The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (original 2006; edition 2007)

by John Boyne

Member:Boobalack
Title:The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Authors:John Boyne
Info:Ember (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction-Historical, Auschwitz, Friendship, Children, WWII, Nazis, Horror, Read

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (2006)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (PghDragonMan)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (JqnOC)
    Edelweiss Pirates, Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Written from a point of view of a baker's daughter in Germany. If you liked The boy in the striped pyjama, you will love The Baker's Daughter.
    I'm Not Scared by Niccolò Ammaniti (alalba)
    I Am David by Anne Holm (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book about the same topic.
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An intense look at one day in the life of a political prisoner in a concentration camp like environment.
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book set in the same era.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (keeneam)
    Three Knocks on the Wall by Evelyn Sibley Lampman (bookel)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place in WWII, but in different perspectives.
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (keeneam)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    The Man from the Other Side by Uri Orlev (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Older and younger versions
    Daniel's Story by Carol Matas (joririchardson)
    The Shadow Children by Steven Schnur (infiniteletters)

English (571)  Spanish (27)  Dutch (22)  German (14)  Catalan (7)  Finnish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Portuguese (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (660)
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

★ ★ ★

I really wanted to like this book more than I did. And while it wasn't bad, I felt that it could have been so much more. Any book dealing with the Holocaust is gut wrenching, but even though I read the sadness in this book, I honestly didn't feel it. I felt that the characters were very flat, giving me little connection to them. I think the coincidences were too convenient and I had difficulty believing in many of the situations. Perhaps with a little bit more detail and realism I would have enjoyed this book more. I do realize that this book is listed as a young adult book and perhaps that's why it is so simplistic, but it just didn't stick with me. The book definitely had potential. But I give any author credit who has the guts to write about such a tragic piece of history – it's a subject that even 70 years later is not easy to touch on. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Not the best Holocaust book I have read, but poignant nonetheless. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
This an amazing book. It blew my mind.

"The story of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is very difficult to describe. Usually we give some clues about the book on the jacket, but in this case we think that would spoil the reading of the book. We think it is important that you start to read without knowing what it is about.
If you do start to read this book, you will go on a journey with a nine year old boy called Bruno. (Though this isn't a book for nine year olds.) And sooner or later you will arrive with Bruno at a fence.
Fences like these exist all over the world. We hope you never have to encounter such a fence."
(From the book jacket...)

This is the second time I read this book and I have to say that it gives me chills every time. The book is told almost entirely from Bruno's point of view. Everything is viewed through the eyes of a naive, sheltered 9 year old boy. And that is one of the things that makes this novel so moving. Without giving things away, it is hard to explain why this book is so powerful. Let me just say, read it. It probably won't take more than a day or two and it is definitely worth your time.

Recommended to:
This is not a book for kids below high school level. Maybe middle school if you read it with them. Maybe. Not only is the material difficult, but it also might be sort of over their heads.
If you like historical fiction, and frankly even if you don't, read this book. I'm not promising you will love it, but I can't imagine you won't be touched by it in some way. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
*SPOILERS* Because of his father's job, the family has to leave their comfortable home in Berlin to a place called "Out-With." Nine-year-old Bruno is lonely and misses his old life. There are no children to play with but at the fenced-in camp nearby, he spies children and adults all of whom are wearing "striped pajamas" and matching hats. Bruno is proud of his father, a commandant who looks smart and official in his red and black uniform. And while it seems to be an honor to host the "Fury" for dinner, Bruno deems him the rudest guest he's met. Bruno befriends a boy at the camp named Shmuel ; they have conversations on either side of the fence but they can't play together. A year or so later, Bruno learns that he, his mother and sister are returning to Berlin. In his last meeting with Shmuel they decide to explore the camp and find Shmuel's missing father. Fatefully, Bruno slips under the fence disguised in the striped pajamas that Shmuel provides. While exploring the camp, Bruno and Shmuel are caught up in a forced march...to the gas chamber. Only much later does Bruno's father, a Nazi officer, realize what must have happened. Powerful story about the Holocaust from a German boy's point of view. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
After watching the movie and being absolutely heartbroken by the end, I really wanted to read the book when I found out there was one. I'm sad to say that I loved the movie, but found the book to be so-so. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Jan 27, 2016 |
"Powerful and unsettling.......As memorable an introduction to the subject as The Diary of Anne Frank."
added by cvosshans | editUSA Today (Sep 24, 2009)

"Deeply affecting......Beautiful and sparely written"
added by cvosshans | editThe Wall Street Journal (Sep 24, 2009)

added by ianreads | editThe Guardian, Kathryn Hughes (Jan 21, 2006)

Aunque el uso habitual de un texto como éste es describir las características de la obra, por una vez nos tomaremos la libertad de hacer una excepción a la norma establecida. No sólo porque el libro que tienes en tus manos es muy difícil de definir, sino porque estamos convencidos de que explicar su contenido estropearía la experiencia de la lectura. Creemos que es importante empezar esta novela sin saber de qué trata. No obstante, si decides embarcarte en la aventura, debes saber que acompañarás a Bruno, un niño de nueve años, cuando se muda con su familia a una casa junto a una cerca. Cercas como ésa existen en muchos sitios del mundo, sólo deseamos que no te encuentres nunca con una. Por último, cabe aclarar que este libro no es sólo para adultos; también lo pueden leer, y sería recomendable que lo hicieran, niños a partir de los trece años de edad.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Escolhi ler este livro porque consegue abordar a época Nazi de uma forma simples, não deixando, no entanto, de ser cruel e realista. Foca a inocência de duas crianças, que apesar de pertencerem a culturas diferentes, conseguem viver uma amizade inocente num mundo ignorante. Recomendo-o pois ele consegue transmitir que somos todos seres humanos e que devemos ser respeitados independentemente dos nossos ideias, costumes e cultura, porque se não o fizermos podemos magoar quem realmente amamos.

John Boyneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonge, Jenny deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jamie Lynch
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5767
One afternoon, when Bruno came home from school, he was surprised to find Maria, the family's maid--who always kept her head bowed and never looked up from the carpet--standing in his bedroom, pulling all his belongings out of the wardrobe and packing them in four large wooden crates, even the things he'd hidden at the back that belonged to him and were nobody else's business.
Published as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in the UK
the best book ever

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0198326769, Paperback)

Book Description

This work was set in Berlin, 1942. When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance. But, Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than what meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is now a major motion picture (releasing in November 2008). Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see a larger image in a new browser window.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

Bored and lonely after his family moves from Berlin to a place called "Out-With" in 1942, Bruno, the son of a Nazi officer, befriends a boy in striped pajamas who lives behind a wire fence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,157,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible