Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert…

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (1971)

by Robert C. O'Brien

Series: The Rats of NIMH (1)

5,929108705 (4.2)1 / 164

This book is about a mouse family, the Frisbys, that lives in a garden. Five days before Moving Day, Timothy falls sick with pneumonia. What will Ms. Frisby do? I liked this book because when the problem starts, you want to know how it gets resolved. I specifically liked the story of the rats of NIMH and how they escaped. ( )
  eli.P. | Apr 19, 2016 |
This book could be used as a read aloud for older students (4th/5th grade). They could make predictions and inferences about the characters along the way. This book could also be used as an introduction to animal testing for a science class. students could do further research on animal testing, and then write a persuasive paper on whether or not it should be legal.
  TaylorWebb | Feb 20, 2016 |
Mrs. Frisby is a widowed mouse living in the garden with her four children. It's a great winter home, but then Timothy gets sick and as spring moving day approaches and the farmer prepares to plow the field, she's willing to do anything to save her son.

A cute enough story, but I'm afraid I could never quite get over the fact that I was reading about a mouse (they give me the shivers...). The story starts off a little slow - the eponymous rats don't make an appearance for awhile, though when they do things rather pick up - and that feeling may have been in part because I started listening to this as an audio, which is much slower for me than reading. The rats' story is, I think, more interesting than Mrs. Frisby's! I also may have liked it better if I read it when I was younger, much the same feeling I had with The Wind in the Willows and The Tale of Desperaux. Though it fell a little flat for me, it's one that I'd certainly recommend to the right reader, someone who enjoyed the two titles I already mentioned or The Borrowers. ( )
  bell7 | Jan 27, 2016 |
This book is full of sexist characters and plot points but still hooked me. ( )
  amlohf | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is the story of Mrs. Frisby, who is a mouse, and her need for help with the moving of her home (a cinder block in the middle of the farmer's garden) while her young son is sick. She is a widowed mother of four young children, and as she enlists the help of a crow and an owl, she also befriends a group of rats who, unbeknownst to her, owe a debt of gratitude to her belated husband and are glad to help her. In the process, she is able to help them when she finds out information about rat exterminators coming so that they are able to escape. Of course, there is a lot more to the story since these rats have an interesting history -- I don't want to give anything away, because it's pretty interesting (does it seem like I'm a little too excited about a children's book?!)!!
This was such a good book! It is a children's book, but it was really good -- well-written, exciting, entertaining, and I would highly recommend it for elementary children (I think boys would especially like it!). But, as an adult, I appreciated it also! ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |

Robert C. O'Brienprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, ZenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gazi, Edward S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Catherine Fitzpatrick
Mrs. Frisby, the head of a family of field mice, lived in an underground house in the vegetable garden of a farmer named Mr. Fitzgibbon.
It was this, of course, that made our life so easy that it seemed pointless. We did not have enough work to do because a thief's life is always based on somebody else's work.
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, also published as: The Secret of Nimh

AR 5.1, Pts 8.0

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689710682, Paperback)

There's something very strange about the rats living under the rosebush at the Fitzgibbon farm. But Mrs. Frisby, a widowed mouse with a sick child, is in dire straits and must turn to these exceptional creatures for assistance. Soon she finds herself flying on the back of a crow, slipping sleeping powder into a ferocious cat's dinner dish, and helping 108 brilliant, laboratory-enhanced rats escape to a utopian civilization of their own design, no longer to live "on the edge of somebody else's, like fleas on a dog's back."

This unusual novel, winner of the Newbery Medal (among a host of other accolades) snags the reader on page one and reels in steadily all the way through to the exhilarating conclusion. Robert O'Brien has created a small but complete world in which a mother's concern for her son overpowers her fear of all her natural enemies and allows her to make some extraordinary discoveries along the way. O'Brien's incredible tale, along with Zena Bernstein's appealing ink drawings, ensures that readers will never again look at alley rats and field mice in the same way. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:14 -0400)

Having no one to help her with her problems, a widowed mouse visits the rats whose former imprisonment in a laboratory made them wise and long lived.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,361,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible