Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (342)  Italian (1)  All languages (343)
Neil Shusterman’s Unwind is a great book about the Second Civil War called the Heartland War. This war was fought over reproductive rights. The only solution that people can come up with to end the war is a process called unwinding. In this society, teens age 13-18 have the chance of being eliminated if their parents sign the “unwind order” which brings the "juvie" cops to take them away and schedule the teen’s unwinding. After being taken teens stay in Harvest camps where they are kept until the age when they enter the chop shop(according to teens) where the kids experience the divided state, being taken apart piece by piece and their organs being sold off to the highest buyer.
I highly recommend this book. It gets and keeps your attention. Unwind is not full of clichés like so many other books. This book keeps you guessing right to the end. What’s more is that you never know what’s coming next. Readers beware! This book is so good you may accidentally get “wound up” in it. ( )
  ethand.G1 | Oct 27, 2016 |
This Book is about a Kid named Connor. He had some bad reputation is his family because He has had Failing Grades and didn't help his parents with and chores. After a couple of years, People had wanted Abortion rights which included Unwounding Children from the age of 13 to 17. Unwounding is a Process wear you are forced to be a organ donner and basically all your organs are removed from your body. One day Connor found the slip that said that he can be Unwounded in his parents room ( )
  ChrisT.G1 | Oct 26, 2016 |
This is a dystopian novel, set in a world where adults can decide to "unwind" their child before they reach 18, if they see fit. In this novel we follow three "Unwinds" as they escape the future their parents/guardians had planned for them.

I really liked the idea for this novel as I thought it was a unique dystopian plot, that I had never read anything like before. Also lots of people have been raving about this novel, and its sequel on Goodreads, so I thought it was about time I checked it out.

I enjoyed this novel, I thought it was interesting, and action packed, which meant I didn't really have any problem picking it back up. I don't know what it was, but there was something that stopped me from giving it a 5/5, and I can't really put my finger on it, but the spark just wasn't there.

The characters were fine, diverse enough, but still relatable. They had flaws, so they weren't superheroes, and the "villains" were good too.

The writing style was ok, although I cant really remember that much about it, I know it was fine, and it kept me interested.

Overall I would recommend this novel, but I am glad I picked it up from the library, as I'm not sure it's one I would have spent money on. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
3.5/5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
Ah, yes.

The YA dystopian novel. I've figured out I'm just really not into this genre at all.

I thought the story was solid and I did finish reading it, but the story or characters didn't really stick with me.

I thought the concept was interesting, but overall, I really just wasn't drawn into the story at all. I ended up giving it away because I knew I'd never read it again.

I feel like lots of other people totally love this book, and if you like YA dystopian novels, then you'll love this. But this book and this genre just really aren't for me at all. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,837,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible