Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert…

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (1971)

by Robert C. O'Brien

Series: The Rats of NIMH (1)

6,120111669 (4.19)1 / 165

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about...found this rather dull. This was on a list of "must reads" but I can think of many other books that are more deserving. Also, it was billed as a good read for 11 yr olds and it seems like it would be more appropriate for kids closer to seven or so. I made myself finish but couldn't recommend it. ( )
  ingrid98684 | Sep 12, 2016 |
A friend of mine gave me this story when I was quite little and said it was her favourite story as a child.

I read it and really enjoyed it, even though I was a little bit old for it. It has somewhat of a C.S. Lewis feel to it. It's quite accessible and Mrs. Frisby is a great character. A single mother, with four kids, just trying to make her way through life and do the best for her tiny babies. c:

I think this is a really good adventure story, even though I was a little bit older, I found it really engrossing and very readable. The writing is a really good pace and I thought it was a really well-balanced work.

I would recommend this classic to anyone who's interested, particularly children or young people. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Every bit as good as I remember from childhood! ( )
  dcoward | Aug 15, 2016 |
This book is about a mouse family, the Frisbys, that lives in a garden. Five days before Moving Day, Timothy falls sick with pneumonia. What will Ms. Frisby do? I liked this book because when the problem starts, you want to know how it gets resolved. I specifically liked the story of the rats of NIMH and how they escaped. ( )
  eli.P. | Apr 19, 2016 |
This book could be used as a read aloud for older students (4th/5th grade). They could make predictions and inferences about the characters along the way. This book could also be used as an introduction to animal testing for a science class. students could do further research on animal testing, and then write a persuasive paper on whether or not it should be legal.
  TaylorWebb | Feb 20, 2016 |

Robert C. O'Brienprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, ZenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gazi, Edward S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Catherine Fitzpatrick
Mrs. Frisby, the head of a family of field mice, lived in an underground house in the vegetable garden of a farmer named Mr. Fitzgibbon.
It was this, of course, that made our life so easy that it seemed pointless. We did not have enough work to do because a thief's life is always based on somebody else's work.
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, also published as: The Secret of NIMH. Do not combine with the film The Secret of NIMH.

AR 5.1, Pts 8.0

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689710682, Paperback)

There's something very strange about the rats living under the rosebush at the Fitzgibbon farm. But Mrs. Frisby, a widowed mouse with a sick child, is in dire straits and must turn to these exceptional creatures for assistance. Soon she finds herself flying on the back of a crow, slipping sleeping powder into a ferocious cat's dinner dish, and helping 108 brilliant, laboratory-enhanced rats escape to a utopian civilization of their own design, no longer to live "on the edge of somebody else's, like fleas on a dog's back."

This unusual novel, winner of the Newbery Medal (among a host of other accolades) snags the reader on page one and reels in steadily all the way through to the exhilarating conclusion. Robert O'Brien has created a small but complete world in which a mother's concern for her son overpowers her fear of all her natural enemies and allows her to make some extraordinary discoveries along the way. O'Brien's incredible tale, along with Zena Bernstein's appealing ink drawings, ensures that readers will never again look at alley rats and field mice in the same way. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:14 -0400)

Having no one to help her with her problems, a widowed mouse visits the rats whose former imprisonment in a laboratory made them wise and long lived.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,257,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible