The Hard Way by Lee Child

The Hard Way (2006)

by Lee Child

Series: Jack Reacher (10), Jack Reacher Chronology (12)

Edward Lane runs a highly illegal, highly profitable soldiers-for-hire operation, so he will pay any amount to get his beautiful wife and child back from their kidnappers. And then he'll turn Jack Reacher loose with a vengeance because Reacher is the best man hunter in the world.
    The Rescue by Steven Konkoly (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Another reviewer compared this novel to Child's "Jack Reacher" novels, but said Reacher is a more complex character than Decker.

English (64)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (68)
Enjoyed this, and the finale in the English countryside was good if a little unbelievable. No abrupt ending for a change. ( )
  libgirl69 | Jan 26, 2020 |
Coming in 10th by publishing order, or 12th by chronological order in the Jack Reacher series is The Hard Way. Like those before it, it is primarily the story of lone hero Jack Reacher against all odds that the world can throw at him.

Whilst this novel initially varies from the standard damsel in distress requiring Reacher's immediate assistance; it starts with the theft of a car. This draws Reacher into the orbit of a mercenary group whose leader has had their life and step-child kidnapped. It is not long though until we are introduced to a female character who conscience needs his unique touch, then towards the end of the novel the classic female character in need of rescue is brought to the foreground.

Is it a terrible book? Not by any means, it is interesting and quite enthralling although I must say I picked up on where things were going quite early on which was a tad disappointing. I do enjoy when the ending of a book is a genuine surprise that the author springs upon you.

Overall, a solid addition to the series, and an entry that could quite easily stand alone for the casual reader not interested in picking up a series from the beginning. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Oct 25, 2019 |
These books are always a good romp, well constructed with a twist or two. Very enjoyable. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
This has been one of my favourite Jack Reacher books so far, even though I figured out much of the twisty plot before Jack did. ( )
1 vote CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |
I really just picked this up for a reading challenge but once i started this i could not put it down. My first Reacher book and i LOVED IT!!!!!

I did realize who the bad guy was quite fast which wasn’t what i typically like. The amount of detail in this book was amazing. I felt like i knew everything and was there when it was taking place. The book kept my attention the whole time which is saying a lot since i am easily distracted. This book almost reminded me of a James Bond type movie…..
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |

Child, Leeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abergel, FrédéricTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bellis, AndersTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bergner, WulfÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pott, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jack Reacher ordered espresso, double, no peel, no cube, foam cup, no china, and before it arrived at his table he saw a man's life change forever.
Please do not combine Lee Child's 13th Jack Reacher novel, Gone Tomorrow with his 10th Jack Reacher novel, The Hard Way. The ISBN 376450238X is used for both Gone Tomorrow and for Way Out, the German translation of The Hard Way. Thank you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,601,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible