The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2006)

by John Boyne

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (PghDragonMan)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (JqnOC)
    Edelweiss Pirates, Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Baker's Daughter: A Novel by Sarah McCoy (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Written from a point of view of a baker's daughter in Germany. If you liked The boy in the striped pyjama, you will love The Baker's Daughter.
    I am David by Anne Holm (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book about the same topic.
    I'm Not Scared by Niccolò Ammaniti (alalba)
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book set in the same era.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (keeneam)
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Three Knocks on the Wall by Evelyn Sibley Lampman (bookel)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An intense look at one day in the life of a political prisoner in a concentration camp like environment.
    Patterns of Childhood by Christa Wolf (Cecrow)
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (keeneam)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place in WWII, but in different perspectives.
    Once by Morris Gleitzman (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Both have a young male protagonist who doesn't initially realise the significance of what's going on around him.
    The Man from the Other Side by Uri Orlev (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Older and younger versions

English (615)  Spanish (27)  Dutch (22)  German (13)  All (8)  Catalan (7)  Finnish (6)  Portuguese (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (707)
This was one of those Wow books that you read now and again. I was lucky enough to read it as a proof and then had the pleasure of taking John on some school visits when the book came out. When I started to analyse the story I felt that there were some elements that did not convince me; such as how the two boys managed to meet in secret, in such an environment. However I think that as with all good stories, if you suspend your disbelief then it really is an incredibly chilling story of man's inhumanity to man. ( )
  MargaretPemberton | Feb 19, 2017 |
Bruno is a nine-year-old boy who lives with his parents and sister in Berlin during World War II. Bruno doesn't understand why the servants must now call his father "Commandant" and why his family must move away from their friends and home in Berlin after "The Fury" has visited their home. In his new home at "Out-With," Bruno has no friends to play with, and when he looks out the window of his bedroom, there is a wire fence as far as he can see. On the other side of the fence, everyone seems to wear striped pajamas. One day, a lonely and bored Bruno explores the perimeter of the fence and meets his new best friend, Shmuel, who lives on the other side.

I bought this book several years ago, thinking one of my sons would read it, but they seemed to have no interest. Several weeks ago, my younger son came home from school and told me that he was reading a really good book that his teacher told him about - The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I thought that I should probably read it so that we could discuss it.

The book is very simplistically written as for a late elementary or early middle-grader, but I'm not sure that someone at that age would understand some of the nuances of the story. The book has a dark twist at the end which one who is not familiar with what happened in the Nazi concentration camps might miss. I did notice on Amazon that the book was for Grade 9 and up. I think adults will probably grasp the point the author was trying to make with this "fable" more than the children for whom it was written.

Of course, as a nine-year-old boy, Bruno is very naive and innocent. I do wonder whether the son of a Nazi concentration camp commandant would be ignorant about who the Jews were; I tend to think that someone who is obviously that high in the Nazi party would have been very vituperative towards the Jews and would have made sure that his children were given that message. Bruno seems more like a four or five-year-old from that standpoint than a nine-year-old.

The other thing that bothered me a little is that Bruno calls Auschwitz "Out-With." As someone who speaks a little German, "Out-With" would translate back into German as "aus mit" which would not be mistaken for Auschwitz. I do not see how a German hearing Auschwitz could think aus mit. This is a minor point, but one that bugs me, nonetheless.

I was expecting the book to be a sad one but instead found the ending very haunting. I'm very glad that I read it and I certainly understood the point the author was making. I cannot say that I "enjoyed" reading it, but it was an exceptional and powerful book, and I think the ending will stay with me always. ( )
  rretzler | Feb 3, 2017 |
Wow what a story this is. How precious life is. No matter who you are there is something to gain from reading this. It's amazing, with no preset notions, how kids see things in life.
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
This historical fiction story is about a boy who is uprooted from his home when his father gets a promotion, as he slowly discovers there are people who live close by, restricted by a large fence and some funny pajamas. The book is a great addition to a WW2 or Holocaust unit, being an engaging read that tells the story through the eye of a child on the outside looking in.
  amelianewton | Dec 6, 2016 |
"Powerful and unsettling.......As memorable an introduction to the subject as The Diary of Anne Frank."
added by cvosshans | editUSA Today (Sep 24, 2009)

"Deeply affecting......Beautiful and sparely written"
added by cvosshans | editThe Wall Street Journal (Sep 24, 2009)

added by ianreads | editThe Guardian, Kathryn Hughes (Jan 21, 2006)

Aunque el uso habitual de un texto como éste es describir las características de la obra, por una vez nos tomaremos la libertad de hacer una excepción a la norma establecida. No sólo porque el libro que tienes en tus manos es muy difícil de definir, sino porque estamos convencidos de que explicar su contenido estropearía la experiencia de la lectura. Creemos que es importante empezar esta novela sin saber de qué trata. No obstante, si decides embarcarte en la aventura, debes saber que acompañarás a Bruno, un niño de nueve años, cuando se muda con su familia a una casa junto a una cerca. Cercas como ésa existen en muchos sitios del mundo, sólo deseamos que no te encuentres nunca con una. Por último, cabe aclarar que este libro no es sólo para adultos; también lo pueden leer, y sería recomendable que lo hicieran, niños a partir de los trece años de edad.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Escolhi ler este livro porque consegue abordar a época Nazi de uma forma simples, não deixando, no entanto, de ser cruel e realista. Foca a inocência de duas crianças, que apesar de pertencerem a culturas diferentes, conseguem viver uma amizade inocente num mundo ignorante. Recomendo-o pois ele consegue transmitir que somos todos seres humanos e que devemos ser respeitados independentemente dos nossos ideias, costumes e cultura, porque se não o fizermos podemos magoar quem realmente amamos.

John Boyneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonge, Jenny deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jamie Lynch
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5767
One afternoon, when Bruno came home from school, he was surprised to find Maria, the family's maid--who always kept her head bowed and never looked up from the carpet--standing in his bedroom, pulling all his belongings out of the wardrobe and packing them in four large wooden crates, even the things he'd hidden at the back that belonged to him and were nobody else's business.
Published as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in the UK
the best book ever

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0198326769, Paperback)

Book Description

This work was set in Berlin, 1942. When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance. But, Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than what meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is now a major motion picture (releasing in November 2008). Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see a larger image in a new browser window.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

Bored and lonely after his family moves from Berlin to a place called "Out-With" in 1942, Bruno, the son of a Nazi officer, befriends a boy in striped pajamas who lives behind a wire fence.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,375,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible