Losing Christina: Fog by Caroline B Cooney

Losing Christina: Fog (original 1989; edition 2001)

by Caroline B Cooney

Member:DubaiReader
Title:Losing Christina: Fog
Authors:Caroline B Cooney
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***
Tags:YA, NetGalley, 2013

Losing Christina: Fog by Caroline B. Cooney (1989)

Point Horror re-release.

When I requested this book from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review, I was not aware that this was a re-release from 1995, nor that it was previously published as a Point Horror book. I have enjoyed many Young Adult novels but would not knowingly choose to read Point Horror. Having said that, I decided to give this a go and I have to admit, there were parts of the book that I did really enjoy. On the other hand, some aspects didn't ring true and unfortunately detracted from my enjoyment.

Christina lives on a sparsely populated island, known as Burning Fog Isle, off the coast of Maine. Children are schooled on the island until the age of 13, at which time they move to the mainland school. Christina moves to the mainland to join the three older island children who had moved on in previous years. They are all to board with the principal and his wife at the Schooner Inne, perched high on the crags by the sea.
However, their hosts appear to have a spooky agenda and we fear for the safety of their charges.

I loved the descriptions of the sea, it was like another character in the book, surging and churning in the background throughout. Christina was feisty and outspoken and did a great job of holding the narrative together.
On the downside, I couldn't quite grasp the motivation of the principal and his wife, perhaps I have to read the other two books of the series for the answer to this. Christina's friend Anya's drift into blankness also puzzled me from a psychological point of view.

I enjoyed the added photos of the author as a child, teenager and adult that are in the back of the reissued version of this book. The new cover art is also much more appealing than the dated 1995 cover.
Personally, I feel that if this book is being re-released to today's young readers then it should have modern amenities added, such as mobile phones etc. To add to the cut off feeling they could be missing their chargers or have been dropped in the sea, but the book needs a nod to the modern era. Not a book for older teens but good for slightly younger readers and it's breath of fresh air that there's not a vampire to be seen. ( )
  DubaiReader | Jan 28, 2013 |
Christina is excited because this year she is 13 and she gets to leave the island she grew up on and attend junior high on the mainland in Maine. Despite her excitement, she is torn by worry about whether she'll be bullied by the mainland kids, who think islanders are stupid and poor. But those worries soon take second place when she realizes that the owners of the bed and breakfast that she and her islander friends lodge at are using psychological torment to suck the souls out of girls. She's terrified as she watches the beautiful and brilliant senior Anya fade away. And soon the psychopaths are after her own mind.

When I was pre-junior high I used to gobble up these Point Horror books like a turkey dinner. (haha. ok, I know that wasn't funny. Just work with it.) There are very few of those books that I actually remember liking though. This is one that has really stuck with me through the years. When I found it in the library recently I thought: "I wonder..." And I'm glad I did, because I found this book terrifying. When I was a teenager, I think I found the spooky psychological aspects of going insane scary. Now, the book is even more terrifying, but for a different reason. Those psychopath adults who have FULL control over those poor children were horrible! They were charming, and fantastic liars, and those kids' parents weren't around to see what was going on. They just believed whatever the adults told them rather than believing their own children. And the things those psychopaths said to the kids! Ohhhhh shudder. Yes, the book lacked subtlety. But the fact that it terrified me even now gets it four stars in my blog! My only complaint (besides the lack of subtlety - which is really due to it's target audience) is that it ended in a cliffhanger. This is a trilogy of short books. It really should be one longer book. Even combined, I think the book would still be reasonably short. But it WAS Point Horror, after all. They had to be short. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Jan 3, 2013 |
"There are a lot of things that don't add up and a lot is left to the imagination but Cooney manages to feed the imagination just enough to keep you intrigued and reading."
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/fog-caroline-b-cooney.html ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Oct 24, 2012 |
Once a child reaches 7th grade, they are sent from the island to the mainland for schooling. Christina just turned 13 and is looking forward to life on the mainland. However, things aren't quite what they seem. The Principle and his wife seem to exert eerie control over both students and parents. One of the other island girls seems to be deteriorating mentally right before Christina's eyes. Plus, Christina is ostracized at school, finding it hard to make friends.

Overall, I enjoyed this story, right up until the ending. The author left the book hanging, without any conclusion. Looking back, it is just a set-up for a sequel or a series. I have read other Cooney books, and have noticed that her storyline and writing are great in the first book and deteriorate as the sequels stretch out. Christina was also an awkward character. She was overly defiant, when she should have been meek or timid. I think she was overly dramatized, when a more realistic character would have worked better. I probably won't pick up the next one. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Oct 16, 2012 |
Christine is excited to be leaving her island home to attend school on the mainland. Her companions, including her friend, Anya, are older and don't share her enthusiasm. They tell her that the mainland kids hate islanders and will make her life a misery. But Christina will let nothing dampen her spirits - that is, until she meets the Shevingtons, the couple with whom they will be staying. He is the principal at the school and she's an English teacher and, to everyone else, they seem perfect. However, Christine immediately feels that something is not right with them. Unfortunately, if anyone else shares her suspicions, they aren't saying.

Soon Christine finds herself in a battle of wills with the couple while Anya appears to be losing both her sanity and her sense of self. As the fog rolls in and the waves threaten to knock down the inn where they are staying, Christine must find a way to fight this evil while saving Anya from suicide or worse, disappearing into herself.

Fog is, simply put, a classic tale of good versus evil and the only word to describe it is CREEPY. Originally written in 1989 as the first of a trilogy aimed at a YA audience and re-released this year by Open Road Media, Fog has most of the ingredients of the best slasher films like Scream and Halloween but without the sex and gore. Although, there are a few things which date the novel (eg VCRs), still it is guaranteed to send more than a few chills up your spine. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Oct 16, 2012 |
It was very hot the last week before school began: as though the wind from another world were crossing the island.

The Shevvingtons are perfect. Mr. Shevvington is the charming, handsome principal of Christina's school. His wife is a dedicated English teacher. When the Autumn fog rolls over the coast, Christina and Anya begin boarding at the Shevvington's home, where Christina discovers that nothing is as it seems. Anya is slowly losing her mind, and Christina knows the Shevvingtons are behind it. But who will take her word against that of the Shevvingtons? This is book one in the LOSING CHRISTINA series.

The Shevvingtons are perfect. Mr. Shevvington is the charming, handsome principal of Christina's school. His wife is a dedicated English teacher. When the Autumn fog rolls over the coast, Christian and Anya begin boarding at the Shevvington's home, where Christina discovers that nothing is as it seems. Anya is slowly losing her mind, and Christina knows the Shevvingtons are behind it. But who will take her word against that of the Shevvingtons? This is book one in the LOSING CHRISTINA series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:40 -0400)

Something evil is happening at the Shevvington's house. Anya is slowly losing her mind, and Christina knows that the Shevvington's are behind it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible