Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers

Mary Poppins (original 1934; edition 1964)

by P. L. Travers

Member:tardis
Title:Mary Poppins
Authors:P. L. Travers
Info:London : Collins, 1964 (reprinted 1965). hardcover
Tags:fantasy

Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers (1934)

English (77)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (81)
I watched Disney's Mary Poppins many times as a child and knew all the songs. Recently I watched Saving Mr. Banks and decided that it was time I read P.L. Travers Mary Poppins. It was not what I expected. I guess I thought it would be closer to the movie and it wasn't. Mary was not all sugar and spice with the children but that makes her more human. Discipline with love is necessary when raising a child. I also see why the author was upset with the bank scene in the movie as it was not even in the book. I am actually going to read some others in the series. I really missed out on these classics as a child. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 18, 2015 |
A fun read. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
A whimsical, wonderful read that is so imaginative and original, I barely recognized it from the Disney version - and for the better! There are so many differences, it hardly seems worth mentioning them! The fun part is that this reads like 12 separate tales, some told as stories and some that the characters themselves are involved in. There is a Red Cow, a zoo with people in the cages, a celestial star that goes Christmas shopping, and so much more! I particularly liked the idea that babies can understand all languages of all things, until their teeth come in! I'm glad I read this after all these years, and viewings, of the Disney version!

On a silly note, the following quote really appealed to my juvenile sense of humor: "Never again - they were sure of it - would they have the chance of stroking a Panda." I know, I'm lame... ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 21, 2015 |
Mary Poppins, the movie, is based on a series by P.L. Travers about a nanny. A nanny with extraordinary abilities. I've watched the movie Mary Poppins so many times, that I've lost count, but it wasn't until recently that I read the book. If you've only seen the movie, do yourself a favor and read the book. It's so different from the movie, it'll be a new experience.

I read this book with my kids while we listened to the audio as well. The book's narrated by Sophie Thompson. She reminded me a bit of what a younger Julie Andrews sounded like. If you have the opportunity, I think this is a great book to listen to with your family.

Like I said before, Mary Poppins is completely different from the movie. In the book version Mary Poppins seemed a bit more hard around the edges. She didn't have the softness that Julie Andrews brought to the character. Also, the kids in the books are much worse behaved. The story line is great, and the world that Travers created is incomparable. Mary Poppins is highly entertaining and it's no wonder that this series has stood the test of time.
My kids and I agree that we want to continue on with the series. This would be a great book to add to your summer reading list. Children and adults alike will find it entertaining.
Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2015/06/review-mary-poppins.html#S1zKKtCgiiKJAT... ( )
  mt256 | Jun 17, 2015 |
Like most children of my age, I grew up with Mary Poppins the movie. Recent interest (and intrigue) regarding the animosity between P.L. Travers and Walt Disney - most recently turned into a lurid movie starring Tom Hanks - spurred several dissections of book vs movie. My curiosity piqued, I added it to my wish list last night - and was pleasantly surprised by serendipity when on a display at a new bookstore, I spotted this gem sitting upright by the door.

My brother was driving, so I managed to read the entire book before we even made it home.

Despite what the drama between Travers and Disney would lead you to believe, the book did not strike me as too much different from the movie. There are more whimsical adventures - including two absolutely charming ones of a trip to the zoo at night and a star come down to do her Christmas shopping - and Mary is portrayed as slightly more vain, slightly more stern than kind, but overall, I felt it was fairly faithful. One chapter in particular, a relation of the (missing from the movie) twin babies, was bittersweet. The exchanges between Mary and the starling do more for her character than chapters of exposition ever could.

All in all, Mary Poppins is a delightful mystery - the nanny who enchants whether through book or screen, and - as always - practically perfect in every way. ( )
  kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |

P. L. Traversprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Poussard, ElnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shepard, MaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, SophieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Mother
1875-1928
If you want to find Cherry Tree Lane all you have to do is ask the policeman at the cross-roads.
But Jane and Michael were not taken in by that snap. For they could see in Mary Poppins's eyes something that, if she were anybody else but Mary Poppins, might have been described as tears.... (p. 194)
Don't you know that everybody's got a Fairyland of their own?

The wind brings four English children a new nanny who slides up the bannister and introduces them to some delightful people and experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152058109, Hardcover)

From the moment Mary Poppins arrives at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane, everyday life at the Banks house is forever changed. This classic series tells the story of the world's most beloved nanny, who brings enchantment and excitement with her everywhere she goes. Featuring the charming original cover art by Mary Shepard, these new editions are sure to delight readers of all ages.

It all starts when Mary Poppins is blown by the east wind onto the doorstep of the Banks house. She becomes a most unusual nanny to Jane, Michael, and the twins. Who else but Mary Poppins can slide up banisters, pull an entire armchair out of an empty carpetbag, and make a dose of medicine taste like delicious lime-juice cordial? A day with Mary Poppins is a day of magic and make-believe come to life!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

An extraordinary English nanny blows in on the East Wind with her parrot-headed umbrella and magic carpetbag and introduces her charges, Jane and Michael, to some delightful people and experiences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,019,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible