Urn Burial by Kerry Greenwood

Urn Burial (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:katefrancis
Title:Urn Burial
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1996), Paperback, 257 pages

Urn Burial by Kerry Greenwood (1996)

Recently added byJanientrelac, crazeedi73, gordonalong, private library, suzyrez, ewillse, Auntie-Nanuuq

This was a great mystery, I really enjoyed the part about the cave and urn (hence the title) and the end! This was one of Greenwood's better books in the series, it was exciting and again I loved the theatrical ending. I also love Phryne and her wardrobe! ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I love the Miss Fisher mystery series, and this is no exception!

In this volume Green wood does a riff on the classic murder mystery house party, intensified by a flooding river cutting off normal access to the outside world. Meanwhile, there's murder, and blackmail, and revenge sought, and all sorts of other secrets.

The plot was nicely intricate, with both things that appeared to be related ending up not being, and things that seemed unrelated twisted up together. Despite all the complications this implies, I am reasonable sure that Greenwood pulled it off, without getting the threads snarled unintentionally.

There were a lot more characters this time, so it was nice to have a listing of them in the front of the book- I did check that a few times when I got confused, since everyone not in Phryne's party was new to me. Her cohort, though, were beautifully drawn and we learned more about all 3 of them. The others were reasonably complex within the limits of their limited roles, though I must say the Big Bad was not so much; he was a weird mixture of savvy and batso nuts. Still, that wasn't completely obvious to me till the end, because there were at least 2 other candidates.

Very enjoyable, especially when one has read a good number of country house-party murder mysteries! Greenwood has some great twists on them here.

Recommended, and I have to discipline myself not to just dive into the next one! ( )
  cissa | Dec 13, 2015 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'But man is a noble animal, splendid in ashes, and pompous in the grave, solemnizing nativities and deaths with equal lustre, nor omitting ceremonies of bravery in the infamy of his nature.'

~ Urn Burial, Sir Thomas Browne, Chapter V.
This book is dedicated to my sister

Amanda Butcher, dear Sam.
The shot boomed out of the mist.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058368X, Paperback)

The redoubtable Phryne Fisher is holidaying at Cave House, a Gothic mansion in the heart of Australias Victorian mountain country. But the peaceful surroundings mask danger. Her host is receiving death threats, lethal traps are set without explanation, and the parlour maid is found strangled to death. What with the reappearance of mysterious funerary urns, a pair of young lovers, an extremely eccentric swagman, an angry outcast heir, and the luscious Lin Chung, Phrynes attention has definitely been caught. Her search for answers takes her deep into the dungeons of the house and into the limestone Buchan caves. What will she find this time? Kerry Greenwood, winner of the Australian Crime Writers Asso-ciation Lifetime Achievement Award, began her Phryne Fisher series in 1989 with Cocaine Blues. She has written 16 books in this series with no sign yet that Miss Fisher is hanging up her pearl-handled pistol. Ms. Greenwood lives and writes in Australia. www.phrynefisher.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:13 -0400)

Vacationing at a Gothic mansion in Australia's Victorian mountain country, Phryne Fisher becomes embroiled in a mystery involving death threats to her host, the strangling murder of a parlor maid, and the presence of mysterious funerary urns.

76 wanted3 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,102,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible