Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert…

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (1971)

by Robert C. O'Brien

Series: The Rats of NIMH (1)

5,39494807 (4.22)1 / 149

I will start this review by happily claiming to have pet rats of my own, so this book was right up my alley and I will be a little biased in that regard. I love a book that portrays rats as intelligent, clean, loving beings who are capable of much more than the typical rat story allows them to be. Yes, these were specially experimented on to become this way, but the positive light in which they show themselves and in which the author regards even wild rats is such a wonderful thing to me that I smiled so much of the way through.

As far as this being a book for those who love fiction or adventure, it has all of the above and more, including a strong female lead. The story is full of small challenges that Mrs. Frisby must overcome, places that she must venture to, situations that she must help with, all in order to help her own family. As an adult I find it hard to put the book down once I have started it and I am certain that younger readers will feel that way too.

I love the characters and the settings and reading this book you so easily feel as if you are living within the story. I would not be surprised if a young reader started looking for the characters out in the real world, they are so well thought through. It is not a surprise at all that the book won the Newbery Medal. ( )
  mirrani | Nov 13, 2014 |
Substance: A family of mice, led by the Widow Frisby (name changed in the movie), gets help from a group of intelligence-augmented rats and another mouse, with sundry other wood-land characters.
Read before; thought it was very good. Holds an adult's attention as well as children's. ( )
  librisissimo | Oct 28, 2014 |
(5.8)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
It was a good book. It showed how important bravery is, even for a mouse. When her son is sick and can't move, Mrs. Frisby does'nt give up. Timothy Frisby (her son) has two chioces: stay in his bed and get ran over by the farmer's plow or go out of their house and have his pneumonia get worse and kill him. Mrs. Frisby even asks an owl for advice. This is a very good story; full of action and suspense and I think anyone would like it. ( )
  mbabecka | Oct 14, 2014 |
A well developed children's book that I read as an adult but still loved. A book about mice and a secret order of mice. This book is not Watership Down, but it is definitely worth a read. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |

Robert C. O'Brienprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, ZenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gazi, Edward S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To Catherine Fitzpatrick
Mrs. Frisby, the head of a family of field mice, lived in an underground house in the vegetable garden of a farmer named Mr. Fitzgibbon.
It was this, of course, that made our life so easy that it seemed pointless. We did not have enough work to do because a thief's life is always based on somebody else's work.
The Secret of Nimh (Original title: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH)
First Edition, 1971.

AR 5.1, Pts 8.0

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689710682, Paperback)

There's something very strange about the rats living under the rosebush at the Fitzgibbon farm. But Mrs. Frisby, a widowed mouse with a sick child, is in dire straits and must turn to these exceptional creatures for assistance. Soon she finds herself flying on the back of a crow, slipping sleeping powder into a ferocious cat's dinner dish, and helping 108 brilliant, laboratory-enhanced rats escape to a utopian civilization of their own design, no longer to live "on the edge of somebody else's, like fleas on a dog's back."

This unusual novel, winner of the Newbery Medal (among a host of other accolades) snags the reader on page one and reels in steadily all the way through to the exhilarating conclusion. Robert O'Brien has created a small but complete world in which a mother's concern for her son overpowers her fear of all her natural enemies and allows her to make some extraordinary discoveries along the way. O'Brien's incredible tale, along with Zena Bernstein's appealing ink drawings, ensures that readers will never again look at alley rats and field mice in the same way. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:58 -0400)

Having no one to help her with her problems, a widowed mouse visits the rats whose former imprisonment in a laboratory made them wise and long lived.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible