Exit Music by Ian Rankin

Exit Music (original 2007; edition 2010)

by Ian Rankin

Member:Zelda43
Title:Exit Music
Authors:Ian Rankin
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***

Exit Music by Ian Rankin (2007)

English (47)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
This book is the one. This is the one where we see Rebus leaving the police force. The book covers the last ten days of Rebus and his life as a police officer. Does he leave in a quiet, laid-back manner? Not Rebus. He is actually working on two cases in these last days. One is a Russian poet who is found beaten to death in a dark alley, and the other is a British sound tech who is burned in his home. Are they murders, and are they connected? Rebus and Siobhan try to figure it out. The investigation takes them into the murky world of diplomatic and domestic politics. It even brings them back into Big Ger Mcafferty's orbit. That's never good news for Rebus. He and Big Ger have a long and very tumultous history, and Rebus's biggest regret is that he didn't manage to have the gangster placed behind bars for good during his police career. Rebus is his usual "bull in a china shop" self in this book. His doggedness and his constant search for truth land him in trouble with the big wigs both in and out of the police force. I actually delayed reading this book becasue I just didn't want to come to the end of this wonderful series. As it turns out, this book isn't the end of Rebus (thank you Ian Rankin), just his time on the Edinburgh police force. That in itself is a little sad though because I have grown to love this character, and I don't think his retirement is going to be an easy one. There are too many demons at war inside this man. I was happy to see his protege seems to have come into her own and her policing methods are almost the same as her mentor's, but she's more analytical and doesn't seem to have the inner demons that her boss has. Siobhan will do well in her rise up in the force. I think she is Rebus' biggest achievement, and I think that he thinks so too. I am looking forward to post-retirement Rebus. I'm sure there will be lots of delights in store yet with this wonderful character. ( )
  Romonko | Aug 23, 2016 |
very slow to start, characters not very likeable ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Feb 7, 2016 |
Compelling final book in the Rebus series.
Rebus is winding up his final days as a cop and determined to get his arch nemesis, Cafferty, before he retires.
As usual, he gets on the outs with authority.
Great ending. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
So long Rebus, it was a wonderful journey. The last book doesn't disappoint in any way. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
Like candy. In this novel Rebus retires. But Rankin has a new Edinburgh detective. And in an interview on NPR this morning with Rankin, I learned that Rebus might return. I'll try the young guy in the meantime I'm sure. (Audiobook of course so I can enjoy the accent in the read.) ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
"The frontier is never
somewhere else. And no stockades
can keep the midnight out"
Norman McCaig, 'Hotel Room, 12th floor'
My father always said a policeman's knock is unmistakable, and so it is, the rap on the paintwork a very public command, feasting on the hearer's capacity for guilt.
Andrew O'Hagan, Be Near Me
The girl screamed once, only the once, but it was enough.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

It's late in the fall in Edinburgh and late in the career of Detective Inspector John Rebus. As he is simply trying to tie up some loose ends before his retirement, a new case lands on his desk: a dissident Russian poet has been murdered in what looks like a mugging gone wrong. Rebus discovers that an elite delegation of Russian businessmen is in town, looking to expand its interests. And as Rebus's investigation gains ground, someone brutally assaults a local gangster with whom he has a long history. Has Rebus overstepped his bounds for the last time? Only a few days shy of the end to his long, controversial career, will Rebus even make it that far?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,277,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible