The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas (original 2006; edition 2008)

by John Boyne

Member:ankh66
Title:The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
Authors:John Boyne
Info:David Fickling Books (2008), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 224 pages

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (2006)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (PghDragonMan)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (JqnOC)
    The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Written from a point of view of a baker's daughter in Germany. If you liked The boy in the striped pyjama, you will love The Baker's Daughter.
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti (alalba)
    I Am David by Anne Holm (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book about the same topic.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (keeneam)
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: An intense look at one day in the life of a political prisoner in a concentration camp like environment.
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Another pre-teen book set in the same era.
    Three Knocks on the Wall by Evelyn Sibley Lampman (bookel)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (keeneam)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place in WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are about young boys who innocently befriend Jewish children imprisoned in concentration camps, without understanding the war or the Holocaust. I would highly recommend both books, especially "The Last Brother."
    The Man from the Other Side by Uri Orlev (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Older and younger versions
    The Shadow Children by Steven Schnur (infiniteletters)
    Hitler and Mars Bars by Dianne Ascroft (shootingstarr7, dsalerni)

English (540)  Spanish (27)  Dutch (22)  German (14)  Catalan (7)  Finnish (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Portuguese (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (629)
This is heart wrenching story about a young boy named Bruno whose father is a Commander at a concentration camp. Bruno ends up making friends with another young boy who is actually in the concentration camp. The boys would always meet up at a wire fence. This friendship leads into Bruno trying to help the young boy in the camp find his father. Not long after Bruno enters the concentration camp, he is mistaken as a prisoner and him and his friend are led to their death. This story shows the innocence of children and the power of friendship. I would recommend this book for high school students because it is very emotional and has a very deep meaning. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Apr 29, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this. It was interesting to get a child's perspective of living through the holocaust, on the German side. I was slightly annoyed with certain things, like it seemed very English (written by an English author), and I kept forgetting they were supposed to be speaking German. And then when I did remember, I became really annoyed that he called the concentration camp "Out-With" rather than Auschwitz, never mind that those words wouldn't translate with the same sound in German! Those were small issues, though. He was vague about certain things, and I found I wanted so much more information than he was giving, but I guess since it's told from the perspective of a very naive 9 year old, it sort of works. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
I'm not going to say that this novel has become one of my all time favorites, but it is a book that brings a bit more awareness into people's lives about the Holocaust. Not a huge amount, but there's some there. I felt like the book started off extremely slow. Literally at page 100 the pace picked up, but I just felt like the writing was too simplistic.

The simplicity of the writing was actually spot on, because the author created the main character to be nine years old. So of course this nine year old wouldn't be throwing out eight or nine syllable long words. However, by page 50 I felt like I just wanted the book to end so I could be done with the simplistic style of writing.

I was reading the interview with John Boyne that was at the end of my version of the novel, and he talked about how the book came into existence when an image of two boys separated by a fence popped into his head. He made it his goal from there to portray the naivety of many people during the events of the Holocaust. I feel like people today assume that everybody knew what was actually happening as the Holocaust unfolded. In truth though, many did not know. They knew that their leader, Hitler, was strict and maintained control with fear. They knew that if they publicly gave an act of kindness towards the prisoners they would be severely punished. However, they did NOT know about the gas chambers. They did NOT know about the ovens that many were forced into. They did NOT know about the large ditches that the prisoners were forced to dig, and then be shot one by one into the ditch once they finished. They did NOT know that millions were being starved and forced to work from dawn to dusk. All these horrific actions were kept away from the public.

Today, we have first accounts from the people who experienced these atrocious inhumane acts through interviews and books. We know so much more about the Holocaust than the ones who lived it. I try to read as many articles and books about the Holocaust as I can, because I feel like it's my own way of honoring those who lost their lives. We know most of the truth today, which leads us to tough questions.

Would you risk your own life to help one of the prisoners? Give them food? Shelter?

Or would you sneer, spit on them, and say that they deserve everything that they get?

How do you think you would have acted if you had lived during that dark period of time?

Personally, I would like to believe that I would have tried to figure out how to sneak food to them or help them find a way to sneak out. But who knows. Fear causes us to become selfish.

The fence plays an essential role in the book, and in many of our lives. In the interview, Boyne talks about various "fences" that have erected in our own time. He talked about various wars in Africa and the Middle East, and how war victims were placed in camps to work to death. However, I interpreted that the fence doesn't have to be physical. Maybe you are experiencing some financial struggles or the loss of a beloved family member. Those particular struggles may be temporary, but it's a fence all in the same. Everybody has their fences. Some may have them longer than others, but we all have our fences. I'd like to add this quote from the interview:

"Fences like this exist all over the world. We hope you never have to reach such a fence." (Boyne)

I highly recommend this book, because of its portrayal of the naivety of the people who lived outside of the fences. This book will open your eyes a bit more about the Holocaust resulting in losing your own naivety of that awful period of time.
  mamelotti | Apr 24, 2015 |
Stunned is my only response. The story was beautiful and heartrending. The story of an innocent 9 yr old boy faced with the reality of Auchswitz concentration camp that he cannot comprehend. It's also the story of his friendship with a Jewish boy that resides in the camp. A story from the outside - looking in.

4.5 stars ( )
  tnociti | Mar 30, 2015 |
Really heart touching book that describes the cruelty of the Holocaust during the World War II, with the story of two little friends. ( )
  danim116 | Mar 24, 2015 |
"Powerful and unsettling.......As memorable an introduction to the subject as The Diary of Anne Frank."
added by cvosshans | editUSA Today (Sep 24, 2009)

"Deeply affecting......Beautiful and sparely written"
added by cvosshans | editThe Wall Street Journal (Sep 24, 2009)

added by ianreads | editThe Guardian, Kathryn Hughes (Jan 21, 2006)

Starred Review. "While only hinting at violence, blind hatred, and deplorable conditions, Boyne has included pointed examples of bullying and fearfulness. His combination of strong characterization and simple, honest narrative make this powerful and memorable tale a unique addition to Holocaust literature for those who already have some knowledge of Hitlers Final Solution." Ages 12+.
added by cvosshans | editBookBrowse, School Library Journal - Susan Scheps

John Boyneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jakobeit, BrigitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonge, Jenny deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jamie Lynch
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5767
One afternoon, when Bruno came home from school, he was surprised to find Maria, the family's maid--who always kept her head bowed and never looked up from the carpet--standing in his bedroom, pulling all his belongings out of the wardrobe and packing them in four large wooden crates, even the things he'd hidden at the back that belonged to him and were nobody else's business.
Published as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in the UK
the best book ever

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0198326769, Paperback)

Book Description

This work was set in Berlin, 1942. When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance. But, Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than what meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is now a major motion picture (releasing in November 2008). Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see a larger image in a new browser window.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:45 -0400)

Bored and lonely after his family moves from Berlin to a place called "Out-With" in 1942, Bruno, the son of a Nazi officer, befriends a boy in striped pajamas who lives behind a wire fence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,233,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible