Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide…

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Paul Fleischman, Julie Paschkis (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella
Authors:Paul Fleischman
Other authors:Julie Paschkis (Illustrator)
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, folklore, gr. k-3, fantasy, fairy tale, cinderella, multicultural

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (2007)

I loved this book for several reasons. First and foremost, it puts an interesting spin on a classic fairy tale. It is interesting to see how the telling of fairy tales differs from country to country. Also, it allows kids to see the perspective of people in other countries, while at the same time perpetuating the fact that deep down, we all have similar characteristics that allow us to enjoy the same types of stories. In the story, each page represented an excerpt from "Cinderella" from a certain country. One page reads "And on the girl's feet appeared a pair of glass slippers (France,) diamond anklets (India,) "sandals of gold (Iraq.) This is a discrete way to illustrate the differences in cultural norms (clothing for example,) while still telling a familiar, well loved story. I think the big idea in this book was to illustrate that although we all differ, whether it be through our culture, gender, or interests, but that at the end of the day we are all human. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Sep 24, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the book "Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal" by Author Paul Fleischman and Illustrator Julie Paschkis. The gouache illustration emphasize the idea of past traditions and multiculturalism. I especially liked the fact as the story is told the framing tells us where each part of the story is from, for example instead of a dress for the ball the young Cinderella receives a red kimono for the ball in the Japanese version and the Prince searches across deserts to find her after the ball in the Iranian version. I liked the fact that the cleverly told through the method of jumping from each version stitching traditions together tor retell the Disney-esque westernized version that i read as a child. I especially enjoyed the fact that in this version the young girl convinces her widower father to marry her widow stepmother. When she later discovers that her stepmother isn't the good person she thought she was she feels responsible for her own situation stating "I picked up the scorpion with my own hand". The theme of the story is a young girl overcoming an oppressive step-parent and the ways in which values are universal across all cultures. ( )
  awhite43 | Mar 20, 2014 |
combines many countries' versions of Cinderella into one fluid text
  bp0128bd | Jan 24, 2014 |
I love how the story of Cinderella is from all over the world. I love how this book incorporates snippets of culture from every part of the world. ( )
  aalkurd | Oct 22, 2013 |
This was a very cool way to see the story of Cinderella through the eyes of people around the world. There are many different versions of Cinderella and each different culture add their own touches on the details such as the slipper and ball attire. From Mexico to Russia to Zimbabwe, this rendition of Cinderella is an international delight. ( )
  AdrienneWood | Oct 3, 2013 |
For Flannery
To Reka Simonsen, who gives me such interesting shoes to try on
Once upon a time there lived a wealthy merchant whose wife had died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080507953X, Hardcover)

Once upon a time, in Mexico . . . in Ireland . . . in Zimbabwe . . . there lived a girl who worked all day in the rice fields . . . then spent the night by the hearth, sleeping among the cinders.

Her name is Ashpet, Sootface, Cendrillon . . . Cinderella. Her story has been passed down the centuries and across continents. Now Paul Fleischman and Julie Paschkis craft its many versions into one hymn to the rich variety and the enduring constants of our cultures.

A Junior Library Guild Selection

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:01 -0400)

The author draws from a variety of folk traditions to put together this version of Cinderella, including elements from Mexico, Iran, Korea, Russia, Appalachia, and more.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible