Swan Song by Robert McCammon

Swan Song

by Robert McCammon

2,435923,855 (4.19)2 / 128
Recently added byFloyd3345, MyssPrynt, p_r_a_x_i_s, Ndkchk, birdsonwire, erinclark, private library, TigerBeast79, LMMac
    The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another post apocalyptic horror novel that is often compared to this one.
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Another post-apocalyptic book with fantasy elements woven in.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (infiniteletters, Scottneumann, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (sturlington)
    The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending
    Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic tale of survival with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (Phantasma)

English (88)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (90)
I didn't want to like this book. It was written in the eighties and reminded me of the cliches that existed at the time. The world was going to end in nuclear disaster and the general population wouldn't even be aware of the difficulties that existed. Men were the destroyers of the world and women were the creators. It combined religion and The Wasteland which is a bit overdone in literature. The evil friend was obviously the devil and death. I'm not sure I think of death as evil personified.Radiation sickness is an accumulative disease and so are the after effects. It seemed as if most of those that were left alive were not the brightest but instead just wandered looking for something better, what happened to the engineers and the organizers? There was stereotypical evil and the reluctant heroine. For all of these reasons I didn't want to like Swan Song, but I do like it. The characters showed much of true humanity. Despite extraordinary circumstances, people were still people. They gave speeches that made you want to route for them. Their philosophies were simple, just one more day, just one more step. I think that we all want to believe that the thing that can't be killed is hope. I felt a little deceived by the numbers of good versus evil. Humanity wants to cheer for the underdog but I feel that more people should have been on the good side. I know this seems overthought out, but it is because when I thought about it I thought of all of the things wrong, but I would then bury my head back in the book and enjoy getting lost in the story. ( )
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
This book is like a stew. A cup of [b:The Grapes of Wrath|18114322|The Grapes of Wrath|John Steinbeck|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1375670575s/18114322.jpg|2931549], a heaping tablespoon of of [b:Mad Max: Fury Road|25573579|Mad Max Fury Road|George Miller|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1448046843s/25573579.jpg|45374401], a cup of [b:The Road|6288|The Road|Cormac McCarthy|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1439197219s/6288.jpg|3355573] , whisked with a 2 cups of character tropes from [b:The Stand|149267|The Stand|Stephen King|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1213131305s/149267.jpg|1742269] cooked in a hot oven for 900 pages. Sprinkle with a sparkly sense of nostalgia for older readers. You can tell it was written in the '80s (One of the characters is *wowed* by using 128kb on a computer.) and the characters are true.

It's a whirlwind of a book and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Really fun stuff. Amen and shit. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Appears to me to be a total Rip off of Stephen Kings - "The Stand" - and definitely NOT as good - Read the ORIGINAL - before you give any stars to this crap ( )
  booklovers2 | Feb 22, 2019 |
Nothing less than the best book I have ever read. That's all. ( )
  Zaccer | Jan 2, 2019 |

Robert McCammonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sally, whose inside face is as beautiful as the one outside. We survived the comet!
Once upon a time we had a love affair with fire, the president of the United States thought as the match that he'd just struck to light his pipe flared beneath his fingers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671741039, Mass Market Paperback)

Swan Song is rich with such characters as an ex-wrestler named Black Frankenstein, a New York City bag lady who feels power coursing from a weird glass ring, a boy who claws his way out of a destroyed survivalist compound. They gather their followers and travel toward each other, all bent on saving a blonde girl named Swan from the Man of Many Faces. Swan Song is often compared to Stephen King's The Stand, and for the most part, readers who enjoy one of the two novels, will enjoy the other. Like The Stand, it's an end-of-the-world novel, with epic sweep, apocalyptic drama, and a cast of vividly realized characters. But the tone is somewhat different: The good is sweeter, the evil is more sadistic, and the setting is harsher, because it's the world after a nuclear holocaust. Swan Song won a 1988 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel. It's a monster of a horror book, brimming over with stories and violence and terrific imagery--God and the Devil, the whole works.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:06 -0400)

"An ancient evil roams the blasted, nightmare country, an evil as old as time. He is the Man with the Scarlet Eye, the Man of Many Faces, gathering under his power the forces of human greed and madness. He is seeking to destroy a child, the one called Swan."--Cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible