Más oscuro que la noche by Michael…

Más oscuro que la noche (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Michael Connelly, Javier Guerrero (Translator)

Member:sora91
Title:Más oscuro que la noche
Authors:Michael Connelly
Other authors:Javier Guerrero (Translator)
Info:Barcelona : Ediciones B, 2003
Collections:Leídos, Read but unowned
Tags:negra

A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly (2001)

English (34)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (38)
I love the Terry McCaleb series however, was not wild about the ending. I am playing catch up with the older Connelly books, as have read most of the new ones. Loved the character Terry, a retired FBI agent who starred in the bestseller "Blood Work," - he is asked by the LAPD to help them investigate a series of murders that have them baffled. They are the kind of ritualized killings McCaleb specialized in solving with the FBI, and he is reluctantly drawn from his peaceful new life back into the horror and excitement of tracking down a terrifying homicidal maniac. More horrifying still, the suspect who seems to fit the profile that McCaleb develops is someone he has known and worked with in the past: LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch (which also love)! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
This book is a little different from his usual. Instead of pushing on alone, he shares his pages with a retired F.B.I agent. A further look into Bosch from someone's else's perspective. ( )
  delta61 | Sep 25, 2014 |
I found this one somewhat confusing as I'm only reading the Harry Bosch series and as a consequence didn't know McCaleb's back story from Blood Work. Still, Connelly crafted a good tale and I was able to piece together the necessary back story to follow this title. ( )
  skinglist | Aug 12, 2014 |
Listened to the audiobook. Had a major problem with the voice the actor chose to use for Bosch, too Popeye-sounding, but aside from that, this is another excellent mistery thriller by one of the very best authors of this genre. The best one I know, for sure.
Another minor issue I had concerns the plot: I found it too hard to believe that McCaleb would buy so easily into Bosch as a murder suspect, when the murder was such an obvious set up. It just didn't work very well for me that he wouldn't just start hunting down on the "set up" theory and give it the predominance that it would realistically have had. The question "why on Earth would Bosch have linked the murder to his own name??" comes out only once and without the strength that it should have had.
I guess one of the problems when reading these extremely realistic-feeling procedural books is that I forget it's fiction, and as a reader I need to remember to give them some slack! ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinchera, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Mary and Jack Lavelle, who provded there are second acts.
Bosch looked through the small square of glass and saw that the man was alone in the tank.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446667900, Mass Market Paperback)

When a sheriff's detective shows up on former FBI man Terry McCaleb's Catalina Island doorstep and requests his help in analyzing photographs of a crime scene, McCaleb at first demurs. He's newly married (to Graciela, who herself dragged him from retirement into a case in Blood Work), has a new baby daughter, and is finally strong again after a heart transplant. But once a bloodhound, always a bloodhound. One look at the video of Edward Gunn's trussed and strangled body puts McCaleb back on the investigative trail, hooked by two details: the small statue of an owl that watches over the murder scene and the Latin words "Cave Cave Dus Videt," meaning "Beware, beware, God sees," on the tape binding the victim's mouth.

Gunn was a small-time criminal who had been questioned repeatedly by LAPD Detective Harry Bosch in the unsolved murder of a prostitute, most recently on the night he was killed. McCaleb knows the tense, cranky Bosch (Michael Connelly's series star--see The Black Echo, The Black Ice, et al.) and decides to start by talking to him. But Bosch has time only for a brief chat. He's a prosecution witness in the high-profile trial of David Storey, a film director accused of killing a young actress during rough sex. By chance, however, McCaleb discovers an abstruse but concrete link between the scene of Gunn's murder and Harry Bosch's name:

"This last guy's work is supposedly replete with owls all over the place. I can't pronounce his first name. It's spelled H-I-E-R-O-N-Y-M-U-S. He was Netherlandish, part of the northern renaissance. I guess owls were big up there."

McCaleb looked at the paper in front of him. The name she had just spelled seemed familiar to him.

"You forgot his last name. What's his last name?"

"Oh, sorry. It's Bosch. Like the spark plugs."

Bosch fits McCaleb's profile of the killer, and McCaleb is both thunderstruck and afraid--thunderstruck that a cop he respects might have committed a horrendous murder and afraid that Bosch may just be good enough to get away with it. And when Bosch finds out (via a mysterious leak to tabloid reporter Jack McEvoy, late of Connelly's The Poet) that he's being investigated for murder, he's furious, knowing that Storey's defense attorney may use the information to help get his extravagantly guilty client off scot-free.

It's the kind of plot that used to make great Westerns: two old gunslingers circling each other warily, each of them wondering if the other's gone bad. But there's more than one black hat in them thar hills, and Connelly masterfully joins the plot lines in a climax and denouement that will leave readers gasping but satisfied. --Barrie Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:21 -0400)

Former FBI agent Terry McCaleb is asked by an old LAPD pal to help on a baffling murder case, the ritualistic details of which suggest a serial killer, and where the prime suspect turns out to be an LAPD detective. Harry Bosch is up to his neck in a high profile case: a movie director is charged with murdering an actress. His investigation tangles with McCaleb's.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,327,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible