What Was I Scared Of? by Dr. Seuss

What Was I Scared Of?

by Dr. Seuss

465822,298 (4)2

This Dr. Seuss book is about fearing that which we do not understand, namely others who do not look like us. I like this book for three reasons. To start, the writing is rhythmic and cleverly rhymed. One of my favorite passages reads, “I said,’ I do not fear those pants With nobody inside them.’ I said, and said, and said those words. I said them. But I lied them.” I also like how the illustrations are all a blueish green except for the main character, the pale green pants, and the moon. It lends to the sense of an eerie darkness, and creates a focus on the two characters. Finally, I like how, even though the story and the characters are unreal, the point Dr. Seuss makes about fear hits home. Once the characters learn that the other is harmless, they become friendly and even say “Hi!” whenever they see each other. ( )
  jmille113 | Feb 10, 2015 |
The mystery of the floating pants. The character keeps telling himself that he is not afraid when he really is. Everywhere he went the pants showed up mysteriously scaring him. In the end the pants and he were afraid of each other. After realizing this they became friends and are not afraid anymore. Some things may not always seem what they appear to be. ( )
  amccann | Oct 2, 2014 |
What's a pair of empty green pants doing standing in the woods? The narrator of What Was I Scared Of? has no idea and certainly doesn't want to find out. But whether he's fishing or shopping for spinach, he seems destined to be haunted by the spooky empty pants. It takes being trapped in a side bush for the truth to come out and realization to dawn with wonderful Seussian simplicity. **SRC Quiz**
  law2110 | Dec 31, 2012 |
Dr. Seuss' "What Was I Scared Of?" Is a cute book with glow-in-the-dark illustrations about a pair of pants with no one inside them. As in all his works, the words are simple and rhyming and is an appropriate length for the target age group. In a classroom, setting, students can discuss what things make them scared when the lights are off. Students could also draw a person inside of the pants that made the character so scared. ( )
1 vote katemccormick2011 | Dec 2, 2012 |
A book about a little boy who is afraid of the dark. ( )
  abarnes012892 | Nov 21, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0590120417, Hardcover)

COLLECTABLE-FIRST SCHOLASTIC PRINTING SEP.1997-I SHIP DAILY FROM OREGON /TRACKING ID,SMOKE FREE HOME

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

The narrator is frightened by a pair of pale green pants with no one inside that seems to be following him, until the two meet and discover that they have nothing to fear.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,881,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible