The Ethics of Authenticity by Charles Taylor

The Ethics of Authenticity (edition 1992)

by Charles Taylor

Collections:Contemporary Ethics
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Ethics

The Ethics of Authenticity by Charles Taylor

In his perennially popular Massey lectures, now with an updated look, Charles Taylor focuses on the key modern concept of self-fulfilment, often attacked as the central support of what Christopher Lasch has called "the culture of narcissism." To Taylor, self-fulfilment, although often expressed in self-centred ways, isn't necessarily a rejection of traditional values and social commitment; it also reflects something authentic and valuable in modern culture. Only by distinguishing what is good in this modern striving from what is socially and politically dangerous, Taylor says, can our age be made to deliver its promise.

http://www.anansi.ca/titles.cfm?pub_id=48 ( )
1 vote gregsmith | Jul 12, 2006 |
Man finner ikke frem til hva som er verdifullt ved å rote på soveværelset, derimot finner man det ved å analysere de historisk frembragte, kollektive forestillinger det moderne selvet har om seg selv. Charles Taylor er professor ved McGill University, Canada og leverer med Autentisitetens etikk (The Malaise of Modernity) et viktig bidrag til debatten om det moderne samfunnets grunnlag og fremtidsutsikter. Oversatt av Petter Nafstad

To Bisia
I want to write here about some of the malaises of modernity.

Everywhere we hear talk of decline, of a world that was better once, maybe fifty years ago, maybe centuries ago, but certainly before modernity drew us along its dubious path. While some lament the slide of Western culture into relativism and nihilism and others celebrate the trend as a liberating sort of progress, Charles Taylor calls on us to face the moral and political crises of our time, and to make the most of modernity's challenges.

At the heart of the modern malaise, according to most accounts, is the notion of authenticity, of self-fulfillment, which seems to render ineffective the whole tradition of common values and social commitment. Though Taylor recognizes the dangers associated with modernity's drive toward self realization, he is not as quick as others to dismiss it. He calls for a freeze on cultural pessimism.

In a discussion of ideas and ideologies from Friedrich Nietzsche to Gail Sheehy, from Allan Bloom to Michel Foucault, Taylor sorts out the good from the harmful in the modern cultivation of an authentic self. He sets forth the entire network of thought and morals that link our quest for self-creation with our impulse toward self-fashioning, and shows how such efforts must be conducted against an existing set of rules, or a gridwork of moral measurement. Seen against this network, our modern preoccupations with expression, rights, and the subjectivity of human thought reveal themselves as assets, not liabilities.

By looking past simplistic, one-sided judgments of modern culture, by distinguishing the good and valuable from the socially and politically perilous, Taylor articulates the promise of our age. His bracing and provocative book gives voice to the challenge of modernity, and calls on all of us to answer it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:44 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,247,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible