Blindsighted: A Novel by Karin Slaughter

Blindsighted: A Novel (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Karin Slaughter

Member:VictoriaPL
Title:Blindsighted: A Novel
Authors:Karin Slaughter
Info:William Morrow (2001), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, 2013 Category Challenge
Rating:****1/2
Tags:format - hardcover, needs mylar, read 2013, 2013CC

Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter (2001)

Recently added bythejasp, Kappadeemom, youthfulzombie, olegalCA, private library, Jessabridge, FYreads, cupieshy

English (53)  Dutch (8)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (66)
A little on the gory side but a good mystery. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Grant County series. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
I ventured out of my comfort zone with this book. I was looking mostly to see how this genre compares with science fiction and to examine the differences in writing style. I didn't finish this book, mainly because the genre's focus on highly detailed corpse dissection is not really for me. I do understand that is no fault of this book. Whithin it's target audience I would imagine it is well received.
The characters are plausible. The story looks like it is going in the right direction. I stepped into a genre that isn't right for me, so for that reason only, I'll stop reading and return to my favoured areas of science fiction, fantasy and horror.
  peterjameswest | Nov 21, 2014 |
All of the awards Karin Slaughter won for this book are justly deserved. I could not put this book down. Well done Karin! ( )
  catsinstacks | Sep 23, 2014 |
This is a forensic thriller - with all of the blood and guts and gore that includes.
The main character is the pediatrician in a small town in the south, who moonlights as the county coroner. The local police chief just happens to be her ex-husband. The plot revolves around a series of rape/murders that occur in their sleepy little town. There is a little romance - some suspense as well as the blood/guts/gore. I had never heard of Ms. Slaughter before reading this book - it was on sale, so thought I would give it a try. It did hold my attention (enough so that dinner was late tonight while I had to finish it). I do plan on reading more of the series. If you are a fan of Kathy Reichs, you might want to give this a try. ( )
  peggy.short | Sep 2, 2014 |

Parpola, InkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaner, TejaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tunçman, Lale AykentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daddy,
who taught me to love the South,
and for Billie Bennett,
who encouraged me to write about it
Monday
Sara Linton leaned back in her chair, mumbling a soft "Yes, Mama" into the telephone.
NOTE: Please do not separate those copies of "Blindsided" with ISBN 0099421771, even if it appears the ISBN is associated with 2-in-1 editions of Blindsided & Kisscut.
ISBN 0099421771 is from a London publishing company. See Amazon.co.uk - their "look inside" edition is of this ISBN; and its copyright page shows the book is of 'Blindsided' only.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380820889, Mass Market Paperback)

In Blindsighted (book one of an anticipated three featuring Grant County, Georgia, pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton), first-time novelist Karin Slaughter comes out swinging in true medical examiner fashion. That is to say, covered with blood from the get-go.

Without warning, the body jerked violently, pitching forward and slamming Sara onto the floor. Blood spread out around both of them, and Sara instinctively clawed to get out from under the convulsing woman. With her feet and hands she groped for some kind of purchase on the slick bathroom floor. Finally, Sara managed to slide out from underneath her. She turned Sibyl over, cradling her head, trying to help her through the convulsions. Suddenly, the jerking stopped.

Sibyl is, or was, Sibyl Adams, a college professor who had the misfortune of being drugged, savagely raped, slashed, and left for dead in the toilet of the local diner, to be coincidentally discovered by Sara Linton. Coincidences don't stop there, and neither do the rapes and murders. The next is, unimaginably, still more gruesome than the first and it, too, is discovered by Dr. Linton. Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver is Sara's ex-husband, and mercurial detective Lena Adams, another major player in the ensuing drama, was Sibyl's twin sister.

And the monster behind these increasingly more depraved acts? Suspects abound, from the diner's jack-of-all-trades, Will Harris, to Victim No. 2's boyfriend, to Jack Allen Wright who, a dozen years prior, raped Dr. Linton (that rape had been a secret until now). There are other possibilities, naturally, and it soon becomes apparent that Sara's an intended target.

A graduate of the Patricia Cornwell school of mayhem and gore, Slaughter has faithfully stitched together a fast, engaging, and diverting read complete with a strong-yet-vulnerable heroine. Characters are nicely if somewhat obviously drawn, the plot is inventive, and the narrative's pacing quickens the pulse straight to the cliff-hanging denouement. And really, what more can you ask of an ME thriller? --Michael Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

Pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton, her ex-husband and chief of police Jeffrey Tolliver, and detective Lena Adams are on the case when a sadistic rapist and murderer begins targeting women in Grant County.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,461,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible