The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (original 2006; edition 2007)

by John Boyne

Member:Anne-Rae.Vasquez
Title:The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Authors:John Boyne
Info:Ember (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (2006)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (PghDragonMan)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (JqnOC)
    Edelweiss Pirates: Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Written from a point of view of a baker's daughter in Germany. If you liked The boy in the striped pyjama, you will love The Baker's Daughter.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (keeneam)
    I'm Not Scared by Niccolò Ammaniti (alalba)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place in WWII, but in different perspectives.
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book set in the same era.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    I am David by Anne Holm (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book about the same topic.
    Room by Emma Donoghue (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Patterns of Childhood by Christa Wolf (Cecrow)
    Edelweiss Pirates: The Edelweiss Express by Mark A. Cooper (Clivewatkins)
    Briar Rose by Jane Yolen (Cecrow)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An intense look at one day in the life of a political prisoner in a concentration camp like environment.
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (keeneam)
    The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are about young boys who innocently befriend Jewish children imprisoned in concentration camps, without understanding the war or the Holocaust. I would highly recommend both books, especially "The Last Brother."

English (641)  Spanish (26)  Dutch (24)  German (14)  Portuguese (Portugal) (8)  Catalan (7)  Finnish (5)  Portuguese (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (734)
Sooo sad but so much meaning behind the words. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Nov 30, 2018 |
Bruno must move with his family from a very nice home in the city of Berlin to a smaller home in the countryside in a place that he thinks is called Out-With. Bruno is nine years old and his father is a high-ranking officer in the German army during World War II. Bruno happens to be a rather naïve boy who doesn’t have any idea about what is happening at the camp located next to his new home. He does know that the people there all wear “striped pajamas”. But he doesn’t understand why they are in the camp or what they do there. Even to the end of the book, Bruno is still not very enlightened as to reality of the life in the concentration camp that was right outside his bedroom window.

This book does little for raising awareness about the horrible treatment of the Jewish people. It also does not address the atrocities suffered by those in the concentration camps. I understand that this is a book for the tween and YA reader who doesn’t need detailed exposure to these things. But I also think that the book was way too subtle in its attempts to show the differences between Bruno’s life outside the gates and Shmuel’s life on the inside. This book begs for more explanation than is given to the young reader.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
tiene una trama donde la historia abarca los años de esclavitud hacia los judios y se puede observar la amistad entre dos pequeños un judio y un chico normal ( )
  jose01 | Nov 16, 2018 |
I read this book for the first time a few years ago, when my middle school students were required to read it. I found an abridged version with illustrations, for one of my ESL students. The rest of us read John Boyne's original. I liked that the boys were the same age, and I loved watching their friendship develop. They were from two different worlds, and the book did a great job of showing us this. I decided to pull out this book again, and I noticed one of my students had annotated the text. I skimmed through, reading little notes and underlined parts. I remembered the ending and I got really sad, and didn't even want to skim over it. I remember another teacher telling me this book doesn't do the Holocaust justice. I understand why she felt that way, but I still enjoyed this story. ( )
  denisebarry | Oct 27, 2018 |
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a book about a boy, Bruno, who’s father becomes a Nazi Commandant. Bruno then has to move out of his five story house in Berlin, to Outwith. Outwith is Bruno's new home in the middle of nowhere. Bruno is sad because he has no neighbors and no friends at Outwith; except for his sister, of whom he dislikes. Though when Bruno looks outside his window he can see a large barbwire fence and on the other side there are people in striped pajamas. Since his house is so small, Bruno decides to explore elsewhere, outside. He walks towards and down the fence. Just when he's about to go home, he sees a dot in the distance. Soon that dot becomes a boy, Schmuel. Schmuel is on the other side of the fence but is brunos only friend. Not long after a year or two Bruno's father and mother get in a fight and decide it's best for the family if bruno, hi smother, and his sister move back to berlin. Therefor bruno and schmuel decide to go on an adventure. Shmuel's father goes missing so Shmuel gets Bruno some striped pajamas and bruno crawls under a gap in the fence. Soon before bruno can get home the camp goes on a march to a small building. They go inside… and never come out.

I enjoyed this book. It kept me hung on every page. Though i will not lie, I was a little uncomfortable reading the last two chapters. But every preference was a puzzle, Outwith I believe was the Auschwitz camp. For near the end Gretel, Bruno's sister, says he's been saying it wrong the whole time! Still it was a hooking book i would recommend greatly. Again it was sad but it was a great book all the same.
  sydneyh.g1 | Oct 21, 2018 |
"Powerful and unsettling.......As memorable an introduction to the subject as The Diary of Anne Frank."
added by cvosshans | editUSA Today (Sep 24, 2009)

"Deeply affecting......Beautiful and sparely written"
added by cvosshans | editThe Wall Street Journal (Sep 24, 2009)

added by ianreads | editThe Guardian, Kathryn Hughes (Jan 21, 2006)

Aunque el uso habitual de un texto como éste es describir las características de la obra, por una vez nos tomaremos la libertad de hacer una excepción a la norma establecida. No sólo porque el libro que tienes en tus manos es muy difícil de definir, sino porque estamos convencidos de que explicar su contenido estropearía la experiencia de la lectura. Creemos que es importante empezar esta novela sin saber de qué trata. No obstante, si decides embarcarte en la aventura, debes saber que acompañarás a Bruno, un niño de nueve años, cuando se muda con su familia a una casa junto a una cerca. Cercas como ésa existen en muchos sitios del mundo, sólo deseamos que no te encuentres nunca con una. Por último, cabe aclarar que este libro no es sólo para adultos; también lo pueden leer, y sería recomendable que lo hicieran, niños a partir de los trece años de edad.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Escolhi ler este livro porque consegue abordar a época Nazi de uma forma simples, não deixando, no entanto, de ser cruel e realista. Foca a inocência de duas crianças, que apesar de pertencerem a culturas diferentes, conseguem viver uma amizade inocente num mundo ignorante. Recomendo-o pois ele consegue transmitir que somos todos seres humanos e que devemos ser respeitados independentemente dos nossos ideias, costumes e cultura, porque se não o fizermos podemos magoar quem realmente amamos.

John Boyneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonge, Jenny deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jamie Lynch
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5767
Published as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in the UK
the best book ever

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0198326769, Paperback)

Book Description

This work was set in Berlin, 1942. When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance. But, Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than what meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is now a major motion picture (releasing in November 2008). Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see a larger image in a new browser window.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

Bored and lonely after his family moves from Berlin to a place called "Out-With" in 1942, Bruno, the son of a Nazi officer, befriends a boy in striped pajamas who lives behind a wire fence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,769,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible