The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (original 2006; edition 2007)

by John Boyne

Member:Boobalack
Title:The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Authors:John Boyne
Info:Ember (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction-Historical, Auschwitz, Friendship, Children, WWII, Nazis, Horror, Read

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (2006)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (PghDragonMan)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (JqnOC)
    Edelweiss Pirates, Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Written from a point of view of a baker's daughter in Germany. If you liked The boy in the striped pyjama, you will love The Baker's Daughter.
    I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti (alalba)
    I Am David by Anne Holm (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book about the same topic.
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An intense look at one day in the life of a political prisoner in a concentration camp like environment.
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book set in the same era.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (keeneam)
    Three Knocks on the Wall by Evelyn Sibley Lampman (bookel)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place in WWII, but in different perspectives.
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (keeneam)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    The Man from the Other Side by Uri Orlev (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Older and younger versions
    Daniel's Story by Carol Matas (joririchardson)
    The Shadow Children by Steven Schnur (infiniteletters)

English (544)  Spanish (27)  Dutch (22)  German (14)  Catalan (7)  Finnish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Portuguese (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (633)
This story is told by a nine year old boy in Nazi Germany. Even though I only gave it three stars, I would recommend it. I actually listened to it as an e-book. That may have influenced my opinion, but I now want to get the book and find out if it is told in the same way. There are very interesting devices used in the story that I cannot talk about because it would be a spoiler. If anyone reads it, let me know. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Shannon, don't read this until you've finished!

This novel held my interest and frustrated me most of the time. The naivete of the protagonist was annoying, but probably typical of a 9-year-old or someone ignorant to the ways of the world? Although, I have an almost-9-year-old and found that the two can't possibly be the same age--seemed semi-unrealistic. Knowing what is happening as an adult reader, those things that the protagonist can't string together, was certainly an important and deliberate effect of the author's writing, but it again was unrealistic historically. There is no way that a 9 & 10-year-old child of a Commandant would never have heard the word "Jew", even while living next door to a concentration camp. Um...Hitler Youth? Perhaps I just need to experience the novel as if I were 13 so that these details would stop bothering me. I thought the malapropism "Out-with" for Auschwitz was poignant, as well as the clever plot event at the end. However, I feel that the author missed an opportunity at the end by not having the Commandant realize the full truth of what had happened--this could have led to a much more powerful resolution.

My favorite parts were when Bruno was confused as to why he wasn't "allowed" to go to the other side, when the two boys in the "pajamas" looked exactly the same, when Bruno demonstrated how horrible one could act (betrayal, twice) when afraid to stand up for what's right, and when the author ended by saying, "Nothing like that could ever happen again. Not in this day and age."

From reading the post-its of a middle-schooler in this book (leftover from the previous library user), it is obvious that this book would be useless to someone who doesn't know the basics already of the Holocaust. Overall, I felt this book could have been more, but it was a "good" book; I'm just not sure for WHOM. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I am so very sad right now. ( )
  dkgarner95 | Jul 29, 2015 |
This one was a book that was ruined by my own expectations. I initially thought that the focus of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was going to be... well, the boy in the striped pajamas. But in the end, this book is actually more about the life of a wealthy boy and his trifle problems and how he got to meet the boy in the concentration camps. I personally wasn't bothered about most of the things other people criticized in this book: the lack of historical accuracy, the annoying characters, the writing style etc. I was bothered with the lack of scenes depicting how that friendship was formed. I did enjoy the ending though.
Anyway, I didn't find this book particularly bad, I was just expecting too much from it. ( )
  aryadeschain | Jul 24, 2015 |
An emotional roller coaster that conjured feelings of anger, hatred and disgust as I read it but also hope, sympathy and the odd moment of joy. A young naive German boy called Bruno who has been raised in an upperclass military household is moved to a concentration camp when his father is promoted to be in its charge. Not far from his house sits a large fence that holds the prisoners and there he watches them wander around miserably in their 'striped pyjamas'.

Having a knowledge of this part of history forces you to have an immediate opinion on every character based entirely on there race. It is hard to imagine a good German running a prisoner camp but Bruno does not really seem to know what is going on. As a nine year old I believe he should have been able to pick up on a bit more but maybe the lesson is that being sheltered and kept in the dark about the true state of the humanity you are part of is a very dangerous thing.

Setting out to explore his surroundings he meets a boy the same age on the other side of the face and they begin to form a friendship based on the things all kids that age have in common. To say anymore would be to steal something from the reader. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
"Powerful and unsettling.......As memorable an introduction to the subject as The Diary of Anne Frank."
added by cvosshans | editUSA Today (Sep 24, 2009)

"Deeply affecting......Beautiful and sparely written"
added by cvosshans | editThe Wall Street Journal (Sep 24, 2009)

added by ianreads | editThe Guardian, Kathryn Hughes (Jan 21, 2006)

Aunque el uso habitual de un texto como éste es describir las características de la obra, por una vez nos tomaremos la libertad de hacer una excepción a la norma establecida. No sólo porque el libro que tienes en tus manos es muy difícil de definir, sino porque estamos convencidos de que explicar su contenido estropearía la experiencia de la lectura. Creemos que es importante empezar esta novela sin saber de qué trata. No obstante, si decides embarcarte en la aventura, debes saber que acompañarás a Bruno, un niño de nueve años, cuando se muda con su familia a una casa junto a una cerca. Cercas como ésa existen en muchos sitios del mundo, sólo deseamos que no te encuentres nunca con una. Por último, cabe aclarar que este libro no es sólo para adultos; también lo pueden leer, y sería recomendable que lo hicieran, niños a partir de los trece años de edad.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Escolhi ler este livro porque consegue abordar a época Nazi de uma forma simples, não deixando, no entanto, de ser cruel e realista. Foca a inocência de duas crianças, que apesar de pertencerem a culturas diferentes, conseguem viver uma amizade inocente num mundo ignorante. Recomendo-o pois ele consegue transmitir que somos todos seres humanos e que devemos ser respeitados independentemente dos nossos ideias, costumes e cultura, porque se não o fizermos podemos magoar quem realmente amamos.

John Boyneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonge, Jenny deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jamie Lynch
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5767
One afternoon, when Bruno came home from school, he was surprised to find Maria, the family's maid--who always kept her head bowed and never looked up from the carpet--standing in his bedroom, pulling all his belongings out of the wardrobe and packing them in four large wooden crates, even the things he'd hidden at the back that belonged to him and were nobody else's business.
Published as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in the UK
the best book ever

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0198326769, Paperback)

Book Description

This work was set in Berlin, 1942. When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance. But, Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than what meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is now a major motion picture (releasing in November 2008). Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see a larger image in a new browser window.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

Bored and lonely after his family moves from Berlin to a place called "Out-With" in 1942, Bruno, the son of a Nazi officer, befriends a boy in striped pajamas who lives behind a wire fence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,034,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible