Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)

English (272)  Italian (1)  All languages (273)
An interesting idea for a book, maybe not the best storytelling, but the ideas make up for it. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
read this a while ago, all I can remember is that it was a really weird book, but very interesting nonetheless. ( )
  Ber239 | Sep 28, 2014 |
This book was amazingly good. The entire premise of the story was thought provoking. Instead of abortion, when kids are between the ages of 13-18, their parents can send them to harvest camps to be "unwound." There are various contemporary elements to this dystopian story... for example, safe haven laws for women who want to abandon their babies today are called "storking" in this book... and storking comes with its own set of rules.

Some kids are "tithed." Unwanted kids are conveniently unwound. Orphaned kids and storked kids are frequently unwound. They don't view it as killing the kids, because they live on, in pieces. In fact, in one particularly gruesome chapter, the reader gets to experience an unwind being unwound, with him. They are required to keep the unwinds conscious during the process... Imagine having your entire body harvested while you are conscious of what is being done to you, until the very end.I'd love to see this series be made into a movie, but I am not sure how this scene could be shown.

There are also "clappers" in the book, which I equate with suicide bombers of today. There is one chapter that actually attempts to delve into the mind of a clapper and how they justify and rationalize their actions. The novel, at times, almost has a holocaust feel to it, especially when the kids are sent off to the harvest camps to be unwound and then have to walk up to the guarded building, flanked with other guards. If you like dystopian adventures, I would definitely recommend this one. It has unique ideas, interesting twists on controversial topics of today, light romance, adventure, and more! ( )

recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,469,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible