Blindsighted: A Novel by Karin Slaughter

Blindsighted: A Novel (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Karin Slaughter

Member:VictoriaPL
Title:Blindsighted: A Novel
Authors:Karin Slaughter
Info:William Morrow (2001), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:format - hardback, needs mylar, read 2013, 2013CC

Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter (2001)

Recently added byDLeonaQ, ChristinaT., fbarry28, kittykitty3, crynski, private library, Lauren2013, lilxera, Rena37

English (66)  Dutch (8)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  English (79)
Blindsighted
4 Stars

Warning: this book is not for the squeamish or faint of heart as the crimes are described in gruesome and horrific detail.

While the characters are very compelling it is difficult to say that they are likable. They are all seriously flawed from Sara, the local pediatrician/coroner, with a devastating secret to Jeffrey, the local police chief and Sara's unfaithful ex-husband, to Lena, the hard-ass female detective with a huge chip on her shoulder. Nevertheless, the plot is well-written and fast paced although the villain is a little too obvious- the fact that he uses Belladonna makes him the only viable suspect, and the ending is somewhat anti-climactic.

This is my second Karin Slaughter book and I enjoy her dark and gritty writing style. Moreover, the characters are sufficiently interesting to continue with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
my point: 3.5 star

from now on I'm going to review the book in both English and Türkce, so I can share my thoughts with my friends in Turkey too.

English:
my first book of Karin Slaughter was finished. the story was good and reached the top several times
at the middle of the book. there were some moments while I felt being shocked and nailed to the chair where I've sat.
frankly saying the 2/3 of the book was fantastic and really thrilling and I enjoyed it very much. but the author didn't managed to wrap up the story in the final section as good as the first 2/3 of the book. for example she could go a little bit deeper on finding the murderer/rapist. the amount of thrills that I felt while reading about the details of the case was huge so I envisioned a more deeper end for this really thrilling story than what author has created. unfortunately, author hasn't used the evidences and clues that have been explained very detailed throughout the story in the final part when the murderer was revealed. if author did not suppose to use them so why did she go through them all over the book?
the second criticism is that the author hasn't tell us about the motivation of the murderer and what was said is very basic and common. author could maneuver better on this, for example she could explain psychological effects of a something on the murderer which made him to act like what has been said throughout the book. or if he is a psychopath, it should be mentioned in the story at least once!
all I can say is the the connection between the actual murderer and his motivations to the crimes has not built and explained as desired, so you might think of a gap here.
at the end, I would give 5 starts to 2/3 of the book, but 3 or maybe 2.5 starts to the final 1/3.

Türkce:
Karin Slaughter'dan okuduğum ilk kitaptı. kitabı 2 farklı bölümde değerlendireceğim: katil yakalanma anına kadar ve sonrası.
ilk bölüm çok güzel yazılmış ve kendinizi olaylarin tam içinde hissediyorsunuz. ortada vahşice katledilen insalar var ve acaba yine ne sizi bekliyor gerilim içinde bekliyorsunuz. bu bölümde bazen kendimi koltukta gergin ve korkudan hava soğukmuşcasına büzülmüş hissediyordum. bu bölüme 5 üzerinden 5 veriyorum.
ikinci bölüm (yani kitabın son 3'te biri) ilk bölüme göre bayağı sönük kalmış. ilk bölüm o kadar güzel anlatılmış ki ikinci bölüm ona hiç yakışmıyor. en büyük eksikliği şöyle anlatabilirim ki yazar bu kadar güzel ve detaylı anlatılmış olaylar sonucunda bulunmuş kanıt ve ipucularından katilin yakalanmasında hiç yararlanmadı ve sonuç olarak adli tıp ya polislerin çabası boşa gitmiş oldu. eğer kanıtlar işe yaramayacaksa neden bu kadar detaylı (ve elbette güzel) anlatılıyor ki? ayrıca kitapta katilin motivasyonu ile ilgili çok az şey anlatılmış ki bence yazar bunun üzerinde biraz daha çalışması gerekiyordu. elbette bu kitab Karin slaughter'in ilk kitabı olduğu için söylediğim eksiklikler/hatalar sonraki kitaplarında tekrarlanmayacak diye umut ediyorum. bu bölüme 5 üzerinden 2.5 veriyorum. ( )
  timaz | Oct 12, 2016 |
While a bit dated in technology and cultural issues, I liked this book a lot. It definitely has some graphic violence which is mostly discussed after the fact but in great detail. I wasn't certain about who the bad guy was until pretty late in the book, although I did wonder about the guy briefly early on but then I moved on to other possibilities.

You know, I can't say that I genuinely liked any of the characters but I didn't really dislike any of them. They felt like real folks, very flawed and just trying to get on with their lives.

I'll certainly keep going with the series. I want to know what happens with them next. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
Finished Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter, ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2. This is a very gritty (!) book, which is very readable. Actually a book that I worked out who the killer was well before it was revealed! However this didn't spoil the enjoyment of the book ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
A real page turner that keeps you guessing right up to the end. Many twists and turns. A brilliant plot and relentless suspense! Loved this book and looking forward to the second installment, Kisscut. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |

Schwaner, TejaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thoreau, PaulTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tunçman, Lale AykentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daddy,
who taught me to love the South,
and for Billie Bennett,
who encouraged me to write about it
Monday
Sara Linton leaned back in her chair, mumbling a soft "Yes, Mama" into the telephone.
NOTE #1: Please do not separate those copies of "Blindsided" with ISBN 0099421771, even if it appears the ISBN is associated with 2-in-1 editions of Blindsided & Kisscut. ISBN 0099421771 is from a London publishing company. See Amazon.co.uk - their "look inside" edition is of this ISBN; and its copyright page shows the book is of 'Blindsided' only.

NOTE #2: The known english-speaking narrators for the unabridged version of Blindsighted are: Kathleen Early, Gaby Milder, and Clarinda Ross.
If the narrator is Judith Ivey, this is for the ABRIDGED version and SHOULD NOT BE combined here.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380820889, Mass Market Paperback)

In Blindsighted (book one of an anticipated three featuring Grant County, Georgia, pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton), first-time novelist Karin Slaughter comes out swinging in true medical examiner fashion. That is to say, covered with blood from the get-go.

Without warning, the body jerked violently, pitching forward and slamming Sara onto the floor. Blood spread out around both of them, and Sara instinctively clawed to get out from under the convulsing woman. With her feet and hands she groped for some kind of purchase on the slick bathroom floor. Finally, Sara managed to slide out from underneath her. She turned Sibyl over, cradling her head, trying to help her through the convulsions. Suddenly, the jerking stopped.

Sibyl is, or was, Sibyl Adams, a college professor who had the misfortune of being drugged, savagely raped, slashed, and left for dead in the toilet of the local diner, to be coincidentally discovered by Sara Linton. Coincidences don't stop there, and neither do the rapes and murders. The next is, unimaginably, still more gruesome than the first and it, too, is discovered by Dr. Linton. Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver is Sara's ex-husband, and mercurial detective Lena Adams, another major player in the ensuing drama, was Sibyl's twin sister.

And the monster behind these increasingly more depraved acts? Suspects abound, from the diner's jack-of-all-trades, Will Harris, to Victim No. 2's boyfriend, to Jack Allen Wright who, a dozen years prior, raped Dr. Linton (that rape had been a secret until now). There are other possibilities, naturally, and it soon becomes apparent that Sara's an intended target.

A graduate of the Patricia Cornwell school of mayhem and gore, Slaughter has faithfully stitched together a fast, engaging, and diverting read complete with a strong-yet-vulnerable heroine. Characters are nicely if somewhat obviously drawn, the plot is inventive, and the narrative's pacing quickens the pulse straight to the cliff-hanging denouement. And really, what more can you ask of an ME thriller? --Michael Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

Pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton, her ex-husband and chief of police Jeffrey Tolliver, and detective Lena Adams are on the case when a sadistic rapist and murderer begins targeting women in Grant County.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,703,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible