Blindsighted: A Novel by Karin Slaughter

Blindsighted: A Novel (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Karin Slaughter

Member:VictoriaPL
Title:Blindsighted: A Novel
Authors:Karin Slaughter
Info:William Morrow (2001), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:format - hardback, needs mylar, read 2013, 2013CC

Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter (2001)

English (65)  Dutch (8)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (78)
While a bit dated in technology and cultural issues, I liked this book a lot. It definitely has some graphic violence which is mostly discussed after the fact but in great detail. I wasn't certain about who the bad guy was until pretty late in the book, although I did wonder about the guy briefly early on but then I moved on to other possibilities.

You know, I can't say that I genuinely liked any of the characters but I didn't really dislike any of them. They felt like real folks, very flawed and just trying to get on with their lives.

I'll certainly keep going with the series. I want to know what happens with them next. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
Finished Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter, ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2. This is a very gritty (!) book, which is very readable. Actually a book that I worked out who the killer was well before it was revealed! However this didn't spoil the enjoyment of the book ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
A real page turner that keeps you guessing right up to the end. Many twists and turns. A brilliant plot and relentless suspense! Loved this book and looking forward to the second installment, Kisscut. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
Blindsighted
4 Stars

Warning: this book is not for the squeamish or faint of heart as the crimes are described in gruesome and horrific detail.

While the characters are very compelling it is difficult to say that they are likable. They are all seriously flawed from Sara, the local pediatrician/coroner, with a devastating secret to Jeffrey, the local police chief and Sara's unfaithful ex-husband, to Lena, the hard-ass female detective with a huge chip on her shoulder. Nevertheless, the plot is well-written and fast paced although the villain is a little too obvious- the fact that he uses Belladonna makes him the only viable suspect, and the ending is somewhat anti-climactic.

This is my second Karin Slaughter book and I enjoy her dark and gritty writing style. Moreover, the characters are sufficiently interesting to continue with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I mixed this book up with another one and the graphic details of the rape just about made me sick. I soldiered on because I liked the heroine but she turned out to be an idiot in personal life - now that I think about it, the whole force was stupid because they missed the obvious suspect under their nose - and I just don't want to read any further about these people, so that's the end of my foray into the Grant County series. ( )
  grammarchick | May 31, 2016 |

Schwaner, TejaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thoreau, PaulTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tunçman, Lale AykentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daddy,
who taught me to love the South,
and for Billie Bennett,
who encouraged me to write about it
Monday
Sara Linton leaned back in her chair, mumbling a soft "Yes, Mama" into the telephone.
NOTE #1: Please do not separate those copies of "Blindsided" with ISBN 0099421771, even if it appears the ISBN is associated with 2-in-1 editions of Blindsided & Kisscut. ISBN 0099421771 is from a London publishing company. See Amazon.co.uk - their "look inside" edition is of this ISBN; and its copyright page shows the book is of 'Blindsided' only.

NOTE #2: The known english-speaking narrators for the unabridged version of Blindsighted are: Kathleen Early, Gaby Milder, and Clarinda Ross.
If the narrator is Judith Ivey, this is for the ABRIDGED version and SHOULD NOT BE combined here.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380820889, Mass Market Paperback)

In Blindsighted (book one of an anticipated three featuring Grant County, Georgia, pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton), first-time novelist Karin Slaughter comes out swinging in true medical examiner fashion. That is to say, covered with blood from the get-go.

Without warning, the body jerked violently, pitching forward and slamming Sara onto the floor. Blood spread out around both of them, and Sara instinctively clawed to get out from under the convulsing woman. With her feet and hands she groped for some kind of purchase on the slick bathroom floor. Finally, Sara managed to slide out from underneath her. She turned Sibyl over, cradling her head, trying to help her through the convulsions. Suddenly, the jerking stopped.

Sibyl is, or was, Sibyl Adams, a college professor who had the misfortune of being drugged, savagely raped, slashed, and left for dead in the toilet of the local diner, to be coincidentally discovered by Sara Linton. Coincidences don't stop there, and neither do the rapes and murders. The next is, unimaginably, still more gruesome than the first and it, too, is discovered by Dr. Linton. Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver is Sara's ex-husband, and mercurial detective Lena Adams, another major player in the ensuing drama, was Sibyl's twin sister.

And the monster behind these increasingly more depraved acts? Suspects abound, from the diner's jack-of-all-trades, Will Harris, to Victim No. 2's boyfriend, to Jack Allen Wright who, a dozen years prior, raped Dr. Linton (that rape had been a secret until now). There are other possibilities, naturally, and it soon becomes apparent that Sara's an intended target.

A graduate of the Patricia Cornwell school of mayhem and gore, Slaughter has faithfully stitched together a fast, engaging, and diverting read complete with a strong-yet-vulnerable heroine. Characters are nicely if somewhat obviously drawn, the plot is inventive, and the narrative's pacing quickens the pulse straight to the cliff-hanging denouement. And really, what more can you ask of an ME thriller? --Michael Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

Pediatrician and coroner Dr. Sara Linton, her ex-husband and chief of police Jeffrey Tolliver, and detective Lena Adams are on the case when a sadistic rapist and murderer begins targeting women in Grant County.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,348,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible