Blind Faith by Ben Elton

Blind Faith (edition 2008)

by Ben Elton

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Blind Faith
Authors:Ben Elton
Info:Black Swan (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Humour, Sci-Fi, Dystopia, TBR

Blind Faith by Ben Elton

An ugly utopia. Where privacy is illegal, daily blogging mandated and failure to upload regular videos of sexual encounters is considered strange.

Excellent book. The writing was wonderful and I found myself (courtesy of the e-reader) highlighting paragraph after paragraph because it was so well-written that I just wanted to re-read it. The ideas where interesting because they diverged from life as we know it in such a believable way. We already blog and tweet and do status updates, making it all very believable (I wonder what someone fifty or even twenty years ago would make of it).

The world grey, dirty, diseased, frail. This is what utopia might really be like. The real jobs all out-sourced. The people hiding in apartments until the government finds jobs for them and mandates that they leave, that they meet people. People everywhere, numbness. I love the idea that the people shuffle everywhere, like old men and women.

I highly recommend this book as a good read. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
It kept hitting me around the head, this book, because everything was so close to real and now, so plausible and icky. Is this what real satire is? Is this Elton's great Swiftian moment? ( )
  veracite | Apr 6, 2013 |
Blind Faith is Ben Elton’s take on the post-apocalyptic future. He predicts everyone will share every intimate detail of their lives with those around them, not having a faith will be illegal and outrageous bureaucrat-spin will dumbly be accepted as fact in a way our present-day politicians probably dream of. The hero of the novel, a new dad named Trafford, has the heretical desire NOT to video blog his every waking moment and he finds some kindred spirits on his travels through the scary, emotion- filled future.

Although I have something of a Pavlovian, wallet-opening response to seeing Elton’s name on a book jacket I haven’t truly revelled in the reading of one of his books since Gridlock. But, perhaps because this particular glimpse into the future mirrors my own waking nightmares or perhaps because he’s returned to form, I enjoyed this one much more than I anticipated. For me Elton’s brilliance has always been in the way he juxtaposes the unbelievably of an extreme premise with satirically well-observed and utterly familiar situations and events. When done well, as in Blind Faith, this melding of the familiar (e.g. the endless cake-fuelled celebrations of nothing that take place in the modern office) with the ludicrous (it is impossible to have too much of the things we like such as sugar) creates something that feels credible as a whole.

The book is a little scary, in a Nineteen Eighty Four kind of way, but it’s a helluva lot funnier than Orwell and, for me anyway, ultimately positive. The notion that regardless of how much pressure there is to be part of the mob there will always be rebels like Trafford fills me with more than a little relief. And how could I as a book-a-holic not love a story in which books are the saviour of humanity?

bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
2/3rd of this book had a good satirical tone to it. Ben Elton has created an over the top dystopian world while intentionally making it dumb with low-brow humor, but a good satire nonetheless. The problem came when he became too ambitious and went on to create his own version of '1984'.

Remember that feeling when you are hoping against hope that a certain major character does not turn out as clichéd and as despairingly obvious as some other characters have been in the past, thus causing the book to be hated by its reader? Well, that happened here. So, 2 stars.

But Ben Elton's satirical style seems promising enough so I would definitely like to have a shot at his other works. ( )
  Veeralpadhiar | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was SO written by a man.

Blind faith had the potential to be an intersting satire on the modern technological world and the resulting complete lack of privacy. Unfortunately there was so much written about barely covered, artifically enlarged boobs, lack of privacy resulting in all sexual activity being available on the internet for everyone to see, and compulsory posting of birthing videos, that I was hard pressed to see the real story under all this male driven crap.
The point the book was making about how life might be after the flood caused by global warming was valid, but the book itself was so sordid that I only finished it because I was reading it for a book group. I shall be interested to see how this group of 12 ladies reacts - might even update my review!

Update: of 12 readers, only 4 enjoyed this book and in spite of plentiful subjects for discussion, the conversation was a bit stilted due to the overall chauvanistic feeling that the book had left us with.
One member asked - who were the most dislikable characters? And surprise, surprise, they were all women! ( )
  DubaiReader | Aug 11, 2012 |
For my wife and children
Trafford said goodbye to his wife, kissed their tiny baby on the forehead and began to unlock the various bolts and deadlocks that secured their front door.

As Trafford Sewell struggles to work through the usual crowds of commuters, he is confronted by the intimidating figure of his priest, full of accusatory questions. Why has Trafford not been streaming his every moment of sexual intimacy onto the community website like everybody else? Does he think he's different or special in some way? Does he have something to hide? Imagine a world where everyone knows everything about everybody. Where what a person "feels" and "truly believes" is protected under the law, while what is rational, even provable, is condemned as heresy. A world where to question ignorance and intolerance is to commit a crime against Faith. Ben Elton’s dark, savagely comic novel imagines a postapocalyptic society where religious intolerance combines with a confessional sex-obsessed, self-centric culture to create a world where nakedness is modesty, ignorance is wisdom, and privacy is a dangerous perversion. A chilling vision of what’s to come, or something rather close to what we call reality?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:29 -0400)

Ben Elton's dark, savagely comic novel imagines a post-apocalyptic society where religious intolerance combines with a confessional sex obsessed, self-centric culture to create a world where nakedness is modesty, ignorance is wisdom and privacy is a dangerous perversion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible