Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert…

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (1971)

by Robert C. O'Brien

Series: The Rats of NIMH (1)

5,35792819 (4.22)1 / 146

(5.8)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
It was a good book. It showed how important bravery is, even for a mouse. When her son is sick and can't move, Mrs. Frisby does'nt give up. Timothy Frisby (her son) has two chioces: stay in his bed and get ran over by the farmer's plow or go out of their house and have his pneumonia get worse and kill him. Mrs. Frisby even asks an owl for advice. This is a very good story; full of action and suspense and I think anyone would like it. ( )
  mbabecka | Oct 14, 2014 |
A well developed children's book that I read as an adult but still loved. A book about mice and a secret order of mice. This book is not Watership Down, but it is definitely worth a read. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
This book. What to say? As a child, I watched the movie - part of it, anyway - at a slumber part. It scared the *$&% out of me. I refused to have anything to do with it again. But then, I grew up and started my quest to read all the Newbery books and realized - I was going to have to read this one. So I did. This book is NOTHING like the movie. And I'm glad. This book is superb. Each character is so distinct, the story riveting. I almost cried when - well, I won't spoil it for you. But this story is one that will stick with me for a long while. I highly recommend. ( )
  empress8411 | Sep 7, 2014 |
Still a great story. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

Robert C. O'Brienprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, ZenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gazi, Edward S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To Catherine Fitzpatrick
Mrs. Frisby, the head of a family of field mice, lived in an underground house in the vegetable garden of a farmer named Mr. Fitzgibbon.
It was this, of course, that made our life so easy that it seemed pointless. We did not have enough work to do because a thief's life is always based on somebody else's work.
The Secret of Nimh (Original title: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH)
First Edition, 1971.

AR 5.1, Pts 8.0

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689710682, Paperback)

There's something very strange about the rats living under the rosebush at the Fitzgibbon farm. But Mrs. Frisby, a widowed mouse with a sick child, is in dire straits and must turn to these exceptional creatures for assistance. Soon she finds herself flying on the back of a crow, slipping sleeping powder into a ferocious cat's dinner dish, and helping 108 brilliant, laboratory-enhanced rats escape to a utopian civilization of their own design, no longer to live "on the edge of somebody else's, like fleas on a dog's back."

This unusual novel, winner of the Newbery Medal (among a host of other accolades) snags the reader on page one and reels in steadily all the way through to the exhilarating conclusion. Robert O'Brien has created a small but complete world in which a mother's concern for her son overpowers her fear of all her natural enemies and allows her to make some extraordinary discoveries along the way. O'Brien's incredible tale, along with Zena Bernstein's appealing ink drawings, ensures that readers will never again look at alley rats and field mice in the same way. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:58 -0400)

Having no one to help her with her problems, a widowed mouse visits the rats whose former imprisonment in a laboratory made them wise and long lived.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible