Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide…

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Paul Fleischman, Julie Paschkis (Illustrator)

Title:Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella
Authors:Paul Fleischman
Other authors:Julie Paschkis (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:fiction, folklore, gr. k-3, fantasy, fairy tale, cinderella, multicultural

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (2007)

Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal is an amazing book that mixes up multiculturalism with a classic fairy tale. This book retells the story of Cinderella, however the author alternates between different cultures and writes each new sentence according to which culture he switches to. He seamlessly took various parts of the story between different cultures to create one cohesive story. Along the way, there were parts that he emphasized notable differences using (...) (Ex: When the shoe was revealed, the author wrote and drew three variations: glass slippers, diamond anklets, and sandals of gold. That way children can choose what drawing they want to interpret as their idea of Cinderella. It was eye opening to me how each of the cultures presented in this book had such similarities to one another yet had a completely different image of Cinderella at the same time. A good follow up activity for this book is to let children pick which culture's version of Cinderella they found most interesting and have them research the rest of the story online. Children can also write their own take on Cinderella or at least a snippet of the story to alter. ( )
  wxv002 | Sep 14, 2016 |
It's the story of Cinderella as we know it.....and yet how we do not know it. This story is common in all cultures and Fleischman's rendition weaves all of them into one story. It's really quite unique.
  Gabrielle_Stoller | Sep 7, 2016 |
A retelling of the classic Cinderella story that has been told over the centuries and across countries. Students will enjoy reading this story with the retelling being told from multiple countries.
  BuoyR | Jul 26, 2016 |
Some people will probably despise this because it would seem so jumbled. I however liked the ways so many different versions of the tale were woven together. Personally, I'm not particularly fond of Cinderella, compared to certain other folk-tales, but this is one of the most universal stories - reminding us that despite cultural differences, people are people all over (as the saying goes). ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal is a new twist on a timeless classic. This story of Cinderella is set all over the world and depicts many cultures and styles. I absolutely love Cinderella and I really love exploring the world so this book is one of my favorites. ( )
  Smorri23 | May 9, 2016 |
For Flannery
To Reka Simonsen, who gives me such interesting shoes to try on
Once upon a time there lived a wealthy merchant whose wife had died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080507953X, Hardcover)

Once upon a time, in Mexico . . . in Ireland . . . in Zimbabwe . . . there lived a girl who worked all day in the rice fields . . . then spent the night by the hearth, sleeping among the cinders.

Her name is Ashpet, Sootface, Cendrillon . . . Cinderella. Her story has been passed down the centuries and across continents. Now Paul Fleischman and Julie Paschkis craft its many versions into one hymn to the rich variety and the enduring constants of our cultures.

A Junior Library Guild Selection
Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:29 -0400)

The author draws from a variety of folk traditions to put together this version of Cinderella, including elements from Mexico, Iran, Korea, Russia, Appalachia, and more.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,719,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible