Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers

Mary Poppins (1934)

by P. L. Travers

Series: Mary Poppins (1)

English (112)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (116)
Our high school drama club put on the musical, Mary Poppins. My friend Joann, whose son, Tim, was in the production, said it was rather different from the Disney movie, albeit containing many of the same songs and somewhat the basic plot outline. So my spouse and I went to the production. We only managed the first act. It was ok, but it was long and we were tired. Tim acquitted himself nicely, as did several other kids from our church. Anyway, I figured I should read the book.

The book is somewhat different from the Disney movie and the play. For one thing, Mary Poppins, herself, isn't a very nice person. She is strict and uncommunicative, and exceedingly vain. But, she does take her charges on some rather interesting adventures. So, the book is a series of chapters, each with a different magical adventure, and none of them much feeding on the ones proceeding. I don't remember any chimney sweeps in the book, Bert is a sidewalk artist, and only appears in one chapter, I think. But, there are other books in the Mary Poppins canon, so perhaps some of the stories in the movie and musical were drawn from later books.

Whatever, it's a fun enough book to read to children at bed time. But it clearly shows some of the differences between child-rearing approaches back in the 1930s as opposed to those today. In olden times, adults were much more remote and stern, or so it would seem from the behavior of Mary Poppins and the adults in the family for whom she worked during the time the East wind blew her up to their front door, and before the West wind blew her away again. While some childrens' books are still fun for adults to read, e.g. Doctor Doolittle and Penrod, others not so much. Mary Poppins is nowhere near the league of those just mentioned eminences. Hell, it's not even up to the level of Polyanna, The Secret Garden, and Ann of Green Gables.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Very different from the movie, fun read, my preschooler and kindergartener enjoyed it ( )
  mandyalford | Mar 19, 2019 |
Mary Poppins is magical - and a very proper English lady to boot. Jane and Michael have the adventure of their lifetime with her. The writing is delightful and imaginative, the characters are fun - yet I can’t help thinking that it is just not nice to continually ignore children’s questions, and pretending what they have seen does not exist.

Sophie Thompson’s narration of the audiobook is lively and wonderful. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
Disappointing. I didn’t expect it to be as flashy as the movie, but it just wasn’t very compelling. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
I watched Disney's Mary Poppins many times as a child and knew all the songs. Recently I watched Saving Mr. Banks and decided that it was time I read P.L. Travers Mary Poppins. It was not what I expected. I guess I thought it would be closer to the movie and it wasn't. Mary was not all sugar and spice with the children but that makes her more human. Discipline with love is necessary when raising a child. I also see why the author was upset with the bank scene in the movie as it was not even in the book. I am actually going to read some others in the series. I really missed out on these classics as a child. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |

Thompson, SophieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
My Mother
1875-1928
If you want to find Cherry Tree Lane all you have to do is ask the Policeman at the cross-roads.
But Jane and Michael were not taken in by that snap. For they could see in Mary Poppins's eyes something that, if she were anybody else but Mary Poppins, might have been described as tears.... (p. 194)
Don't you know that everybody's got a Fairyland of their own?

The wind brings four English children a new nanny who slides up the bannister and introduces them to some delightful people and experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152058109, Hardcover)

From the moment Mary Poppins arrives at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane, everyday life at the Banks house is forever changed. This classic series tells the story of the world's most beloved nanny, who brings enchantment and excitement with her everywhere she goes. Featuring the charming original cover art by Mary Shepard, these new editions are sure to delight readers of all ages.

It all starts when Mary Poppins is blown by the east wind onto the doorstep of the Banks house. She becomes a most unusual nanny to Jane, Michael, and the twins. Who else but Mary Poppins can slide up banisters, pull an entire armchair out of an empty carpetbag, and make a dose of medicine taste like delicious lime-juice cordial? A day with Mary Poppins is a day of magic and make-believe come to life!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

An extraordinary English nanny blows in on the East Wind with her parrot-headed umbrella and magic carpetbag and introduces her charges, Jane and Michael, to some delightful people and experiences.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,757,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible