Searching Issues by Nicky Gumbel

Searching Issues

by Nicky Gumbel

This book is suggested reading for those doing the Alpha course. I read it trying to put myself in the position of someone who either doesn’t believe in God, or who has just come to God and wants answers to these questions, but of course, answering them is not an easy thing to do.

I found Gumbel’s style of writing quite patronising and also dated. One would hope that more recent editions might reflect the 2010s rather than the 1990s when it was first published. I found his chapter on homosexuality particularly patronising. I know that the bible teaches that homosexuality is wrong… and this, for me, is the main stumbling block when it comes to religion. Nicky talks about gays being ‘cured’ – but I don’t see it as an illness that needs curing. I don’t believe that people choose their sexuality. I also don’t believe that God, who is merciful, would turn his back on someone just because of their sexuality. With regards to this subject, the church and I will just have to agree to disagree.

The question about other religions is an interesting one. It’s very much presented as “it’s my way or the highway” – but none of us will no the truth until the day we die. Again, I would have expected more tolerance.

I think evangelical Christians will love this book – but those with no faith will not be persuaded by its answers. ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |

A revolutionary ten-week introduction to Christianity that is now being used in 65 countries, Alpha is a powerful and provocative investigation of God, salvation, the Bible, basic theology, and more. Designed for seekers, new church members, couples preparing for marriage, and those who want to brush up on the basics of the faith, Alpha creates a safe environment for all students, no matter how long they've been -- or if they are -- believers.

Why does God allow suffering?

Do all religions lead to God?

What about the New Age?

Is there anything wrong with sex outside of marriage?

Tough, real questions . . . that require straight answers. Nicky Gumbel discusses these and three other common objections to the Christian faith.

Searching Issues is for those seeking insights into some of the most difficult and complex questions surrounding Christianity. Thsi book is also for those interested in bringing their friends to Christ. Whether you are studying on your own or with a small group, you will find helpful answers.

Nickey Gumbel studied law at Cambridge and theology at Oxford, practiced as a lawyer, and is now ordained and on the staff of Holy Trinity Brompton Church in London. He is also the author of Questions of Life, Why Jesus?, Why Christmas?, A Life Worth Living, and Challenging Lifestyle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:48 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,385,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible