Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert…

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Robert C. O'Brien, Edward S. Gazi (Illustrator), Zena Bernstein (Illustrator)

5,618101762 (4.21)1 / 154
Member:Katrinia17
Title:Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Authors:Robert C. O'Brien
Other authors:Edward S. Gazi (Illustrator), Zena Bernstein (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (1971), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:*****

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (1971)

Recently added byrushingb, AdorablyBookish, Ssaem, private library, RenateM5, 826NYC, slipd

Unable to concentrate on adult books, I decided to delve into the world of Newberry winners. I don't remember reading this book as a child, but I loved it as an adult. I was in the mood for a well told story, and this book hit the spot. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
When Mrs. Frisby's son Timothy falls ill with pneumonia and the mouse family has to move out of the garden before the spring planting, risking Timothy's life, she discovers a colony of intelligent rats living on the farm who agree to help move her house.

I absolutely must have read this as a child--I can't imagine missing it--but I didn't remember it. I recently read it aloud to my 7-year-old son. Very well written, this classic still holds up. It starts out slow but gradually draws you in. The story of how the rats of NIMH were experimented upon and then escaped from the research lab is fascinating. It's the kind of old-fashioned story that hearkens back to the classic books I remember from my childhood. This seems to cry out for a sequel: Timothy goes to find the rats in their new home.

Read aloud in 2015. ( )
  sturlington | Aug 3, 2015 |
Summary- A field mouse discovers she must move her home from a rosebush but one of her children is sick and moving him is dangerous. She consults with rats who live in a rosebush and discovers that they are special rats with exceptional skills. She also learns information about her deceased husband.

Personal Reaction- One of the my favorite books from my childhood. As a child I was fascinated by the rats superior intelligence. Today, as an adult I am more impressed with the mother mouse's bravery.

Extensions-Discuss ethics and science. Discuss Bravery. Discuss how we make decisions.
  SuzieB1972 | Jul 22, 2015 |
Excellent, small book, by a talented author. Dramatic in an understated way. There is no simple dichotomy of good vs. evil. Justin is so adorably debonair. ( )
  themulhern | May 13, 2015 |
I remember reading this book at school and so when I needed a book to fulfil the challenge of "a book from my childhood" I thought this seemed a perfect choice. I didn't remember anything about the story so approached it anew and I loved it. Mrs Frisby is a widowed mouse who has four children to care for. When the weather is about to change and she needs to move house with a sick child who shouldn't be moved, she turns for help to the rats that she sees going into the rosebush near where she lives. The rats have a very interesting tale to tell her about their life and also about her late husband, Jonathan.

This is a superb book that is timeless and I really loved it. There aren't many children's' books that I enjoy as an adult but this is definitely one of them. I raced through it and would recommend it to kids and adults alike. ( )
  nicx27 | May 3, 2015 |

Robert C. O'Brienprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, ZenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gazi, Edward S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Catherine Fitzpatrick
Mrs. Frisby, the head of a family of field mice, lived in an underground house in the vegetable garden of a farmer named Mr. Fitzgibbon.
It was this, of course, that made our life so easy that it seemed pointless. We did not have enough work to do because a thief's life is always based on somebody else's work.
The Secret of Nimh (Original title: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH)
First Edition, 1971.

AR 5.1, Pts 8.0

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689710682, Paperback)

There's something very strange about the rats living under the rosebush at the Fitzgibbon farm. But Mrs. Frisby, a widowed mouse with a sick child, is in dire straits and must turn to these exceptional creatures for assistance. Soon she finds herself flying on the back of a crow, slipping sleeping powder into a ferocious cat's dinner dish, and helping 108 brilliant, laboratory-enhanced rats escape to a utopian civilization of their own design, no longer to live "on the edge of somebody else's, like fleas on a dog's back."

This unusual novel, winner of the Newbery Medal (among a host of other accolades) snags the reader on page one and reels in steadily all the way through to the exhilarating conclusion. Robert O'Brien has created a small but complete world in which a mother's concern for her son overpowers her fear of all her natural enemies and allows her to make some extraordinary discoveries along the way. O'Brien's incredible tale, along with Zena Bernstein's appealing ink drawings, ensures that readers will never again look at alley rats and field mice in the same way. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:14 -0400)

Having no one to help her with her problems, a widowed mouse visits the rats whose former imprisonment in a laboratory made them wise and long lived.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,151,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible