Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers

Mary Poppins (original 1934; edition 1964)

by P. L. Travers

2,561None2,338 (3.94)94
Member:tardis
Title:Mary Poppins
Authors:P. L. Travers
Info:London : Collins, 1964 (reprinted 1965). hardcover
Tags:fantasy

Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers (1934)

1930s (16) adventure (15) British (27) British literature (18) chapter book (29) children (93) children's (183) children's books (40) children's fiction (41) children's literature (91) Children/YA (16) classic (80) classics (80) England (63) family (16) fantasy (198) fiction (287) juvenile (28) kids (18) literature (23) London (17) magic (60) Mary Poppins (43) nannies (64) novel (21) read (37) series (21) to-read (49) YA (17) young adult (17)

English (60)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (63)
I kept getting this one recommended to me, so I picked it up from the library. It's not great at all. Stick with the movie. The connection is tenuous at best, and features none of the wit, themes, or charm that made it great.

The plot has no cohesion. The chapters are more like vignettes. In fact, the very second chapter, the one after she's been employed and the scene is set, is her hanging out with Bert. No establishing scene of her with the kids. And to boot, Bert only has a one-shot appearance.

Occasionally, something magic happens, like Mary Poppins hears the babies talking (babies that are not in the movie), or they take a magic umbrella to various spots around the world (which was originally cut for being racist). But it's filled with stodgy Britishness, which makes the characters and the path they take unlikeable. ( )
  theWallflower | Mar 17, 2014 |
I was inspired by the recent film capturing Mrs. Travers developing story of Mary Poppins to read her original book. I grew up loving the Disney musical Mary Poppins, but there was a sweet tenderness from this story that I loved. I felt like I really grew to know the characters from the story in this book. The imfamous nanny with so much class inspire these children to have poise and dream. This would be a great authors study book in an upper elementary grade. ( )
  KelseyDavison | Mar 16, 2014 |
I quite enjoyed this, which surprised me, considering how disconcerting I found the movie when I was younger, and how rude and vain of a person Mary Poppins is here. But for me, this book reminded me of a slightly darker version of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle or Pippi Longstocking books--you know, books about a whimsical, magical-ish person (a large part of what my EL510 class and I talked about was defining, exactly, the parameters of the magic that existed in MARY POPPINS, or how much magic Mary Poppins really has), with each chapter relating a standalone adventure. However, in between the vanity and the slightly darker aspects--the clueless nonmagical adults, the insults, the propensity of shadows (arrrgh, I've been corrected by the VHS movie version!!)--there is poignant commentary about "magic" (define it as you will) and our acceptance of it in our lives. ( )
  stephxsu | Feb 17, 2014 |
better than I remembered. Very different from Disney. Fun to see Saving Mr Banks after reading this. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Recently saw movie "Saving Mr. Banks". Don't think I read these stories as a child. Also would like to see the movie. ( )
  Lissa28 | Feb 9, 2014 |

P. L. Traversprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Poussard, ElnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shepard, MaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Mother
1875-1928
If you want to find Cherry Tree Lane all you have to do is ask the policeman at the cross-roads.
But Jane and Michael were not taken in by that snap. For they could see in Mary Poppins's eyes something that, if she were anybody else but Mary Poppins, might have been described as tears.... (p. 194)
Don't you know that everybody's got a Fairyland of their own?

The wind brings four English children a new nanny who slides up the bannister and introduces them to some delightful people and experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152058109, Hardcover)

From the moment Mary Poppins arrives at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane, everyday life at the Banks house is forever changed. This classic series tells the story of the world's most beloved nanny, who brings enchantment and excitement with her everywhere she goes. Featuring the charming original cover art by Mary Shepard, these new editions are sure to delight readers of all ages.

It all starts when Mary Poppins is blown by the east wind onto the doorstep of the Banks house. She becomes a most unusual nanny to Jane, Michael, and the twins. Who else but Mary Poppins can slide up banisters, pull an entire armchair out of an empty carpetbag, and make a dose of medicine taste like delicious lime-juice cordial? A day with Mary Poppins is a day of magic and make-believe come to life!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:43 -0400)

An extraordinary English nanny blows in on the East Wind with her parrot-headed umbrella and magic carpetbag and introduces her charges, Jane and Michael, to some delightful people and experiences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible