Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide…

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Paul Fleischman, Julie Paschkis (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella
Authors:Paul Fleischman
Other authors:Julie Paschkis (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, folklore, gr. k-3, fantasy, fairy tale, cinderella, multicultural

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (2007)

Some people will probably despise this because it would seem so jumbled. I however liked the ways so many different versions of the tale were woven together. Personally, I'm not particularly fond of Cinderella, compared to certain other folk-tales, but this is one of the most universal stories - reminding us that despite cultural differences, people are people all over (as the saying goes). ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
3. The traditional literature picture book, “Glass Slipper Gold Sandal,” portrays the message that good overcomes evil and marriage will liv happily ever after if the wedding is big and beautiful. The story is unlike the traditional Cinderella story which includes different cultures and versions from other countries. I enjoyed the idea of the picture book because it draws attention to various cultures for the audience. But, I did not like this book for a few reasons. First, the book’s plot was disorganized and sudden. I felt this way because each page jumped from one perspective to the next without a smooth transition; therefore, I had to pause and reevaluate the text in depth to understand the plot. Second, the writing was neither engaging nor intriguing. For example, the writing wasn't paced well which lost my interest. Third, the illustrations were divergent on each page which didn't enhance the story. But, the style of the illustrations fit the written text. For instance, the book was told from different perspectives in various countries so the illustrations fit the style of each country. I did enjoy the intention of displaying diverse cultures. ( )
  kacieforest | Apr 6, 2015 |
The traditional tale of Cinderella is told, incorporating many details of different versions from around the world.
  mlbailey77 | Apr 6, 2015 |
Paul Fleischman takes the traditional Cinderella tale, but takes a nontraditional approach by telling it how it is told in a variety of different cultures and countries. This is great because it makes readers and listeners culturally aware and teaches them that there is more than one way to tell a story. The illustrations added to the power of this story and the different cultures involved. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 6, 2015 |
The classic tale of Cinderella has been told through various versions around the globe, each version has its own unique cultural variation. Paul Fleischman brings the different versions into one book that allows the reader to gather an appreciation for different cultures. I love the illustrations and culture presence for each country version's of Cinderella. A great book for children to learn about different cultures. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Mar 2, 2015 |
For Flannery
To Reka Simonsen, who gives me such interesting shoes to try on
Once upon a time there lived a wealthy merchant whose wife had died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080507953X, Hardcover)

Once upon a time, in Mexico . . . in Ireland . . . in Zimbabwe . . . there lived a girl who worked all day in the rice fields . . . then spent the night by the hearth, sleeping among the cinders.

Her name is Ashpet, Sootface, Cendrillon . . . Cinderella. Her story has been passed down the centuries and across continents. Now Paul Fleischman and Julie Paschkis craft its many versions into one hymn to the rich variety and the enduring constants of our cultures.

A Junior Library Guild Selection

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:01 -0400)

The author draws from a variety of folk traditions to put together this version of Cinderella, including elements from Mexico, Iran, Korea, Russia, Appalachia, and more.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,730,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible