Exit Music by Ian Rankin

Exit Music (2007)

by Ian Rankin

English (52)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (56)
Rankin has all the elements: old, heavy drinking, renegade cop hero; trusty sidekick, new faces in the force pushing him out; ex-wife that you never see; vain, politically-minded boss; back-stage manipulations by the rich who usually get away. Rankin carries these off as well as anyone. After 17 tries with his detective Rebus he should be able to. ( )
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
A great ending to a great series. I know Rebus gets hauled out again later, but the comment still stands. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
Synopsis: John Rebus is retiring, but he's got to solve just one more case. In this instance a Russian dissident poet is murdered; Siobhan and Rebus must get to the bottom of the case before the retirement. They both think Cafferty is involved, but they can't prove anything - yet.
Review: I hate to see Rebus go! Particularly before he gets Cafferty for some crime. ( )
  DrLed | Dec 3, 2017 |
Not the worst book I've read. Not even the worst police-procedural book I've read. But did not make me want to read any more of Rankin's Inspector Rebus books.

That's basically the nicest thing I can say about it. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
I have not read the Rebus series in order so I suspect that people who have would like this one even more than I did. An excellent police procedural (though with not a lot of procedure as Rebus isn't a rule-following kind of guy!) and I love the way Rebus (& Rankin) describes Edinburgh. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 27, 2017 |
"The frontier is never
somewhere else. And no stockades
can keep the midnight out"
Norman McCaig, 'Hotel Room, 12th floor'
My father always said a policeman's knock is unmistakable, and so it is, the rap on the paintwork a very public command, feasting on the hearer's capacity for guilt.
Andrew O'Hagan, Be Near Me
The girl screamed once, only the once, but it was enough.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

It's late in the fall in Edinburgh and late in the career of Detective Inspector John Rebus. As he is simply trying to tie up some loose ends before his retirement, a new case lands on his desk: a dissident Russian poet has been murdered in what looks like a mugging gone wrong. Rebus discovers that an elite delegation of Russian businessmen is in town, looking to expand its interests. And as Rebus's investigation gains ground, someone brutally assaults a local gangster with whom he has a long history. Has Rebus overstepped his bounds for the last time? Only a few days shy of the end to his long, controversial career, will Rebus even make it that far?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,843,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible