Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (334)  Italian (1)  All languages (335)
Para toda esa gente que está buscando un libro que "le cambie la vida": este mismo es. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Wow - what a concept. Very scary to think about. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
The premise of this book is pretty grim but I had a hard time putting it down. I'm feeling a bit stressed as it was so harrowing, especially at the end. The only thing that I didn't like about this book was that the tense seemed to be inconsistent. Sometimes it was in present tense and sometimes it wasn't. That's a bit distracting as I prefer consistancy. The story affected me, though, so I consider that a success.

I'm going to have nightmares tonight. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
Review: Unwind by Neal Shusterman.

The author’s writing was captivating and well organized. I liked how he described in sections the thoughts and emotions to where we could envision inside the heads of each character and we got to know them better. Shusterman took a topic that could be possibly the future of our society and it could be very controversial through thought and opinions on the act of being either pro-life or pro-choice. While I read the book I thought of how technology has come so far and how people strive to live longer. I know this is fiction but just stop and think about it for a minute, couldn’t it become a reality?

Alright, back to the book. I thought it was amazing. I enjoyed the subject matter and the three main characters. Conner seemed like the bad teen of the three. He was rebellious and his parents were sending him to a harvest camp for unwinding because they couldn’t control him anymore. Risa was humble and quiet but street smart who grew up in an orphanage and abused. She was also being sent to a harvest camp because the orphanage wanted to make room for younger children. Then we have Lev who was a privilege kid and brought up as a tithe (a person who was willing to give his entire body up to others) and it came Lev’s time to give himself to the harvest camp.

Between the ages of thirteen and seventeen is the only time a person can be unwound. (It’s giving every organ, bone mass, the entire body down to the fingernail to the harvest camp to be distributed among people who are at risk of dying). This is where the topic of pro-life and pro-choice comes in. Towards the highlight of the story Shusterman uses one of the other characters in the book to explain the process of being unwound while still alive….

There is also storking which makes the story interesting. There is no longer the process of abortion. Instead if a women who does not want her baby has the right to place the baby on someone’s door step (storking) and make them the owner of that child. Sometimes a baby will be passed around a neighborhood on different door steps until someone keeps it. It is a law that you have to except the baby, if caught placing it on another door step they could be arrested.

The story begins with Conner, Risa and Lev being brought together through turmoil caused by Conner and placed all three together on the run. Lev is not so happy being dragged along with the Conner and Risa because he was looking forward to being unwound. Than Conner hears a baby cry and hears the people not wanting it so he snatches the baby and now there are three teens and a baby on the run. They end up hiding in a girl’s bathroom in a school. One thing leads to another and they have to find a way to escape, but oh no, Lev is no longer with them. He has gone to rat them out. Then the fire alarm in the school goes off and everyone rushes out the door including Conner, Risa and the baby embedded among the school children. Will they be caught…?

Risa comes up with a great idea to get them away from the school and on the run again. She stood outside the school and pretended she was a Clapper (teens who are angry at the world that doesn’t want them and are willing to sacrifice themselves in order to get revenge). Risa starts to clap which begins a stampede of children running because they think there is going to be an explosion. Risa and Connor are not Clappers and they get away once again. At this time Lev thinks he’s safe and his parents are called and they want nothing to do with him. Lev finally realizes he was not a chosen one (Christian) to be unwound, he was like all the other kids that was sent to the harvest camp. So, he also escapes and now he is on the run. Another character is introduced into the story and becomes somewhat of a friend to Lev. His name is Cyfi and Lev knows what Cyfi needs and is heartbroken but travels with him to give him support and Lev fully knows now what he was groomed for and wants nothing to do with being unwound…..

The story goes on introducing new characters here and there, some good some bad and still more twist and turns to enlighten the story. The reader still has the rescue caretaker to meet, the desert scenes, the helicopter adventure and graves to be dug….before the author writes the ending…..
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Excellent YA book. ( )
  jackandvera | May 31, 2016 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,782,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible