Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Amazing Magnetism (Magic School Bus Chapter…

Amazing Magnetism (Magic School Bus Chapter Book) (edition 2002)

by Rebecca Carmi, John Speirs (Illustrator)

Member:aecole16
Title:Amazing Magnetism (Magic School Bus Chapter Book)
Authors:Rebecca Carmi
Other authors:John Speirs (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2002), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Rating:*

Amazing Magnetism by Rebecca Carmi

I enjoyed this book for so many reasons. First, it is a chapter book, but it was organized in a fun way that made for easy reading that was also enjoyable. Even though it is a chapter book, each chapter had several pictures in it. It showed the students doing activities with the magnets and it showed Ms. Frizzle being her eccentric self. It helps keep you interested when reading more words than you would in a regular picture book. Second, every chapter also has an example of an exert one of the students in the story wrote. For example, Tim wrote a paragraph on why opposites attract and explains the north and south poles. It is a separate piece from the reading so it draws your attention to something else for a moment, but you are still learning new information. It also puts learning into more kid friendly words since the students in the story wrote it themselves. Thirdly, each chapter has a scavenger hunt question that the reader must find the answer to. For example, “When you are lost you look at me. On my face there is an S, W, N, and E. Only with magnetism will I point the right way.” The back of the book tells you all the answers and this is a compass. This is a fun way to keep the reader interacting with the story and it helps apply real world examples to the science topic they are learning about. Fourthly, the story is informational, but is mostly made up of dialogue and the teachers and students exploring in a hands on way. This makes the story easier to follow with and understand even though you are getting a lot of information thrown at you. The chapter book is set up in small paragraphs and makes for a neat and organized story. The big message in this story is to learn all about magnetism like the north and south poles and a magnet’s characteristics. It also teaches students that learning can be fun and teaches teachers how to make topics more hands on for students to enjoy learning. ( )
  SaraColvin | Feb 17, 2014 |
this is a very good book that i recommend to all ages of children. ( )
  ababe92 | Dec 5, 2010 |
Intermediate
This is a good example of fantasy because people can not become iron filings and get magnetized but it has been set up so that we believe that Ms. Fizzle and her magic school bus can make it happen. The character of Carlos is really developed through his telling of the story. He is a round character who we knew a good amount about. ( )
  bsturdevant06 | Nov 5, 2008 |
This books goes wonderful with the magnet unit for 3rd grade science ( )
  Dorina1 | Jun 16, 2008 |

Get ready for some serious science fun when the Friz takes on the most attractive topic of all: Magnetism!

Hi, I'm Carlos - one of the kids in Ms. Frizzle's class. I know Ms. Frizzle thinks of some weird ways to teach about science, but challenging Mr. O'Neatly's class to a science contest was her craziest idea to date. Mr. O'Neatly's class always wins everything!

The contest topic was magnetism, and we hadn't even started our unit yet. The Friz said she thought we'd have a natural attraction to the topic, but nothing could have prepared us for what happened next. Wait til' you hear about this!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:29 -0400)

Mrs. Frizzle's class challenges Mr. Order's class to a science contest, where the topic of the contest is magnetism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,704,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible