Blind Faith by Ben Elton

Blind Faith (edition 2008)

by Ben Elton

Title:Blind Faith
Authors:Ben Elton
Info:Black Swan (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Humour, Sci-Fi, Dystopia, TBR

Blind Faith by Ben Elton

Recently added byprivate library, Lolanta, leftfork, oroxine, mayathebee, JPerrier, avanders, KimCosmos, sunster09
    The Circle by Dave Eggers (isabelx)
    isabelx: both are set in societies where privacy becoming a thing of the past

It is a world where privacy is a crime. Everyone is online all the time for everyone else to see and celebrate. Trafford wants to hold on to a little bit of privacy, but he is questioned why he hasn't yet shared the birthing video of his daughter. At his work, a woman is bullied for not conforming. Another coworker takes him aside and proposes something else illegal...

I liked it almost from the start, and through most of the book would have given it 3.5 stars (good). I ended up bumping up the rating to 4 due to a couple of surprises at the end. ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 27, 2014 |
This is a dystopian novel in which the state is run by the 'church' -- one that condones and sanctions acts of debauchery as mandated by the god of love. Every personal aspect of everyone's life is to be blogged about, video-tubed (yes, that's what it's called in the book), made public knowledge, etc. Privacy and modesty is deemed illegal, as is, independent thought. The state tells you what to think, how to behave and anything done in contrary, including keeping secrets, is heretical and subject to punishment. One man seeks to find a way out. A rather bland and sterile read, but it's probably contributed to by the starkness of the setting in which this story takes place. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
I think this book would have been a bit better had it been fleshed out a bit more. It is like a cross between 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 without the elegance of either book. The satire is so heavy that it appears that Elton has forgotten to add and meat to the characters. ( )
  martensgirl | Jul 1, 2014 |
An ugly utopia. Where privacy is illegal, daily blogging mandated and failure to upload regular videos of sexual encounters is considered strange.

Excellent book. The writing was wonderful and I found myself (courtesy of the e-reader) highlighting paragraph after paragraph because it was so well-written that I just wanted to re-read it. The ideas where interesting because they diverged from life as we know it in such a believable way. We already blog and tweet and do status updates, making it all very believable (I wonder what someone fifty or even twenty years ago would make of it).

The world grey, dirty, diseased, frail. This is what utopia might really be like. The real jobs all out-sourced. The people hiding in apartments until the government finds jobs for them and mandates that they leave, that they meet people. People everywhere, numbness. I love the idea that the people shuffle everywhere, like old men and women.

I highly recommend this book as a good read. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
It kept hitting me around the head, this book, because everything was so close to real and now, so plausible and icky. Is this what real satire is? Is this Elton's great Swiftian moment? ( )
  veracite | Apr 6, 2013 |
For my wife and children
Trafford said goodbye to his wife, kissed their tiny baby on the forehead and began to unlock the various bolts and deadlocks that secured their front door.

As Trafford Sewell struggles to work through the usual crowds of commuters, he is confronted by the intimidating figure of his priest, full of accusatory questions. Why has Trafford not been streaming his every moment of sexual intimacy onto the community website like everybody else? Does he think he's different or special in some way? Does he have something to hide? Imagine a world where everyone knows everything about everybody. Where what a person "feels" and "truly believes" is protected under the law, while what is rational, even provable, is condemned as heresy. A world where to question ignorance and intolerance is to commit a crime against Faith. Ben Elton’s dark, savagely comic novel imagines a postapocalyptic society where religious intolerance combines with a confessional sex-obsessed, self-centric culture to create a world where nakedness is modesty, ignorance is wisdom, and privacy is a dangerous perversion. A chilling vision of what’s to come, or something rather close to what we call reality?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:28 -0400)

Ben Elton's dark, savagely comic novel imagines a post-apocalyptic society where religious intolerance combines with a confessional sex obsessed, self-centric culture to create a world where nakedness is modesty, ignorance is wisdom and privacy is a dangerous perversion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,816,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible