Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide…

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella (2007)

by Paul Fleischman

I think this book would be great for students in 4th or 5th grade. While most of the students will already know the story of Cinderella, this version will provide a different culture background for the story. Kids in the 4th or 5th grade would be able to have a better understanding of this version compared to students in the lower grade levels. ( )
  vross316 | Mar 30, 2016 |
I love the intention, the idea behind Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: to blend the thousands of Cinderella tales into one multicultural version. Sadly, however, it fails in its delivery. The story is disjointed, and if I were a little kid reading or hearing Cinderella for the first time, I would be downright confused by Fleischman's telling. I'm an adult familiar with Cinderella and I had to re-read pages.

For example, on the page where Cinderella receives gifts to wear to the ball, the glass slippers appear on her feet, then anklets, then gold sandals. Um, how is Cinderella wearing two pairs of shoes at the same time? I understand the author wanted to show that in France's version it was the slippers and in Iraq it was sandals, but c'mon; kids are smart, they'll ask why too.

Thankfully the art fills up every page and features many lovely elements of each country's culture and folklore. I loved the diversity and bright colors. Also, Cinderella has black hair throughout the book, which was a fun change.

Recommended to an audience familiar with at least one version of a Cinderella tale. Only then is it possible to grasp this book's attempt to blend many cultures into one story.

3 stars
(two for the art; one for the book's idea) ( )
  flying_monkeys | Mar 24, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book and taking in the visuals. One thing that stood out the most was the illustrations in the background that all enhanced the story. The story incorporated many different cultures while retelling the story of Cinderella. The background of each country/area the story was mentioning was always labeled and contained intricate designs, relating to the country. For example, when Mexico was mentioned in the story, the background consisted of illustrations containing the indigenous people of Mexico. Also, the illustrations themselves were culturally awakening. For example, when Korea was mentioned, they had ‘Cinderella’ dressed in a Kimono, which leads to the next reason. This book is very eye opening for readers because it brings cultural awareness. Some students have no form of receiving information on other cultures inside and outside of school, so this book is a great tool to incorporate many cultures in one. For example, when the book mentioned Cinderella’s ‘glass slipper’, in the Iraq section the slippers were sandals of gold and in the Korea section, they were straw sandals. Finally, the plot was well written and different than the original Cinderella story we are all used to. Typically, we hear that Cinderella is kept hidden when the Prince goes around looking for the shoe’s rightful owner. In this story, the stepmother wrapped Cinderella in a mat to hide her from the Prince in the Laos section, which also brings back the idea of cultural awareness. I think the main message of this story is that being a good person will pay off in the end. It is easier to be kind to people, especially those that need kindness and love the most. ( )
  pparka1 | Feb 22, 2016 |
Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal was a very confusing book at first. I thought first that it was a book with many Cinderella stories that are individual, but that wasn't that case they were mixed so then I thought you had to find all the ones that said the same countries to read that countries individual story and they were mixed so you could see the differences per page. That wasn't it either, it took sections of each story and you had to read them together for it to make sense. After you figure this out the book is really interesting and fun to go through. It has sections from all over the road and sometimes it will tell what type of slipper from each country was used or what food was ate at the banquet from each country. This book was good because the text changed based on the country and so did the illustrations. Many pages were cut into three or more sections and each section was illustrated based on the culture that it was representing.This book was good for showing how the different cultures affect the story and what the similarities are in each one.
Genre: Fairy Tale
1: Looking at cultures
2: Teaching the different types of one story.
Media: acrylics ( )
  Jazmyn96 | Feb 18, 2016 |
This book tells the story of Cinderella in a way I've never seen before. It is literally, as the title says, a worldwide Cinderella. The author and illustrator gave each page or portion of the story different culture. The story floats around from country to country. First, we start off in Mexico, then we are transported to Korea and Iraq. The author took elements,such as food and dress, from each of the countries to connect all the cultures in this classic tale. ( )
  TiffanyA | Feb 18, 2016 |
For Flannery
To Reka Simonsen, who gives me such interesting shoes to try on
Once upon a time there lived a wealthy merchant whose wife had died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080507953X, Hardcover)

Once upon a time, in Mexico . . . in Ireland . . . in Zimbabwe . . . there lived a girl who worked all day in the rice fields . . . then spent the night by the hearth, sleeping among the cinders.

Her name is Ashpet, Sootface, Cendrillon . . . Cinderella. Her story has been passed down the centuries and across continents. Now Paul Fleischman and Julie Paschkis craft its many versions into one hymn to the rich variety and the enduring constants of our cultures.

A Junior Library Guild Selection

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:29 -0400)

The author draws from a variety of folk traditions to put together this version of Cinderella, including elements from Mexico, Iran, Korea, Russia, Appalachia, and more.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible