The Little Prisoner: A Memoir by Jane…

The Little Prisoner: A Memoir (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Jane Elliott, Andrew Crofts (Contributor)

2201952,892 (3.55)None
Member:dianestm
Title:The Little Prisoner: A Memoir
Authors:Jane Elliott
Other authors:Andrew Crofts (Contributor)
Info:Harper Perennial (2008), Paperback, 267 pages
Tags:2012, ereader, Biography, Child Abuse

The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott (2005)

This was a very hard book for me to read. At first I did not really understand why she let him do that to her even when she was an adult but then I started thinking of her family. Real white trash. They terrorized the neighborhood and everyone was scared of them.
We have families like that in The Netherlands too and people do not dare to complain cause they know they will be punished for it later.
What annoyed me mostly was that the mom got off free. No punishment at all while in truth it was mainly her fault. A mom is the one that should protect a child when there is no father or if a dad is abusive. if you cannot count on your mom, who can you trust? ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Harrowing memoir. ( )
  bookalover89 | Jun 27, 2012 |
A horrible story. When it was chosen as our book club book the chooser did not realise it was on this subject. I have read similar books and am always apalled and horrified, I admire the courage of the author to relive the experience and hope it helps them but I do not widh to ever read this type of book again. ( )
  karensaville | Jun 19, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a hard read. The frank look at abuse in many forms took me awhile to read because of the subject matter. I, like others, linked this book to A Child Called It, but the sustained nature of the abuse and the difference in types makes it a separately worthy book. ( )
  Pyrex | Nov 6, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I lent this book out before reading it myself. The person begged of me to not read it after finishing it themselves - they knew like the author of this book I had been through much abuse. My copy being an Early Reviewer book, I did read it...and found myself struggling so greatly to write a single thing about it. I deeply connected to it, a book which felt most severely real and full of fear. It brought back my own painful memories. Like others my mind flies to The Child Called It when it rests on this book, one of a sadly true tale of a girl who grows into a young woman all the while undergoing severe abuse. I'm not sure that it will help others take a stand against those who hurt them. I do however feel that it may do something about the public's awareness of these things. I give my thanks to Elliott for this and wish her much strength. ( )
  Kerian | Jul 7, 2009 |
Evil is unspectacular and always human,

and shares our bed and eats at our table.

--W. H. Auden
When people talk about evil they are usually thinking of mass murderers like the fictional Hannibal Lecter or dictators like Adolf Hitler, but for most of us our actual encounters with evil are more mundane.

Traces the author's long-time abuse at the hands of her stepfather, who dominated and sexually molested her for seventeen years before she escaped and found the courage to seek help.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Little Prisoner: A Memoir by Jane Elliott was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,825,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible