Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide…

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella (2007)

by Paul Fleischman

The classic tale of Cinderella has been told through various versions around the globe, each version has its own unique cultural variation. Paul Fleischman brings the different versions into one book that allows the reader to gather an appreciation for different cultures. I love the illustrations and culture presence for each country version's of Cinderella. A great book for children to learn about different cultures. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Mar 2, 2015 |
Once there was a merchant and his wife died. A widow down the road with two daughthers treated the daughter of the merchant very well, and gave the daughter pan dulce. The merchant’s daughter told her father that she should marry the widow, but the father had his doubts. Eventually the father married the widow. When the stepmother moved in, she began to treat the merchant’s daughter bad. The daughter slept on the floor, and the stepmother barely gave her enough food. The girl began to tend the cattle, and the animals saw her pain. A fairy gave her apricots and a godfather snake gave her rice. One day the king announced that he was looking for someone to marry, and all the unmarried women wore their finest robes. The stepmother did not want the girl to go, so she gave her stepdaughter many chores. The girl was sad, and a witch came in her house. The witch did all of the chores with her powers, and gave the girl a red cloak to go to the party. The girl went to the party with golden shows, and went on a wagon. Everyone at the party thought that the girl was beautiful, and she stayed until the first roster crowed. The girl leaped onto a horse leaving her golden slipper behind, and the king was set to find that girl. The stepmother hid the girl, and when the king arrived the stepdaughters tried the golden slipper on but could not fit them. Once the roster crowed, the king found the girl, and slipped the golden slipper onto her foot. The girl and the king got married, and there was a great party. The book displays many cultures while the story is being read. Mexico, Iraq, Ireland, India, China, and Japan are mentioned. There are many other countries that are mentioned, and when each country is mentioned, there is an illustration of the country’s clothing or food. The illustrations are very colorful, and if the countries were not mentioned one could tell what country it is by its illustrations. ( )
  memaldonado | Mar 1, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading the book “Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal” by Paul Fleishchman . Once aspect I liked of this book was the writing. Everyone knows the story of Cinderella, but this story was a little different than the American version. In this story, Cinderella is weeding the rice fields, cooking and carrying. This story is written as taking place in Japan. The writing in this story is descriptive and allows the reader to understand how Cinderella is feeling. “Her stomach growled. Then the girl recalled how she’d begged her father to marry.” The reader can understand how hungry Cinderella is. A person knows what it means to have a stomach growl from being hungry. Another aspect I liked in this story was the illustrations. Each page was brightly colored. The illustrations did not always take up the whole page but instead of leaving the background white the illustrator filled the background with bright colors such as purple, pink, neon green, and yellow. Each page in the story was intriguing to look at. The big idea of this story is to keep your head up. Cinderella did not have a great life, but once she found the prince her whole life changed and became better. ( )
  amulve2 | Dec 4, 2014 |
I loved this book for several reasons. First and foremost, it puts an interesting spin on a classic fairy tale. It is interesting to see how the telling of fairy tales differs from country to country. Also, it allows kids to see the perspective of people in other countries, while at the same time perpetuating the fact that deep down, we all have similar characteristics that allow us to enjoy the same types of stories. In the story, each page represented an excerpt from "Cinderella" from a certain country. One page reads "And on the girl's feet appeared a pair of glass slippers (France,) diamond anklets (India,) "sandals of gold (Iraq.) This is a discrete way to illustrate the differences in cultural norms (clothing for example,) while still telling a familiar, well loved story. I think the big idea in this book was to illustrate that although we all differ, whether it be through our culture, gender, or interests, but that at the end of the day we are all human. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Sep 24, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the book "Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal" by Author Paul Fleischman and Illustrator Julie Paschkis. The gouache illustration emphasize the idea of past traditions and multiculturalism. I especially liked the fact as the story is told the framing tells us where each part of the story is from, for example instead of a dress for the ball the young Cinderella receives a red kimono for the ball in the Japanese version and the Prince searches across deserts to find her after the ball in the Iranian version. I liked the fact that the cleverly told through the method of jumping from each version stitching traditions together tor retell the Disney-esque westernized version that i read as a child. I especially enjoyed the fact that in this version the young girl convinces her widower father to marry her widow stepmother. When she later discovers that her stepmother isn't the good person she thought she was she feels responsible for her own situation stating "I picked up the scorpion with my own hand". The theme of the story is a young girl overcoming an oppressive step-parent and the ways in which values are universal across all cultures. ( )
  awhite43 | Mar 20, 2014 |
For Flannery
To Reka Simonsen, who gives me such interesting shoes to try on
Once upon a time there lived a wealthy merchant whose wife had died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080507953X, Hardcover)

Once upon a time, in Mexico . . . in Ireland . . . in Zimbabwe . . . there lived a girl who worked all day in the rice fields . . . then spent the night by the hearth, sleeping among the cinders.

Her name is Ashpet, Sootface, Cendrillon . . . Cinderella. Her story has been passed down the centuries and across continents. Now Paul Fleischman and Julie Paschkis craft its many versions into one hymn to the rich variety and the enduring constants of our cultures.

A Junior Library Guild Selection

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:01 -0400)

The author draws from a variety of folk traditions to put together this version of Cinderella, including elements from Mexico, Iran, Korea, Russia, Appalachia, and more.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,299,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible