Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers

Mary Poppins (original 1934; edition 1964)

by P. L. Travers

Member:tardis
Title:Mary Poppins
Authors:P. L. Travers
Info:London : Collins, 1964 (reprinted 1965). hardcover
Tags:fantasy

Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers (1934)

English (72)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (76)
Enchanting. Mary Poppins is vain, stern, and odd - I do not like her. But she enables the children to have so much magic and joy, and since Travers writes with such grace, the book is very entertaining. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Formal
  apoffenroth13 | Apr 14, 2015 |
"Something strange and wonderful had happened at Number Seventeen, Cherry Tree Lane."

Mary Poppins arrives at No. 17 Cherry Tree Lane, the house of the Banks', from out of nowhere just as their old Nanny disappears with even less announcement. This is the first book in a series of six about Mary Poppins, and in this instance she concerns herself with the Banks' children, Jane and Michael, and the twins Barbara and John.

What follows after her arrival include days out that turn in to wonderful trips from fairytales and magical happenings that are only remembered in a dream-like trance.

Most of us will know Mary Poppins from the musical film, and that is where I first met the magical Nanny. I didn't even realise Mary Poppins had first been a novel until Victoria Coren Mitchell presented a programme about it before the Disney film Saving Mr Banks came out. I was never entranced by the film, however, but was content enough to hum the songs whenever the occasion arose.

Knowing it was first a book filled me with intrigued, as did the fact that P.L. Travers, author of Mary Poppins, did not like the film much. I found that quite brave and wanted to see why and I have to say that I fully understand why. The only part of the film that I can truly say is as beautiful as the book is the casting, acting and portrayal of Mary by Julie Andrews.

I feel it wrong to continuously compare the book to the film, since they are two different mediums completely, so here they shall part company. Travers manages to write a children's book that does not talk down to children at all, and those are the best kind. The words used are not simplified in to nonsense, nor are they prim and proper like any mother would wish their child to use. It is plain and simple and easy to read, but not so easy upon your imagination. Mary Poppins not only takes Jane and Michael on adventures but has adventures on her own, something which I found to be exceedingly charming especially considering her rather snobbish nature.

I considered giving Mary Poppins 4 stars, but found that I didn't want to, mostly because I haven't read the entire series and feel that I need to rate it as a whole, but also because it wasn't as magical as I was expecting it to be. It was quaint and charming, and I certainly enjoyed every minute of it, but I was not captivated quite as I'd like. Perhaps with more knowledge of this woman whom just blew in off the wind, but who knows?

Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I didn't read Mary Poppins as a child, so when I finally bought the series for my niece, I had to give them a quick read. I was surprised at how snide, selfish, and unlikable Mary is. I only knew the Disneytized version.

It was an interesting read. A bit gloomy at times, but for kid's literature, it was okay. ( )
  quillmenow | Apr 6, 2015 |
Mary Poppins becomes a nanny at the Banks to take care of their children coming out of the east wind. They go on wild adventures and with her magic she making things that are making believe become real. Mary Poppins made the childrens lives magically.
My personal reaction was you can believe in whatever you want to.
Classroom extension that may be good for this book are making of paper umbrellas. Another is going on adventure outside.
  b.duggins13 | Mar 25, 2015 |

P. L. Traversprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Poussard, ElnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shepard, MaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, SophieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Mother
1875-1928
If you want to find Cherry Tree Lane all you have to do is ask the policeman at the cross-roads.
But Jane and Michael were not taken in by that snap. For they could see in Mary Poppins's eyes something that, if she were anybody else but Mary Poppins, might have been described as tears.... (p. 194)
Don't you know that everybody's got a Fairyland of their own?

The wind brings four English children a new nanny who slides up the bannister and introduces them to some delightful people and experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152058109, Hardcover)

From the moment Mary Poppins arrives at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane, everyday life at the Banks house is forever changed. This classic series tells the story of the world's most beloved nanny, who brings enchantment and excitement with her everywhere she goes. Featuring the charming original cover art by Mary Shepard, these new editions are sure to delight readers of all ages.

It all starts when Mary Poppins is blown by the east wind onto the doorstep of the Banks house. She becomes a most unusual nanny to Jane, Michael, and the twins. Who else but Mary Poppins can slide up banisters, pull an entire armchair out of an empty carpetbag, and make a dose of medicine taste like delicious lime-juice cordial? A day with Mary Poppins is a day of magic and make-believe come to life!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:43 -0400)

An extraordinary English nanny blows in on the East Wind with her parrot-headed umbrella and magic carpetbag and introduces her charges, Jane and Michael, to some delightful people and experiences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,567,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible