The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2006)

by John Boyne

7,743619434 (3.96)315
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (PghDragonMan)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (JqnOC)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Written from a point of view of a baker's daughter in Germany. If you liked The boy in the striped pyjama, you will love The Baker's Daughter.
    I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti (alalba)
    I Am David by Anne Holm (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book about the same topic.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (keeneam)
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An intense look at one day in the life of a political prisoner in a concentration camp like environment.
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book set in the same era.
    Three Knocks on the Wall by Evelyn Sibley Lampman (bookel)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (keeneam)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place in WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are about young boys who innocently befriend Jewish children imprisoned in concentration camps, without understanding the war or the Holocaust. I would highly recommend both books, especially "The Last Brother."
    The Man from the Other Side by Uri Orlev (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Older and younger versions
    The Shadow Children by Steven Schnur (infiniteletters)
    Hitler and Mars Bars by Dianne Ascroft (shootingstarr7, dsalerni)

English (530)  Spanish (25)  Dutch (22)  German (14)  Catalan (7)  Finnish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Portuguese (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (617)
I tremendously enjoyed reading this book, and thought it was very well-written and thought provoking. The story's telling- in the narrative voice of Bruno made it easy for me as the reader to follow along with the text. The plot was very captivating, and the ending left me thinking. From the start of the story, I was immediately drawn in and enthralled. I liked the character role development throughout the plot, and additionally liked the aspect of an unlikely friendship forming. The narrator, Bruno and the boy in the concentration camp, each with very different backgrounds, ended up forming a strong friendship. ( )
  katietuv | Jan 22, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH/DUTCH

I think this is one of the most discussed books published in the last few years. The story can be considered either too shocking, or not shocking enough, is Bruno really this naive?

Well, I don't really care for those things, I wanted to read this book ever after my mother told me the story (and even the telling made me cry -which really is unusual!), reading the book wasn't any different. Is this the best way to teach your children about the holocaust, I'm not sure. But besides that, I think it was a well written, quite shocking story.

After this book I went on to read other books written by John Boyne, like The House of Special Purpose, Mutiny On The Bounty, etc, and actually John Boyne has turned into one of my favorite authors! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH/DUTCH

Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Summary: This fictional story is about a unlikely friendship between a son of a Nazi concentration camp commandant and a Jewish concentration camp inmate. The story takes place in Nazi, Germany and in the Auschwitz concentration camp. Bruno is the son of the concentration camp commandant, and when he moves into the camp he begins to explore the grounds and meets a boy name Shmuel. The boys share stories and Shmuel describes his worries about his missing father. Soon, Bruno sneaks into the camp and changes into inmate clothes to help Shmuel find his father. However, the boys are led to their death in a gas chamber where they die hand in hand.

Review: "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a beautiful story that shows the beauty of a child's innocence and friendship. The main idea of this story is Bruno was a boy whose innocence led him to have a amazing friendship with a young Jewish inmate. I liked how this story included both figurative and literal language. This book is told from a innocent Bruno's perspective in addition to the actual truth and severity of the situation. ( )
  rjones34 | Dec 11, 2014 |
A story about two boys who form the most unlikely of friendships -- each on one side of a concentration camp fence. A painful and sad story, but well written and tender. An important book to read. No graphic violence or images -- but anyone who knows about the Holocaust will read the story with a sense of impending dread. Okay for sixth grade on up. Sold as a book for adults in Europe, it is classified as YA here. ( )
  amydelpo | Dec 9, 2014 |
"Powerful and unsettling.......As memorable an introduction to the subject as The Diary of Anne Frank."
added by cvosshans | editUSA Today (Sep 24, 2009)

"Deeply affecting......Beautiful and sparely written"
added by cvosshans | editThe Wall Street Journal (Sep 24, 2009)

added by ianreads | editThe Guardian, Kathryn Hughes (Jan 21, 2006)

Starred Review. "While only hinting at violence, blind hatred, and deplorable conditions, Boyne has included pointed examples of bullying and fearfulness. His combination of strong characterization and simple, honest narrative make this powerful and memorable tale a unique addition to Holocaust literature for those who already have some knowledge of Hitlers Final Solution." Ages 12+.
added by cvosshans | editBookBrowse, School Library Journal - Susan Scheps

John Boyneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonge, Jenny deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jamie Lynch
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5767
One afternoon, when Bruno came home from school, he was surprised to find Maria, the family's maid--who always kept her head bowed and never looked up from the carpet--standing in his bedroom, pulling all his belongings out of the wardrobe and packing them in four large wooden crates, even the things he'd hidden at the back that belonged to him and were nobody else's business.
Published as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in the UK
the best book ever

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0198326769, Paperback)

Book Description

This work was set in Berlin, 1942. When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance. But, Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than what meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is now a major motion picture (releasing in November 2008). Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see a larger image in a new browser window.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:45 -0400)

Bored and lonely after his family moves from Berlin to a place called "Out-With" in 1942, Bruno, the son of a Nazi officer, befriends a boy in striped pajamas who lives behind a wire fence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,761,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible