The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and…

The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious… (2007)

by Alice Waters

Other authors: Patricia Curtan, Kelsie Kerr (Author), Fritz Streiff (Author)

A little too precious but there's no doubt about it - she's influential. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Welcome addition: This is a wonderful addition to a cook's library and to a fan of Alice Waters. It can often be used as a reference book for cooking with fresh produce and ingredients. Many great ideas.
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |
she talks about the structure of a recipe then gives a simple example with variation suggestions. she's amazing and so is this book!! ( )
  kriemer | May 8, 2013 |
I'm guessing that most people picking up an Alice Waters book don't need a "how to stock the pantry" primer. Could have been so much more. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
I trust Alice Waters more than Mark Bittman for simple, reliable recipes suitable for everyday cooking. Pretty much every recipe from here that I have tried is easy and delicious. This is an indispensable book for everyday cooking.

Rave recipe: Lemon Curd Tart, an easy dessert that is always a hit. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 26, 2012 |

Alice Watersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Curtan, Patriciasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kerr, KelsieAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Streiff, FritzAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For
Ella, Xavier, Fanny, Rose, and Zac
with love
My delicious revolution began when, young and naive, I started a restaurant and went looking for good-tasting food to cook.
Eat locally and sustainably.
Eat seasonally.
Shop at farmers' markets.
Plant a garden.
Conserve, compost, and recycle.
Cook simply, engaging all your senses.
Cook together.
Eat together.
Remember food is precious.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307336794, Hardcover)

Do we really need more recipes for beef stew, polenta, and ratatouille? If they're the work of famed restaurateur and "food activist" Alice Waters, undoubtedly. In The Art of Simple Food, Waters offers 200-plus recipes for these and other simple but savory dishes, like Spicy Cauliflower Soup, Fava Bean Purée, and Braised Chicken Legs, as well as dessert formulas for the likes of Nectarine and Blueberry Crisp and Tangerine Ice. In addition, readers learn (or become reacquainted with) the Waters mantra: eat locally and sustainably; eat seasonally; shop at farmers markets. These are the rules by which she approaches food and cooking, and hopes we will too. Organized largely by techniques, the book is a kind of primer, designed to free readers from recipe reliance.

Some readers may look askance at advice that they search out sources for locally produced food, for example, given the everyday exigencies of shopping and getting meals on the table. Yet it is precisely the need to "remake" our relationship to food that, Waters contends, determines the ultimate success of all our cooking and dining, not to mention our health and that of the planet. This relatively small book has a large message, and good everyday recipes to back it up. --Arthur Boehm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:56 -0400)

Here you will find Alice's philosophy on everything from stocking your kitchen, to mastering fundamentals and preparing delicious, seasonal inspired meals all year long. Always true to her philosophy that a perfect meal is one that's balanced in texture, color, and flavor, Waters helps us embrace the seasons' bounty and make the best choices when selecting ingredients.--From publisher's description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,326,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible