Swan Song by Robert McCammon

Swan Song (original 1987; edition 2009)

by Robert McCammon

2,425873,784 (4.2)2 / 126
Member:Sawney_Hatton
Title:Swan Song
Authors:Robert McCammon
Info:Gallery Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 864 pages

Swan Song by Robert McCammon (1987)

Recently added byLysanderMSND, private library, CWatkinsNash, rena75, tantie77, obsessedbybooks, BigSki, OakNuggins
    The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another post apocalyptic horror novel that is often compared to this one.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (infiniteletters, Scottneumann, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Another post-apocalyptic book with fantasy elements woven in.
    Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending
    Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic tale of survival with supernatural elements of good v evil
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (Phantasma)
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil

English (85)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (87)
  Zaccer | Jan 2, 2019 |
This book gave a good description of the humanity, good or evil, after the all out nuclear war that renders the earth an wasteland. The characters were well depicted with a bit of mytical power that bring hope to the humanity in the post-apocalyptic era. I do have problem with some of the details in the book. There was a seven years gap that seems randomly choosen by the author, and I am also not sure if the fuel reserve and ammunition can really last that long without careful planning and rationing beforehand. I expected people will reverse back to pretty primitive stage of life after the war. Despite these points, overall, the book is a good read albeit a bit on the long side. ( )
  Baochuan | Oct 16, 2018 |
I'm sure a lot of people will disagree but I found this to be your basic potboiler--a crapload of different characters centered around a big event (nuclear war), with a stiff dose of supernatural nonsense that to my mind only detracts from the visceral events taking place. It's the end of the world by fire, do we really need magic gems and devil figures? At lease it isn't a trilogy. ( )
1 vote unclebob53703 | Sep 1, 2018 |

Robert McCammonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sally, whose inside face is as beautiful as the one outside. We survived the comet!
Once upon a time we had a love affair with fire, the president of the United States thought as the match that he'd just struck to light his pipe flared beneath his fingers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671741039, Mass Market Paperback)

Swan Song is rich with such characters as an ex-wrestler named Black Frankenstein, a New York City bag lady who feels power coursing from a weird glass ring, a boy who claws his way out of a destroyed survivalist compound. They gather their followers and travel toward each other, all bent on saving a blonde girl named Swan from the Man of Many Faces. Swan Song is often compared to Stephen King's The Stand, and for the most part, readers who enjoy one of the two novels, will enjoy the other. Like The Stand, it's an end-of-the-world novel, with epic sweep, apocalyptic drama, and a cast of vividly realized characters. But the tone is somewhat different: The good is sweeter, the evil is more sadistic, and the setting is harsher, because it's the world after a nuclear holocaust. Swan Song won a 1988 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel. It's a monster of a horror book, brimming over with stories and violence and terrific imagery--God and the Devil, the whole works.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:06 -0400)

"An ancient evil roams the blasted, nightmare country, an evil as old as time. He is the Man with the Scarlet Eye, the Man of Many Faces, gathering under his power the forces of human greed and madness. He is seeking to destroy a child, the one called Swan."--Cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,687,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible