Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith

Gorky Park (original 1981; edition 1982)

by Martin Cruz Smith

2,306None2,739 (3.91)2 / 132
Member:TheFlamingoReads
Title:Gorky Park
Authors:Martin Cruz Smith
Info:Ballantine Books (1982), Edition: 1st Printing, Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery, Fiction, Russia

Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith (1981)

Recently added bywoodney, BookMonk, micanopyan, private library, DGGriffin, Mike_Farnan, Jfurnee, auldtwa1
20th century (24) American (21) American fiction (10) American literature (15) Arkady Renko (61) Cold War (25) crime (94) crime fiction (33) detective (30) espionage (28) fiction (367) KGB (22) made into movie (9) Moscow (66) murder (28) mystery (240) novel (53) police (16) police procedural (18) read (33) Renko (17) Russia (165) Russian (15) series (18) Soviet Union (68) spy (12) suspense (31) thriller (126) to-read (20) unread (19)
    Mr. White's Confession: A Novel by Robert Clark (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: A thinking person's police procedural with depth and ambiguity.
    City of Thieves by David Benioff (Ciruelo)

English (35)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (38)
Very highly recommended ( )
  Hanneri | Mar 12, 2014 |
Detective novels, police procedurals, whatever you call them, are not my cup of tea. However, I really, really liked this one. Well written and unique. ( )
  m2snick | Feb 19, 2014 |
  m2snick | Feb 19, 2014 |
I just reread this and was struck by the authors' grasp of the difficulty of living day by day in the former Soviet Union and his protagonists ( Arkady Renko) ability to struggle on, while not losing his humor or sense of irony. ( )
  rudeboy99 | Sep 24, 2013 |
I came to this with little expectation, although I had heard good things, I tried to keep an open mind. Easy to access in many ways, I think it appears not only dated but jaded as well in the modern era. The setting was well described as was the feeling of Soviet Communist society, I just didn't get the rush along with the story that a good thriller needs. At times plodding, and very conservative, at others showing signs of only engaging the reader in a limited way. This didn't work for me & I am unlikely to be reading any more of Arkady Renko's adventures ( )
2 vote aadyer | Feb 9, 2013 |
For Em
All nights should be so dark, all winters so warm, all headlights so dazzling.

A triple murder in Moscow amusement center: three corpses found frozen in the snow, faces and fingers missing.

Chief homicide investigator Arkday Renko is brilliant, sensitive, honest and cynical about everything except his profession.

To identify the victims and uncover the truth he must battle the KGB, FBI, an New York Police as he pursues a rich, ruthless, and well-connected American fur dealer.

Meanwhile, Arkady is falling in love with a beautiful, headstrong dissident for whom he may risk everything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345298349, Mass Market Paperback)

"Brilliant...One of the best books of the season."
ASSOCIATED PRESS
A triple murder in a Moscow amusement center: three corpses found frozen in the snow, faces and fingers missing. Chief homicide investigator Arkady Renko is brilliant, sensitive, honest, and cynical about everything except his profession. To identify the victims and uncover the truth, he must battle the KGB, FBI, and New York police as he performs the impossible--and tries to stay alive doing it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:09 -0400)

A triple murder in a Moscow amusement center: three corpses found frozen in the snow, faces and fingers missing. Chief homicide investigator Arkady Renko is brilliant, sensitive, honest, and cynical about everything except his profession. To identify the victims and uncover the truth, he must battle the KGB, FBI, and the New York City police as he pursues a rich, ruthless, and well-connected American fur dealer. Meanwhile, Renko is falling in love with a beautiful, headstrong dissident for whom he may risk everything. -- Book Description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,431,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible