whole.

I found this first book in the series compelling, and it holds much food for thought. I don't think I will personally go further in the series, though, as my to-read list is already pretty lengthy. Definitely recommended for older teens. ( )
  ryner | Jun 17, 2019 |
A pesar de que ha habido un capítulo que me ha dado un poquito de asquete y que eso de que utilicen adolescentes para poder hacer trasplantes también me ha gustado. Si esperas amor de este libro, lo poco que hay es bastante predecible pero es genial, o por lo menos en mi opinión. ( )
  dieciseislunas | Jun 2, 2019 |
WOW! A full review is forthcoming...
  roniweb | May 30, 2019 |
This one just didn't work for me. The improbable world building and overwrought tone didn't mix pleasingly and I didn't like the audiobook narrator's voice. I think the author was trying to say something about reproductive choice, but I'm not sure what. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I loved Scythe and Thunderhead and have recommended both to anyone I encounter and discuss books. Our 8th grade ELA teachers recommended the series, Unwind, and I am in aww...um...perhaps, startled by the first book and cannot wait to delve into the next.
Such a disturbing world, but intriguing at the same time. It will suspend you in a world of unwinds looking to escape their destined future. Book talked Unwind for my 7th graders today and they are eager to check it out tomorrow. :) ( )
  lflareads | Mar 26, 2019 |

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,566,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible