Más oscuro que la noche by Michael…

Más oscuro que la noche (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Michael Connelly, Javier Guerrero (Translator)

Member:sora91
Title:Más oscuro que la noche
Authors:Michael Connelly
Other authors:Javier Guerrero (Translator)
Info:Barcelona : Ediciones B, 2003
Collections:Leídos, Read but unowned
Tags:negra

A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly (2001)

English (31)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (35)
Listened to the audiobook. Had a major problem with the voice the actor chose to use for Bosch, too Popeye-sounding, but aside from that, this is another excellent mistery thriller by one of the very best authors of this genre. The best one I know, for sure.
Another minor issue I had concerns the plot: I found it too hard to believe that McCaleb would buy so easily into Bosch as a murder suspect, when the murder was such an obvious set up. It just didn't work very well for me that he wouldn't just start hunting down on the "set up" theory and give it the predominance that it would realistically have had. The question "why on Earth would Bosch have linked the murder to his own name??" comes out only once and without the strength that it should have had.
I guess one of the problems when reading these extremely realistic-feeling procedural books is that I forget it's fiction, and as a reader I need to remember to give them some slack! ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
Connelly, still one of the best mystery writers out there, has combined two of his characters in this novel. Terry McCaleb, an ex-FBI profiler, now retired and living on Catalina Island following a heart transplant — he has to take over one hundred pills a day — has been asked by an old friend in the sheriff’s department to review some material about the murder of Edward Gunn, a man who had “walked” away from a murder charge several years previously. Harry Bosch, Connelly’s other character, and the one I am most familiar with, was the lead detective on the Gunn case. Bosch had questoned Gunn on the night he was murdered. The murder scene is peculiar, and McCaleb finds an interesting owl replica in the room of the deceased and the Latin phrase Cave Cave Dus Videt (“Beware, beware, God knows”) on the tape binding Gunn’s mouth. His reasoning gets a little bizarre as he connects the owl to a painting by Hieronymous Bosch (Hieronymous is Harry’s given name) and other small details make him suspect that perhaps Harry is Gunn’s killer. He fits the profile, but he knows Bosch and that he is a good cop, so he is afraid that Bosch might be the killer and be good enough to get away with it.
Bosch, in the midstof a high-profile murder trial, gets wind of the investigation and is furious, because he fears that the information might be used by the defense to get the otherwise obviously guilty client off. Soon we have two investigators warily circling each other, each wondering about the other. Innocuous-seeming clues become pivotal later on. The integration of the work of Bosch, a great painter of noir if there ever was one, adds to the satisfaction in reading the book even if the reader always knows that neither McCaleb nor Bosch is a bad guy — I don’t really think that’s giving away anything. ( )
1 vote ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
~3.5

The gang's all here: during a highly publicised case in which Harry Bosch, troubled detective of the LAPD, is a primary witness, Terry McCaleb starts uncovering some disconcerting facts and Jack McEvoy lurks around in the background, digging up dirt and stirring the mud. Long story short: Terry McCaleb, Harry Bosch and Jack McEvoy all compete to see who's the biggest bastard. I'm not really sure who won.

The plot is entertaining, if improbable, and it was interesting seeing each character from each others' perspectives. The conflicts and interactions between the characters as they pit their wits against each other are well-written, and the moral ambiguities make it difficult to choose sides. However, this doesn't stand out to me as one of the top-notch books in the--well, actually, in any of the three--series.

Out of the three characters here, I think Bosch is my favorite. McEvoy has only a cameo role, and I somehow have real difficulty warming to the self-assured and self-righteous McCaleb. Bosch, as a character, is rich and complex, and remains a strong draw for me throughout the series. I love the fact that he constantly sees his mistakes and evaluates his own error. However, I strongly dislike the fact that his character never develops and remains static throughout. Time and time again, Bosch sees how his self-righteous ruthless independence, his cowboy justice, can do irreparable harm to others. Yet he never changes. It is difficult to even comprehend how a man apparently so aware of his failures can continue to make the same mistakes time and time again.

The other element I find problematic is the side characters. No matter which series you're in, Connelly never develops a coterie of loyal sidekicks for the character. In fact, I'm rather sure that the probability of a character betrayal increases exponentially each time the character appears. Connelly tends to never leave his characters in healthy platonic relationships; they might have one all-consuming and hopeful-looking romantic relationship on the table, but it's guaranteed to dissolve by the next book. Bosch's love interests, in particular, never seem to make it through more than a single book before they are discarded and the next one is pulled off the assembly line. It all goes to create an odd, unsettling, and isolating feeling: you can never trust the side characters, because the next book, they'll probably end up as the murderers, or possibly just the murderees. As someone who identifies mainly with side characters, I think it gives the books an unstable feeling, a lack of solidity that other long-running series develop.

Connelly spent about 12 years on the crime beat, so his description of the police world is thorough, accurate, and natural. It's one of the highlights of the books for me. At the same time, every single book I've read contains incredible corruption within the police department, yet Internal Affairs and similar are vilified. Defence attorneys are also portrayed as immoral and sleazy. This seems hypocritical to me. If the police system is truly so decadent, then there must be ways to watch the watchers. It always leaves me wondering what on earth IAD did to Connelly during his writing career.

What keeps bringing me back to these books is the underlying depth. In an interview, Connelly commented that he writes books to try to tease out answers to the questions and problems that plague his own spirit. Again and again, Connelly tackles Nietzsche'a question of how the hunter of monsters can himself become that which he fights. There are no satisfying, complete answers to these questions, merely conflicting answers to their various facets. Yet at the same time, one would hope that a character who struggles with these issues, and who seems to come to some peace or enlightenment at the end of each book, would be able to progress. Instead, in each subsequent book, we find Bosch and McCaleb and McEvoy exactly where we found them. Despite all this, I think Connelly's books, especially the early Bosch books, are well worth reading. His exploration of these topics leave me ruminating on my own beliefs, prejudices, and choices. Overall, these deeper topics lend Connelly's books a power and depth that is rare in the noir genre.

*the overview comments were ripped and partially expanded from one of my other reviews of the Bosch books. ( )
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |
I am addicted to the Harry Bosch series. It's difficult to not pick up another as soon as I finish one. There's just something about Harry...and the police procedural process is interesting too. Good plots, characters and mystery, can't ask for more. ( )
  Myckyee | Aug 13, 2013 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinchera, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Mary and Jack Lavelle, who provded there are second acts.
Bosch looked through the small square of glass and saw that the man was alone in the tank.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446667900, Mass Market Paperback)

When a sheriff's detective shows up on former FBI man Terry McCaleb's Catalina Island doorstep and requests his help in analyzing photographs of a crime scene, McCaleb at first demurs. He's newly married (to Graciela, who herself dragged him from retirement into a case in Blood Work), has a new baby daughter, and is finally strong again after a heart transplant. But once a bloodhound, always a bloodhound. One look at the video of Edward Gunn's trussed and strangled body puts McCaleb back on the investigative trail, hooked by two details: the small statue of an owl that watches over the murder scene and the Latin words "Cave Cave Dus Videt," meaning "Beware, beware, God sees," on the tape binding the victim's mouth.

Gunn was a small-time criminal who had been questioned repeatedly by LAPD Detective Harry Bosch in the unsolved murder of a prostitute, most recently on the night he was killed. McCaleb knows the tense, cranky Bosch (Michael Connelly's series star--see The Black Echo, The Black Ice, et al.) and decides to start by talking to him. But Bosch has time only for a brief chat. He's a prosecution witness in the high-profile trial of David Storey, a film director accused of killing a young actress during rough sex. By chance, however, McCaleb discovers an abstruse but concrete link between the scene of Gunn's murder and Harry Bosch's name:

"This last guy's work is supposedly replete with owls all over the place. I can't pronounce his first name. It's spelled H-I-E-R-O-N-Y-M-U-S. He was Netherlandish, part of the northern renaissance. I guess owls were big up there."

McCaleb looked at the paper in front of him. The name she had just spelled seemed familiar to him.

"You forgot his last name. What's his last name?"

"Oh, sorry. It's Bosch. Like the spark plugs."

Bosch fits McCaleb's profile of the killer, and McCaleb is both thunderstruck and afraid--thunderstruck that a cop he respects might have committed a horrendous murder and afraid that Bosch may just be good enough to get away with it. And when Bosch finds out (via a mysterious leak to tabloid reporter Jack McEvoy, late of Connelly's The Poet) that he's being investigated for murder, he's furious, knowing that Storey's defense attorney may use the information to help get his extravagantly guilty client off scot-free.

It's the kind of plot that used to make great Westerns: two old gunslingers circling each other warily, each of them wondering if the other's gone bad. But there's more than one black hat in them thar hills, and Connelly masterfully joins the plot lines in a climax and denouement that will leave readers gasping but satisfied. --Barrie Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:21 -0400)

Former FBI agent Terry McCaleb is asked by an old LAPD pal to help on a baffling murder case, the ritualistic details of which suggest a serial killer, and where the prime suspect turns out to be an LAPD detective. Harry Bosch is up to his neck in a high profile case: a movie director is charged with murdering an actress. His investigation tangles with McCaleb's.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible