Blind Faith by Ben Elton

Blind Faith (edition 2008)

by Ben Elton

Info:Black Swan (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Humour, Sci-Fi, Dystopia, TBR

Blind Faith by Ben Elton

This is a dystopian novel in which the state is run by the 'church' -- one that condones and sanctions acts of debauchery as mandated by the god of love. Every personal aspect of everyone's life is to be blogged about, video-tubed (yes, that's what it's called in the book), made public knowledge, etc. Privacy and modesty is deemed illegal, as is, independent thought. The state tells you what to think, how to behave and anything done in contrary, including keeping secrets, is heretical and subject to punishment. One man seeks to find a way out. A rather bland and sterile read, but it's probably contributed to by the starkness of the setting in which this story takes place. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
I think this book would have been a bit better had it been fleshed out a bit more. It is like a cross between 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 without the elegance of either book. The satire is so heavy that it appears that Elton has forgotten to add and meat to the characters. ( )
  martensgirl | Jul 1, 2014 |
An ugly utopia. Where privacy is illegal, daily blogging mandated and failure to upload regular videos of sexual encounters is considered strange.

Excellent book. The writing was wonderful and I found myself (courtesy of the e-reader) highlighting paragraph after paragraph because it was so well-written that I just wanted to re-read it. The ideas where interesting because they diverged from life as we know it in such a believable way. We already blog and tweet and do status updates, making it all very believable (I wonder what someone fifty or even twenty years ago would make of it).

The world grey, dirty, diseased, frail. This is what utopia might really be like. The real jobs all out-sourced. The people hiding in apartments until the government finds jobs for them and mandates that they leave, that they meet people. People everywhere, numbness. I love the idea that the people shuffle everywhere, like old men and women.

I highly recommend this book as a good read. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
It kept hitting me around the head, this book, because everything was so close to real and now, so plausible and icky. Is this what real satire is? Is this Elton's great Swiftian moment? ( )
  veracite | Apr 6, 2013 |
Blind Faith is Ben Elton’s take on the post-apocalyptic future. He predicts everyone will share every intimate detail of their lives with those around them, not having a faith will be illegal and outrageous bureaucrat-spin will dumbly be accepted as fact in a way our present-day politicians probably dream of. The hero of the novel, a new dad named Trafford, has the heretical desire NOT to video blog his every waking moment and he finds some kindred spirits on his travels through the scary, emotion- filled future.

Although I have something of a Pavlovian, wallet-opening response to seeing Elton’s name on a book jacket I haven’t truly revelled in the reading of one of his books since Gridlock. But, perhaps because this particular glimpse into the future mirrors my own waking nightmares or perhaps because he’s returned to form, I enjoyed this one much more than I anticipated. For me Elton’s brilliance has always been in the way he juxtaposes the unbelievably of an extreme premise with satirically well-observed and utterly familiar situations and events. When done well, as in Blind Faith, this melding of the familiar (e.g. the endless cake-fuelled celebrations of nothing that take place in the modern office) with the ludicrous (it is impossible to have too much of the things we like such as sugar) creates something that feels credible as a whole.

The book is a little scary, in a Nineteen Eighty Four kind of way, but it’s a helluva lot funnier than Orwell and, for me anyway, ultimately positive. The notion that regardless of how much pressure there is to be part of the mob there will always be rebels like Trafford fills me with more than a little relief. And how could I as a book-a-holic not love a story in which books are the saviour of humanity?

bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
For my wife and children
Trafford said goodbye to his wife, kissed their tiny baby on the forehead and began to unlock the various bolts and deadlocks that secured their front door.

As Trafford Sewell struggles to work through the usual crowds of commuters, he is confronted by the intimidating figure of his priest, full of accusatory questions. Why has Trafford not been streaming his every moment of sexual intimacy onto the community website like everybody else? Does he think he's different or special in some way? Does he have something to hide? Imagine a world where everyone knows everything about everybody. Where what a person "feels" and "truly believes" is protected under the law, while what is rational, even provable, is condemned as heresy. A world where to question ignorance and intolerance is to commit a crime against Faith. Ben Elton’s dark, savagely comic novel imagines a postapocalyptic society where religious intolerance combines with a confessional sex-obsessed, self-centric culture to create a world where nakedness is modesty, ignorance is wisdom, and privacy is a dangerous perversion. A chilling vision of what’s to come, or something rather close to what we call reality?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:29 -0400)

Ben Elton's dark, savagely comic novel imagines a post-apocalyptic society where religious intolerance combines with a confessional sex obsessed, self-centric culture to create a world where nakedness is modesty, ignorance is wisdom and privacy is a dangerous perversion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,675,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible