Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (2007)

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Unwind (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (KenJenningsFan74)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (meggyweg, Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: The certainty of one's usefulness to others being accomplished only by the loss of one's life is present in both books.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (KenJenningsFan74)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (anytsuj)
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (Runa)
    Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman (librarylife59)
    librarylife59: Both of these books by Neal Shusterman depict a different world that should be hard to see as real, but somehow come across incredibly realistically. Fantastic reads!
    Gray Matter by Gary Braver (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Authority figures are, at best, disinterested as children are collected and medically altered to serve a hidden agenda.
    Bumped by Megan McCafferty (Trojanprincess)
    Grace by Elizabeth Scott (Anonymous user)
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (pusher317)
    The Declaration by Gemma Malley (foggidawn)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)

English (338)  Italian (1)  All languages (339)
Keep your head covered and the moralistic bashing might not hurt you too badly.

Very interesting concept, and I certainly can see the attraction of unwinding some of the azzhats I see bumming around the streets, but it does take a huge (Huge) suspension of disbelief to buy into the underlying concept of this novel.

I am not sure which part I couldn't accept: that a parent *would* unwind a 13 year old they raised from birth, or that any parent would *not* unwind a surly 17 year old.

Lots of room for exploration of more adult themes which were not touched on here in any depth: selection based on race, gender, orientation, disability, etc. And, really, would our world be the same in every other manner if we unwound unwanted teens? Or would our entire mode of existence have to be altered to accommodate this?

Anyway, it is YA, so no deep thoughts on the nature of a society that would allow unwinding, but, otherwise, it is kinda interesting and, while we really don't care about most of the characters, I think that is the point... ( )
  crazybatcow | Aug 22, 2016 |
This book has a pretty controversial plot line, but I thougt it was excellent. It's about a society where the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life groups come to an agreement. Abortion of infants is no longer legal, however, when a child reaches the age of 13, if the parents so choose, the child will be unwound. Unwound, meaning they are taken apart piece by piece and harvested for other uses. If the child can reach the age of 18, by law, they can't be unwound. The book follows three unwinds on a journey to escape being unwound, and ultimately find a purpose for their lives that their parents so willingly gave away. ( )
  amyghilton | Jul 27, 2016 |
Loved it- crazy, unusaul, exciting, and interesting. ( )
  karconner | Jul 5, 2016 |
Crazy unique concept, I loved it! Parents aren't allowed to have abortions; children are protected from conception to the age of 13. Between 13 and 18 parents can "unwind" their kids, letting all the parts go towards medical implants and grafts. Instead of advancing medicine or curing cancer they just replace bad body parts with unwind ones. When Conner accidentally finds out that his parents have filled out the paperwork for him to unwind he goes on the run and encounters other misfit unwinds trying to stay alive like himself. It really makes you question a lot and it is surprisingly deep for a teen novel. ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 27, 2016 |
Para toda esa gente que está buscando un libro que "le cambie la vida": este mismo es. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Let me start off by by saying that this is a really good book. I am having a really tough time getting through the first half of this book. Not because it's boring but because of how sickening it is. The idea of taking someone apart (willingly or other) is a really hard thing for me to stomach. That and the fact that the way this story is portrayed, unwinding is an actually feasible possibility in the real world. what's unwinding? Unwinding is when you take someone (they're always a minor), take their bodies apart, and send the parts off so that another person can have them. I bet you just reread that sentence, thinking: "what the hell?" but yeah, that's what it is.See, when they do this, it technically isn't murder, so to them that makes it okay. This is an interesting book that I am actively forcing myself to get through because I enjoy it just about as much as I am nauseated by it.
added by morgan434 | editepub

Neal Shustermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of Barbara Seranella
"There are places you can go," Ariana tells him, "and a guy as smart as you has a decent chance of surviving to eighteen."
What he and Risa have isn't a relationship; it's just two people clinging to the same ledge hoping not to fall.

In this futuristic society teenagers can be “unwound” for any number of reasons, including being a state ward or juvenile delinquency. When Connor finds out his parents have signed to order to have him unwound, he becomes a fugitive and accidentally frees a busload of other potential unwinds. He and his friend Risa must stay on the run until their 18th birthdays. With the help of some adults they find themselves in a colony of fugitives. But all is not well here, either, and it’s hard to tell who’s friend or foe.

In a future world where those between the ages of thirteen and eighteen can have their lives "unwound" and their body parts harvested for use by others, three teens go to extreme lengths to survive until they turn eighteen.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,364,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible