Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (347)  Italian (1)  All (348)
I found this book to be very telling about how the future could be. We live in a throw away society and children are routinely treated as throw aways. The characters were clear, intelligent, and very believable. It is easy to forget while you are reading this book that it was written for teens. Very good story....well worth reading for any age. ( )
  luann1 | May 31, 2017 |
For some reason I thought I had reviewed this one.

I read Unwind right after reading The Hunger Games trilogy back to back to back. I shouldn't compare. But the writing was nowhere near as good as the writing in The Hunger Games trilogy. The characters were a little flat and the idea that parents would be perfectly okay to basically let the government kill their children and harvest their organs.

It's a little far fetched, but I read it all the way and I'm interested in reading the rest so something got me. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
I read young adult fiction for a living. It's my job as a school librarian to know the books I'm talking to my students about. It's times like this that it doesn't feel like work. Unwind is well written, compelling and incredibly thought provoking. I've cried at a lot of books and been horrified plenty of times but I don't think anything has disturbed me as much as the 'unwinding' sequence. I am going straight out tomorrow to buy the second book. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book even though it covered a very disturbing future world alternative. ( )
  SA_Jane | Feb 18, 2017 |
Just reread this so I could remind myself of the story before reading UnWholly. Shusterman is a great author and he has created an intriguing and disturbing future. ( )
  searscho | Jan 5, 2017 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,182,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible