The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2006)

by John Boyne

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (PghDragonMan)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (JqnOC)
    Edelweiss Pirates, Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Written from a point of view of a baker's daughter in Germany. If you liked The boy in the striped pyjama, you will love The Baker's Daughter.
    I'm Not Scared by Niccolò Ammaniti (alalba)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (keeneam)
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    I am David by Anne Holm (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book about the same topic.
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book set in the same era.
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place in WWII, but in different perspectives.
    Room by Emma Donoghue (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Patterns of Childhood by Christa Wolf (Cecrow)
    Edelweiss Pirates: The Edelweiss Express (Volume 2) by Mark A. Cooper (Clivewatkins)
    Briar Rose by Jane Yolen (Cecrow)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An intense look at one day in the life of a political prisoner in a concentration camp like environment.
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (keeneam)
    The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are about young boys who innocently befriend Jewish children imprisoned in concentration camps, without understanding the war or the Holocaust. I would highly recommend both books, especially "The Last Brother."

English (638)  Spanish (26)  Dutch (24)  German (14)  Portuguese (Portugal) (8)  Catalan (7)  Finnish (5)  Portuguese (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (731)
This book is very hard for me to write a review on because it was hard for me to read. Any book in the era is very hard to read. This book makes you think its for kids because the main character is so young but I really think it should be for older teens and up due to the nature of this book. This book kind of shows the “other side” of the Holocaust. His dad is a commander for Auschwitz. I don’t want to go too much in detail and give this one away but it is a great read! This is an important book for young adults to read, the Holocaust is one nasty thing in history that we all need to be aware of.

nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
Sooo sad. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Aug 13, 2018 |
I'm sorry to say that this book did not live up to my expectations. Perhaps it was because I listened to The Boy in the Striped Pajamas so soon after The Diary of Anne Frank. I felt as if the author was trying to manipulate the reader's emotions. There are so many true accounts of the horrors of the Holocaust that this seems like unnecessary exploitation of its millions of victims. I couldn't buy into Bruno's innocence at 10 years old (when the story began). By the end of the book's time line, he would have been nearly old enough to join the Hitler Youth. Given his father's position, it would have been expected. It seems I'm not alone in my reaction to this book, since the author felt it necessary to address such criticisms in an interview that was included at the end of the audiobook. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 5, 2018 |
Okay, I admit that parts of this book (mostly linguistically) made no sense whatsoever; such as the MC, whose native language was German, calling Auschwitz "Out-with," but my God...
The ending!!! Heart breaking.

"And that's the end of the story about Bruno and his family. Of course all of this happened a long time ago and nothing like that could ever happen again.
Not in this day and age." ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
"Powerful and unsettling.......As memorable an introduction to the subject as The Diary of Anne Frank."
added by cvosshans | editUSA Today (Sep 24, 2009)

"Deeply affecting......Beautiful and sparely written"
added by cvosshans | editThe Wall Street Journal (Sep 24, 2009)

added by ianreads | editThe Guardian, Kathryn Hughes (Jan 21, 2006)

Aunque el uso habitual de un texto como éste es describir las características de la obra, por una vez nos tomaremos la libertad de hacer una excepción a la norma establecida. No sólo porque el libro que tienes en tus manos es muy difícil de definir, sino porque estamos convencidos de que explicar su contenido estropearía la experiencia de la lectura. Creemos que es importante empezar esta novela sin saber de qué trata. No obstante, si decides embarcarte en la aventura, debes saber que acompañarás a Bruno, un niño de nueve años, cuando se muda con su familia a una casa junto a una cerca. Cercas como ésa existen en muchos sitios del mundo, sólo deseamos que no te encuentres nunca con una. Por último, cabe aclarar que este libro no es sólo para adultos; también lo pueden leer, y sería recomendable que lo hicieran, niños a partir de los trece años de edad.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Escolhi ler este livro porque consegue abordar a época Nazi de uma forma simples, não deixando, no entanto, de ser cruel e realista. Foca a inocência de duas crianças, que apesar de pertencerem a culturas diferentes, conseguem viver uma amizade inocente num mundo ignorante. Recomendo-o pois ele consegue transmitir que somos todos seres humanos e que devemos ser respeitados independentemente dos nossos ideias, costumes e cultura, porque se não o fizermos podemos magoar quem realmente amamos.

John Boyneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonge, Jenny deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jamie Lynch
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5767
Published as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in the UK
the best book ever

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0198326769, Paperback)

Book Description

This work was set in Berlin, 1942. When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance. But, Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than what meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is now a major motion picture (releasing in November 2008). Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see a larger image in a new browser window.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

Bored and lonely after his family moves from Berlin to a place called "Out-With" in 1942, Bruno, the son of a Nazi officer, befriends a boy in striped pajamas who lives behind a wire fence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,021,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible