Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide…

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Paul Fleischman, Julie Paschkis (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella
Authors:Paul Fleischman
Other authors:Julie Paschkis (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, folklore, gr. k-3, fantasy, fairy tale, cinderella, multicultural

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (2007)

A traditional cinderella story told from other world cultures. This book puts you into the perspective of other cultures and tells the story of cinderella. Teaches children about other cultures while explaining a story that many of them have heard over the years growing up. Expanding a child's mind with knowledge of other cultures is important because it helps them to see what it is like outside of their own environment. ( )
  amartino1208 | May 1, 2015 |
This book incorporates different cultures and countries surrounding the story of Cinderella. It still has the same main Cinderella story but uses elements and themes of different cultures throughout it. This book will definitely expose children to different cultures around the world without changing the story of Cinderella. The illustrations in this book were vivid and appealing to me. ( )
  sottallah | Apr 17, 2015 |
Some people will probably despise this because it would seem so jumbled. I however liked the ways so many different versions of the tale were woven together. Personally, I'm not particularly fond of Cinderella, compared to certain other folk-tales, but this is one of the most universal stories - reminding us that despite cultural differences, people are people all over (as the saying goes). ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
3. The traditional literature picture book, “Glass Slipper Gold Sandal,” portrays the message that good overcomes evil and marriage will liv happily ever after if the wedding is big and beautiful. The story is unlike the traditional Cinderella story which includes different cultures and versions from other countries. I enjoyed the idea of the picture book because it draws attention to various cultures for the audience. But, I did not like this book for a few reasons. First, the book’s plot was disorganized and sudden. I felt this way because each page jumped from one perspective to the next without a smooth transition; therefore, I had to pause and reevaluate the text in depth to understand the plot. Second, the writing was neither engaging nor intriguing. For example, the writing wasn't paced well which lost my interest. Third, the illustrations were divergent on each page which didn't enhance the story. But, the style of the illustrations fit the written text. For instance, the book was told from different perspectives in various countries so the illustrations fit the style of each country. I did enjoy the intention of displaying diverse cultures. ( )
  kacieforest | Apr 6, 2015 |
The traditional tale of Cinderella is told, incorporating many details of different versions from around the world.
  mlbailey77 | Apr 6, 2015 |
For Flannery
To Reka Simonsen, who gives me such interesting shoes to try on
Once upon a time there lived a wealthy merchant whose wife had died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080507953X, Hardcover)

Once upon a time, in Mexico . . . in Ireland . . . in Zimbabwe . . . there lived a girl who worked all day in the rice fields . . . then spent the night by the hearth, sleeping among the cinders.

Her name is Ashpet, Sootface, Cendrillon . . . Cinderella. Her story has been passed down the centuries and across continents. Now Paul Fleischman and Julie Paschkis craft its many versions into one hymn to the rich variety and the enduring constants of our cultures.

A Junior Library Guild Selection

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:29 -0400)

The author draws from a variety of folk traditions to put together this version of Cinderella, including elements from Mexico, Iran, Korea, Russia, Appalachia, and more.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible