Thérèse Desqueyroux by François Mauriac

Thérèse Desqueyroux (1927)

by François Mauriac

English (4)  French (3)  Danish (1)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (10)
Meh. ( )
  KatrinkaV | Apr 19, 2017 |
In this brief novel boiling with tension, we see the inner conflicts of the type in Madam Bovary or Anna Karenina, but a lot more compressed and intense. Usually, I don’t like dark novels of this type, but what kept me hooked is the powerful story-telling of Mauriac, an absolute masterpiece. A deeply flawed character, Therese, keeps us engaged, because Mauriac has skillfully transferred her point of view upon us, so we are with her even if we know she is doing something unethical. ( )
  CorinneT | Aug 20, 2015 |
Very nice and emotional. It left me a bit dissatisfied, because I think it would've included more twists. But I loved it :) ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
Just as soon as I want to feel sorry for Thérèse's husband Bernard, he utters a misogynistic or anti-Semitic remark. Thérèse herself is an immature brat who attempts to kill her husband. There's not one sympathetic figure in the novel yet by the last chapter there is hope after Bernard and Thérèse call an armistice and go their opposite ways. Like the rest of Mauriac's works this book can only be fully appreciated in light of Redemption.
This version includes an introduction by Raymond Mackenzie. ( )
1 vote liamfoley | Jul 30, 2012 |

François Mauriacprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hopkins, GerardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MacKenzie, Raymond N.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Touzot, JeanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Seigneur, ayez pitié, ayez pitié des fous et des folles! O Créateur! peut-il exister des monstres aux yeux de celui-là seul qui sait pourquoi ils existent, comment ils se sont faits, et comment ils auraient pu ne pas se faire..." (Charles Baudelaire)
*Thérèse, beaucoup diront que tu n'existe pas.
*from the foreword
(THERESE) The barrister opened a door.
(THE END OF THE NIGHT) "Are you going out this evening, Anna?"

Therese Desqueyroux is probably the most famous of Mauriac''s novels, and the curiosity which this terrible and unforgettable creature aroused led the author to write the story of her last days in La Fin de la Nuit, 8 years later. The 2 short stories are interludes of her life in Paris between the years covered by the 2 novels; thus the complete story of Therese Desqueyroux is presented to the English reader for the first time.

Including 'Therese Desqueyroux', 'La Fin de la Nuit' and 2 short stories about Therese from 'Plongees'.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,603,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible