The Vampire Diaries: Dark Reunion by L. J.…

The Vampire Diaries: Dark Reunion (original 1992; edition 2010)

by L. J. Smith

Member:Lapse
Title:The Vampire Diaries: Dark Reunion
Authors:L. J. Smith
Info:HarperTeen (2010), Kindle Edition, 171 pages
Rating:***

Dark Reunion by L. J. Smith (1992)

English (9)  Italian (1)  All languages (10)
So far I can say that this installment is fractionally better than the first three books put together, and this is only by chapter 3. It doesn't seem that it is as shallow as the previous. Bonnie is a more rounded and believable character.
Questions for chapter 3: Why didn't the girls know Caroline's house as well as their own? If they've been great pals their whole life wouldn't they. Maybe it's just me, but I'm the type of person that makes it a point to know my surroundings! How big is Caroline's house, is it some type of mansion for Christ's sake?
Chapter 12 yet again exhibits this, example follows. "Stephen lighted a candle since the lights would hurt his eyes." See the grammar mistake, I do! It's fucking lit Smith! Where the hell is your editor? Really?
See these are the type of holes I can punch into this writers work! So now bringing to the masses bad grammar along with worse than shallow characters.
Merry effing x-mas! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
This book was a bit interesting I guess. I still am having trouble with the whole 'Elena, you are perfect and every guy wants you!' thing. I liked the ghost though. I'm just not that into these books. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
Three books would have been enough... ( )
1 vote AgneJakubauskaite | Apr 4, 2014 |
The fourth and final installment of L.J. Smith's Vampire Diaries saga (although I understand that there is a sequel series, Vampire Diaries: The Return), Dark Reunion sees Elena - who sacrificed herself to save Stefan and Damon in The Fury - warning her friends of danger from the beyond. What new horror stalks Fells Church, and will Bonnie, Meredith and Matt, with the aid of the vampire brothers, be able to defeat it?

This conclusion to the series reads like an afterthought - hardly surprising when one considers that it was an unexpected addition, written after the first three titles - and a weak one, at that. I was able to guess the identity of the terrifying new bad guy almost at once (really, who else could it be?), and never felt the slightest doubt that the good guys would triumph. The conclusion, undoubtedly meant to compensate fans for the unhappy ending of the previous installment, was unconvincing. Smith offered no explanation for an event that has no precedent in her series, expecting readers to simply go along. I couldn't help wishing that she had let this remain a trilogy.

On a more general note, although I zipped through all four of The Vampire Diaries, finding them immensely readable on one level, I am constrained to admit that I also completed the series with a distinct sense of disappointment. After my warm appreciation of Smith's Night World books, I expected to enjoy her other vampire-series more than I have. Somehow, these characters just don't appeal to me the way the Nightworlders do. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 17, 2013 |
I think L.J. Smith would have been better off stopping after the third book in the series. That one had a decent - although sad - ending and felt like a proper conclusion to the series. This one seemed more like L.J. Smith suddenly realising "Oh, I shouldn't have ended the series so quickly - I'd better find a way to continue it". It did work somewhat, but the fact that it was so obviously an add-on made me less impressed by the book.

It was still better than book #2 though. Though I found #4 an obvious fourth book in a trilogy, I did like the characters here, and thought they developed nicely through the book. The plot wasn't half-bad either. ( )
  Kiwiria | Mar 30, 2013 |
For John and Marianne Vrabec , with love.And with thanks to Julie—again—for helping it get written.
"Things can be just like they were before," said Caroline warmly, reaching out to squeeze Bonnie's hand.

The Final Conflict...The Last Deadly Kiss
Elena
Now she rises from the dead to recreate the powerful vampire trio.

Stefan
Summoned by Elena, he keeps a promise to her and fights the most terrifying evil he's ever faced.

Damon
Joining the brother he once called enemy, Damon battles this new horror with strength, cunning, and deadly charm.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061059927, Mass Market Paperback)

The Final Conflict...The Last Deadly Kiss

Elena
Now she rises from the dead to recreate the powerful vampire trio.

Stefan
Summoned by Elena, he keeps a promise to her and fights the most terrifying evil he' s ever faced.

Damon

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:32 -0400)

Elena rises from the dead and awakens the vampire brothers, Stefan and Damon, to help her save her beloved town from an inexplicable evil.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,336,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible