Sideways Stories from Wayside School by…

Sideways Stories from Wayside School (original 1978; edition 2004)

by Louis Sachar (Author)

Member:Luna_Kai
Title:Sideways Stories from Wayside School
Authors:Louis Sachar (Author)
Info:Harpercollins (2004), 128 pages

Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar (1978)

The Classroom at the End of the Hall by Douglas Evans (infiniteletters)
    Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School by Louis Sachar (Anonymous user)
    Skipping Stones at the Center of the Earth by Andy Hueller (LAKobow)
    Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde (changsbooks)
    changsbooks: If you loved the Wayside School series as a kid, it's time to graduate to Jasper Fforde's own brand of absurdism.

English (79)  Spanish (1)  All languages (80)
The first book in a hilarious trilogy about a 30-story school that was mistakenly built with one classroom on top of another. Wayside school has some of the craziest classes you will ever visit!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Sep 25, 2018 |
These wacky absurd stories which may seem irreverent and sometimes mean-spirited to adults really seem to resonate with children. These stories were immediately attention grabbing for my kids and left them begging for more. The humor makes sense to the kids and they enjoyed the absolute absurdity and upside-down-ness of this school and it’s rules.

Wayside school was accidentally built 30 stories high and is leaning. Each chapter tells the reader about one student in the 30th story classroom. Their old teacher, Mrs. Gorf, used to turn the children into apples, but she got turned into an apple herself and now they have a new teacher, Mrs. Jewls. Mrs. Jewl whispers to one of the students that “children are really smarter than their teachers,” a fact that was already known to the students. One student can only read upside down and is told he must learn to stand on his head. Another student arranges to sell her “useless” toes to the yard teacher, however, when she is not getting the full price she originally bargained for, the deal is off. When the children laugh, the walls laugh with them and turn purple.

The author, Louis Sachar, has written himself into this book as the yard teacher whom the children see at recess. He features in nearly every chapter, and takes part in the absurdity of the Wayside School practices. This was a fun easy read that was very engaging for my children. The best part of the book, is that within each wacky weird story is a real nugget of truth, something both adults and kids can very much connect with.

For discussion questions, please see: http://www.book-chatter.com/?p=3057. ( )
  marieatbookchatter | Apr 20, 2018 |
I never read this one when I was little (I did read and like Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School), and maybe I would have liked this better if I did. It is very, very dated, and the chapter illustrations just killed it. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 25, 2018 |
Sideways stories from Wayside School, is a classic book that many middle school grades know and love. Written by Louis Sachar, it is a fantasy based fiction, that has short stories built into chapters; this book is also part of a series. This book is full of humor that is based around a silly kind of school making it relatable to an extent for older children. I would recommend this book for any classroom or child to read. ( )
  Kailynevans | Nov 14, 2017 |
Super cute :-) Just like a remember from reading it as a kid.
I'm fairly certain this is the first "chapter" book I ever read as a child that clicked with me ... That I found humorous and truly enjoyed ... where I understood the characters, etc. Such a treat to reread it now as an adult :-)

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jul 25, 2017 |

Louis Sacharprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brinckloe, JulieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Robert J. Sachar
and to my mother, Andy, and Jeff.
This book contains thirty stories about the children and teachers at Wayside School.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380731487, Paperback)

The Wayside School was supposed to be one story high, with 30 classrooms side by side; instead, it was built sideways, with 30 one-classroom stories. As befits such a strange school, these tales are a bit strange too. In one, Jason is stuck to his seat by a large wad of chewing gum. His teacher tries throwing ice water on him (to chill the gum to brittleness) and turning him upside down. She even contemplates cutting his pants off. Finally, though, he falls from his upside-down position when kissed (ugh!) by one of the girls in the class. Other tales include a bit of a moral, such as the story of Kathy, whose assumption that no one will ever like her is proved right, or the story of Bebe, who draws quickly but without artistic merit. The quirky humor in this book is appealing to children, and it makes a good read-aloud book for the younger set. (Ages 5 to 12) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

Humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, which was accidentally built sideways with one classroom on each story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,561,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible