Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers

Mary Poppins (original 1934; edition 1964)

by P. L. Travers

Member:tardis
Title:Mary Poppins
Authors:P. L. Travers
Info:London : Collins, 1964 (reprinted 1965). hardcover
Tags:fantasy

Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers (1934)

English (79)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (83)
I couldn't remember until about halfway through whether I'd already read this one or not (I didn't think to check Goodreads, but it turns out I had). Some of the stories I didn't remember at all, and the first several that I did remember were also in the movie, so that was no help. It wasn't until John and Barbara's chapter that I could tell for sure. I think theirs is my favorite story, even though it's also the saddest one.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I only recently discovered that the Disney version of Mary Poppins was based on this book series by P.L. Travers. I loved the Disney version & have watched it a million times, reading the book was just as delightful! I couldn't get enough of this story! All of the characters were lovable & Mary Poppins was awesome. Disney did a good job at sticking to the storyline so it seemed like a continuation of the film. However, towards the end of the book, the story strayed a bit and got weird. It lost a little bit of the magic during the last 3 or 4 chapters but overall, I loved the book and I love the magic of Mary Poppins! I think this is an awesome book to read to and share with children. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
I found it to difficult to read (i.e. I didn't want to) so I listened to it in the car to and from work. Kinda strange, didn't love it like the movie but I did enjoy it. Mary Poppins is no Julie Andrews.......
  MissItaly | Jan 28, 2016 |
Mary Poppins - so, like most people I am familiar with the 1964 Disney movie staring Julie Andrews. I have loved that film since I was little, but never read the original book the movie was based on, until now. The story is comprised of a series of magical or whimsical vignettes, connected loosely by the framework of Mary Poppins and the Banks children.

I had a hard time adjusting to the original Mary Poppins, as at first I found her quite terrible.She’s incredibly vain and snobbish. She’s always checking her clothes in every shop window they pass, to make she still looks perfect. She is stern and cold with the children. They like her because of the weird, magical things that happen when she’s around, but Mary Poppins herself rather frightens them. THEN I read a review that called her a faerie, a denizen of the Underworld/Otherworld and I sort of went “OH….OKAY.” If you read it in that light, it is much more enjoyable, and you can see her as this super powerful, alien being who is spending time with this human family…for some reason?

The stories in here, some are just cute children’s stories - like the snobby lady’s dog becomes friends with the scrappy stray dog. Some are like nursery rhymes, such as the dancing cow with the fallen star on her horn. Some are more surreal and dreamlike. The edition I read had a “revised” version of the chapter where they travel around the globe by magic compass. I’ve heard the original was quite racist, but I guess good for Travers for listening to criticism and rewriting it.

In the end, Mary Poppins is a very nice children’s story. The writing is nice and fluid, the vignettes charming. Personally, I’m not as taken with it as some other classic children’s fantasy tales, but if I ever have a child of my own it is one I could see reading to them. For right now however, I’m not personally interested in hunting down the rest of the series. ( )
  catfantastic | Dec 27, 2015 |

Shepard, MaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, SophieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Mother
1875-1928
If you want to find Cherry Tree Lane all you have to do is ask the policeman at the cross-roads.
But Jane and Michael were not taken in by that snap. For they could see in Mary Poppins's eyes something that, if she were anybody else but Mary Poppins, might have been described as tears.... (p. 194)
Don't you know that everybody's got a Fairyland of their own?

The wind brings four English children a new nanny who slides up the bannister and introduces them to some delightful people and experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152058109, Hardcover)

From the moment Mary Poppins arrives at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane, everyday life at the Banks house is forever changed. This classic series tells the story of the world's most beloved nanny, who brings enchantment and excitement with her everywhere she goes. Featuring the charming original cover art by Mary Shepard, these new editions are sure to delight readers of all ages.

It all starts when Mary Poppins is blown by the east wind onto the doorstep of the Banks house. She becomes a most unusual nanny to Jane, Michael, and the twins. Who else but Mary Poppins can slide up banisters, pull an entire armchair out of an empty carpetbag, and make a dose of medicine taste like delicious lime-juice cordial? A day with Mary Poppins is a day of magic and make-believe come to life!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

An extraordinary English nanny blows in on the East Wind with her parrot-headed umbrella and magic carpetbag and introduces her charges, Jane and Michael, to some delightful people and experiences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,147,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible