Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (294)  Italian (1)  All languages (295)
Five stars. Absolutely. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
I have heard nothing but amazing things about this series, so I had pretty high expectations going into this book. I was expecting something incredible, and somehow I was still blown away.

I read this in one sitting. Which isn’t easy for me to do these days because of my eyes, but I just pushed through. I was so into the story and I cared so much about the characters, that I just ignored my eyes and kept going. I had to know what was going to happen next. How would it end? I had to know.

I unfortunately got Unwind from the library and they didn’t have the next book, UnWholly. I hope to buy the entire series soon. I need the next book in my life right now.

Note: This is an older review. So I don’t feel like I can get more into what I liked and disliked about it. Maybe someday I will re-read Unwind and do another review. Better reviews (hopefully) in the future. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jun 14, 2015 |
This book was really well told, but SO DISTURBING! I was horrified when I finished reading it. Yikes. Seriously. ( )
  Misty-Rose | Jun 1, 2015 |
Connor discovers his parents have signed the unwind order and runs away. He is not the smartest and takes his phone with him which the juvies track and find him. Connor manages to get away and causes a huge car accident, freeing risa an orphan on her way to get unwound, kidnaping lev a tithe, tranqing a juvie cop with his own tranq gun and becoming known as the Akron AWOL in the process. Connor Risa and Lev hide in a high school bathroom until Lev leaves and turns Risa and connor in. As the school is being evacuated by the juvies a teacher recognizes them and takes them to Sonna who hides AWOLs in the basement of her antique shop until they are picked up and taken to the graveyard. The graveyard is a old Air force base filled with retired planes that hides AWOLs until they turn 18. When the man in charge has a heart attack connor risa and roland( another AWOL they meet in Sonna’s basement) take him to a hospital and one of the nurses recognises them and turns them in. The juvies inform them that they knew about the graveyard the whole time and send them to a harvest camp. At the harvest camp there is a clapper attack by 3 clappers except one clapper didn’t clap and that clapper was lev. The attack happens after roland has been unwound, while Risa was on the roof playing piano and just as connor entered the chop shop to be unwound. The attack causes risa’s spine to be severed and connor to lose one of his arms and one of his eyes. They give him an eye and an arm from unwinds and the arm turns out to be rolands.

I really enjoyed this book. I like how Neal Shusterman has every chapter told from a different person's perspective. I would recommend this book to all of my friends. The only reason i didn't give it 5 stars is because i think its sad that parents unwind their kids because they don't want them anymore. ( )
  haileyb.b1 | May 31, 2015 |
This book is about a medical procedure called unwinding. Unwinding puts misbihaved kids into a "divided state" by removing their body parts to give to other people in need of them. These three kids named Connor "The Akron AWOL", Risa, and Lev. Lev is a tithe (a person who wants to be unwound), Connor is a misbihaved child, and Risa is an orphan that needed to be unwound, because of budget cuts. Connor escapes his home, and unwinding by becoming the Akron Awol. Risa escapes, because Connor causes her bus to crash, and she runs and joins Connor in the woods. Lev doesn't want to escape, but Connor takes him as a human shield, and convinces him that unwinding is bad.

I liked this book, because it was very interesting. My favorite part is how the old woman helped Connor and Risa. My least favorite part is how Lev turned in Connor and Risa. My favorite person was the baby. My least favorite people were Lev's parents. I really like the graveyard, because it housed AWOLs. That is my opinion of this book. ( )
  RyanT.B3 | May 28, 2015 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,431,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible