Second Honeymoon by Joanna Trollope

Second Honeymoon (edition 2010)

by Joanna Trollope

4021926,569 (3.38)15
Member:evilibby
Title:Second Honeymoon
Authors:Joanna Trollope
Info:Vintage Canada (2010), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Read but unowned

Second Honeymoon by Joanna Trollope

Recently added byprivate library, AAGP, HsLbry6441BVDr, lee6317, amyem58, VeronicaCrothers, Barbara_DH

English (18)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (19)
Not a good one. The characters were either flatly one-dimensinonal or just plain irritating. Edie, esp. the mother earth figure. Though Rosa and her ever fertile friend Kate were a close second. It was just a book about irritating people being irritating. I may rethink some of my Trollopse purchases of late. At least this was Bookcrossing and I can return it.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Finding books about older women seems virtually impossible so I was glad to find this one. There are times in the book when the prose so accurately captures the feelings of being an empty nester that my heart broke a little while also rejoicing that it wasn't just me that had trouble adapting to this next stage of life. ( )
  artwench | Jan 6, 2014 |
I was curious about this book because of the author who is a direct descendent of Anthony Trollope. After having read it, I can say that the genes for good writing (though not political writing, per se) have been transmitted unto this, the ultimate living generation.

Everyone is given a second chance at life, when frustrated by their first chance at it. The question is: Will the second chance prove to work out better for them?

Devoted mum and retired actress gets a part now that she’s a woebegone empty-nester; her hubby gets a chance to have his wife all to himself – oops! The kids come home; eldest daughter loses her job, her apartment, her self-esteem, but will she recover any of those when she gets a new boyfriend? Eldest son has the perfect job and perfect girlfriend who earns more than him until she buys a flat he can’t afford to go in on, causing their separation. That girlfriend has the perfect job and the perfect flat but loses her boyfriend, then discovers she’s pregnant. Finally the devoted mum’s sister is separated from her husband, who after forays into wild oat sowing, wants to return, asking for a second chance to prove that he’s changed.

Will the frayed strands of their lives re-knit themselves again?

It’s a romp of a book, well constructed, and well written, of obvious entertainment value, but Trollope will need a second chance to write a book of lasting literary value. ( )
  Limelite | Dec 9, 2012 |
I should have anticipated that Second Honeymoon wasn’t a book for me, having read the blurb and come to the realisation that it was largely focused on a couple, close to retirement, dealing with the fact that all their children had left home.

But my mum, having raved about it, convinced me to read it, and I at least came to some understanding of how she might be feeling about both my brother and I having left, and indeed also, how I might feel about my home, am I ever to go back.

That aside, however, this book was an annoyance. The three children, all in their mid-20s, find themselves struggling with money and relationships, and have to face themselves and the reality that they are getting older, and that they have to come to terms with their independence and make their own decisions about how they’re going to live their adult lives.

The author seems intent on drilling this message back time and time again, but the novel really never gets off the ground. None of the characters are clearly defined enough to warrant liking or caring much about, and the relationship between Edie and her husband Russell, which you’d think would be the key element explored in this book, is barely even touched upon.

I wouldn’t read anything by Joanna Trollope again, at least until I’ve matured well into my early 60s. Second Honeymoon was boring and more than a little patronising. ( )
  kezumi | Dec 1, 2012 |
Story about a husband looking forward to spending alot of alone time with his wife now that their remaining 20-something child has moved out of the house. However, the wife can't get over her empty nest sorrow.
Their 3 children are dealing with relationship and living situation issues of their own as well much to the annoyance of the father.
It's an interesting story about family and relationships but there were so many characters (and some with the same first letter in their names which I hate) you had to almost have a scorecard to keep track. ( )
  readingfiend | Sep 23, 2011 |
Edie put her hand out, took a breath and slowly, slowly pushed open his bedroom door.
This book is by Johanna Trollope

Ben Boyd is leaving home. At twenty-two, he's the youngest of the family and the last to leave. His father Russell, a theatrical agent, is hoping to get his wife back after decades of family life. But, his mother Edie, an actress, is distraught. Now that her third and last child has left the nest, her life turns suddenly and uncomfortably silent. She begins to yearn for the maternal intimacy that now seems lost to her forever. Be careful what you wish for...

Living on your own, it seems, may not be as glamorous as it's cracked up to be. Ben's brother, Matthew, is wrestling with a relationship in which he earns less than his successful girlfriend. Their sister Rosa is wrestling with debt, and the end of a turbulent love affair. Rosa is the first of the Boyd children to think she may have to move back in with her parents—just until she can make ends meet again.

Before long, a mother-and-child reunion is in full swing: life away from the nest has proven to be unexpectedly daunting to the children, who one-by-one return home, bringing their troubles. With an unannounced new phase of parenthood suddenly stretching ahead of her, Edie finds her home more crowded than ever.

Meet the Boyd family and the empty nest - whilst Matthew and Rosa struggle to adapt to life on their own, Ben is preparing to leave the nest for the first time. Mother Edie is distraught, but father Russell is looking forward to getting his wife back after decades of family life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible