Blindsighted: A Novel by Karin Slaughter

Blindsighted: A Novel (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Karin Slaughter

Member:VictoriaPL
Title:Blindsighted: A Novel
Authors:Karin Slaughter
Info:William Morrow (2001), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, 2013 Category Challenge
Rating:****1/2
Tags:format - hardcover, needs mylar, read 2013, 2013CC

Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter (2001)

English (49)  Dutch (8)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (62)
Dr Sara Linton is a pediatrician and the coroner in a small college town in Grant County, GA. Going into the bathroom of the local diner she discovers a woman who is dying after being raped and mutilated. So begins the manhunt for a guy who seems to leave his victims for Sara to find. And it’s hitting her hard on a personal level.

This difficult-to-put-down story is told from the points of view of three characters; Sara, her ex-husband Jeffrey Tolliver who is the chief of police, and his detective Lena Adams, the twin sister to the first victim. An interesting, although at times gruesome mystery, that gets into specific detail from the coroner’s end of the story. We also get some insights into rapists and their victims.

The main characters are well fleshed, each with enough emotional baggage that we see aspects of their personalities you won’t necessarily like at times. The relationship between Sara and Jeffrey has depth and nothing is black or white

I thought the mystery itself was well done and you don’t know who the bad guy is until the author is ready to drop a rather large clue for the reader to grab. The overall story is an emotional ride on a number of fronts. ( )
  dearheart | Jul 8, 2014 |
"Blindsighted" is Slaughter's first novel, originally published in 2001 and there have been a number of subsequent books in the Grant County (Georgia) series. I have read Slaughter before, a couple of books in another series, including the well-regarded Fractured. At the time I thought those "Atlanta" series books were good but I chose not to read others in either series. So I did not have particularly high expectations for Blindsighted, and I am happy to say that I found this debut novel much better than expected. The story takes place in a small town in Georgia about a four hour drive from Atlanta. Jeffrey is the Police Chief, managing a force of about 9 officers. His ex-wife Sara, doubles as a pediatrician and the town's medical examiner. A blind, young woman is found bleeding profusely as the result of a rape/stabbing in the bathroom of the local diner. Sarah attempts to rescusitate her but is not successful. The victim's twin sister, Lena, is an officer on Jeffrey's team. The investigation begins and we learn more of Lena's relationship with her sister and the uncle who raised the two girls. We also learn a great deal more about Sara and Jeffrey's marriage, and Sara's family background. The 392 page story moves along at a brisk pace, with interesting, well written characters and a comfortable level of tension. There are a number of passages with very graphic details of results found in the rape investigation and post mortem, including some paricularly nasty mutilations inflicted by the killer. And this is not the only victim.... The crime of rape saturates this book, and it may not be for those readers who are particularly upset by this crime. I thought the book was well written, yet one major criticism I have is that I thought there were too many coincidences and incidents that stretched credibility. Secondly, the police force seemed to be waiting for events to happen instead of proactively investigating. While the local sex offender's list was scrutuinized and interviews conducted, there was relatively little initiative subsequently I will probably read the second book in this series and my biggest concern is that given a small town setting will the second book seem to be only a variation of the first in plot, structure and character. I'll see. ( )
  maneekuhi | Mar 3, 2014 |
Blindsighted (Grant County) Blindsighted was an okay read. The gory bits were explained in explicit and excruciating detail, which were as fascinating as they were disturbing. The crime itself was satisfactorily shocking and unpleasant. These were the things that worked for me in the story. Where Blindsighted fell flat was in just about every other area, characterization, plot, dialog, and in the relationships between the characters. The plot was very simple, someone killed a blind woman in a very horrific way and the detectives are trying to find out who did it. There was little to no suspense or building to a dramatic conclusion. Some things happened, some people reacted, then the culprit revealed himself, and it was all resolved and loose ends tied up simply and conveniently. The plot never gained much more dimension than that. The relationships between the characters, the siblings, the ex husband/wife, relatives, friends, etc, I never felt anything about any of the characters so I cared very little about their relationship, therefore the emotional pull that is usually present in these type of stories was missing for me. A lot of personal stories of traumatic events experienced by these characters was kind of thrown at the reader I assume to create that connection, but it fell far short because of the lack of life and personality shown by the characters themselves. They never gained a distinctive "voice" within the story and were all just paper thin and lifeless, I remained completely disconnected from them which ultimately kills a story for me. The ending was anticlimactic, mainly because I didn't really care at that point about the characters and had no idea who the villain was or why he was doing what he did. I had very little invested into the story and the ending wasn't anything resembling suspenseful or action packed. Questions were answered but only in the most basic surface kind of way, exactly like all the rest of the plot, characters, etc. It was all very shallow. The crime itself, and the autopsy, were the most interesting thing about the book. So, Blindsighted was mildly interesting because of the nature of the crime and the shocking gory details, but is definitely not a book I would recommend, although I will say that I did finish the book which, in itself says that it is readable because I rarely hesitate to put down a book that loses me. I will continue reading this author who is highly recommended by several reviewers whose opinions I value so I assume the quality of the storytelling improves in her other books. ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |

Levinson, NuritTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parpola, InkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaner, TejaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tunçman, Lale AykentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor mijn pappie, die me heeft geleerd van het Zuiden te houden, en voor Billie Bennett, die me heeft aangemoedigd erover te schrijven.
Monday
Sara Linton leaned back in her chair, mumbling a soft "Yes, Mama" into the telephone.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380820889, Mass Market Paperback)

In Blindsighted (book one of an anticipated three featuring Grant County, Georgia, pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton), first-time novelist Karin Slaughter comes out swinging in true medical examiner fashion. That is to say, covered with blood from the get-go.

Without warning, the body jerked violently, pitching forward and slamming Sara onto the floor. Blood spread out around both of them, and Sara instinctively clawed to get out from under the convulsing woman. With her feet and hands she groped for some kind of purchase on the slick bathroom floor. Finally, Sara managed to slide out from underneath her. She turned Sibyl over, cradling her head, trying to help her through the convulsions. Suddenly, the jerking stopped.

Sibyl is, or was, Sibyl Adams, a college professor who had the misfortune of being drugged, savagely raped, slashed, and left for dead in the toilet of the local diner, to be coincidentally discovered by Sara Linton. Coincidences don't stop there, and neither do the rapes and murders. The next is, unimaginably, still more gruesome than the first and it, too, is discovered by Dr. Linton. Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver is Sara's ex-husband, and mercurial detective Lena Adams, another major player in the ensuing drama, was Sibyl's twin sister.

And the monster behind these increasingly more depraved acts? Suspects abound, from the diner's jack-of-all-trades, Will Harris, to Victim No. 2's boyfriend, to Jack Allen Wright who, a dozen years prior, raped Dr. Linton (that rape had been a secret until now). There are other possibilities, naturally, and it soon becomes apparent that Sara's an intended target.

A graduate of the Patricia Cornwell school of mayhem and gore, Slaughter has faithfully stitched together a fast, engaging, and diverting read complete with a strong-yet-vulnerable heroine. Characters are nicely if somewhat obviously drawn, the plot is inventive, and the narrative's pacing quickens the pulse straight to the cliff-hanging denouement. And really, what more can you ask of an ME thriller? --Michael Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

Pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton, her ex-husband and chief of police Jeffrey Tolliver, and detective Lena Adams are on the case when a sadistic rapist and murderer begins targeting women in Grant County.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,619,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible