Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (348)  Italian (1)  All (349)
I read young adult fiction for a living. It's my job as a school librarian to know the books I'm talking to my students about. It's times like this that it doesn't feel like work. Unwind is well written, compelling and incredibly thought provoking. I've cried at a lot of books and been horrified plenty of times but I don't think anything has disturbed me as much as the 'unwinding' sequence. I am going straight out tomorrow to buy the second book. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book even though it covered a very disturbing future world alternative. ( )
  SA_Jane | Feb 18, 2017 |
Just reread this so I could remind myself of the story before reading UnWholly. Shusterman is a great author and he has created an intriguing and disturbing future. ( )
  searscho | Jan 5, 2017 |
This novel is disturbing in a thoughtful manner. In trying to appease both pro-life and pro-choice factions, the powers that be decided to make a life-changing alternative possible. Parents could sign an order having their child “unwound,” that is, all their parts would be disassembled and sold to others. The unwound would not die, but neither would they ever be themselves again. In the novel, we meet several teenagers destined to be Unwinds. For the most part but with one notable exception, they are not happy to be sacrificed for others. The author does a good job of portraying their desperation to live whole, not divided, and the anguish of families who discover there is no going back. Though the first book of a series, the novel works well as a stand-alone. ( )
  Maydacat | Jan 5, 2017 |
OPINION: My first thought after reading this book was " I need to read the sequel to this" because I immediately got sucked right into this series. I'm actually in the middle of the 3rd book in the series which I am loving this book has made me find one of my favorite series. I really recommend this to anyone that is above 10 years old. I really look forward to reading the rest of the dystology. This book is my favorite book I have ever read and very happy I found it. I applaud Neal Shusterman for the amazing book.

SUMMARY: Connor is a boy in a world with unwinding. Unwinding is a horrible messed up version of being an organ donor where parents sign a sheet and there kid is sent to be taken part for their organs, limbs etc. Connor finds the sheet signed and goes AWOL, he tranqs a cop with his own gun and becomes famous by the nme of the Akron AWOL. He finds a girl named Risa and a boy named Levi. Lev ditches them nd Risa and Lev get picked up by the residence. They are taken to an AWOL save haven and don't tralk to much. Conor ends up finding Lev at the graveyard and becomes the protector since the founder becomes very heart ill and has to leave for the hospital and home. ( )
  JacobS.BG3 | Dec 24, 2016 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,244,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible