Swan Song by Robert McCammon

Swan Song (original 1987; edition 2009)

by Robert McCammon

Info:Gallery Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 864 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:fiction, audio, post-apocalyptic, read in 2012

Swan Song by Robert McCammon (1987)

Recently added byperusal, LitaVore, private library, calm, Keelz09, amuskopf, aharey, ouroborosangel, samedarkclouds
    The Stand by Stephen King (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another post apocalyptic horror novel that is often compared to this one.
    The Stand by Stephen King (infiniteletters, Scottneumann, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Another post-apocalyptic book with fantasy elements woven in.
    The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy (sturlington)
    The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending
    Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (Phantasma)
    Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic tale of survival with supernatural elements of good v evil
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (76)  German (1)  French (1)  All (78)
In many many many ways, this reminded me of Stephen King's The Stand. There are differences, but it is very similar. Nuclear war and the survivors are left to fend for themselves. A little girl named Swan has the gift of life (growing and planting) and the very bad man is looking for her. ( )
  bookwormteri | Sep 12, 2016 |
Now that was a long book. ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
I gave this four stars only because I didn't like the ending, which isn't a fault of the author. Otherwise, I'd say the 900 pages went by pretty fast. Worth the read at any rate. ( )
  Cal_Clapp | Sep 5, 2016 |
Being a sucker for apocalyptic stories, I always felt an emptiness never having read Swan’s Song. Finally, faced with it once again at the bookstore, I finally caved in and started it within days, eager for some morbid thrills and end of the world depression.

First off, the novel is alive with strong characters – from the intriguing, kind hearted Swan; the hermit you have to love, Paul; the determined, previously homeless Sister; the warped, demented Roland; the power hungry, self centered Colonel Mackley, and the rest, it’s easy to drown in their personal lives and trials. The rich characterization is a giant leap from what could have been a more mediocre book to what it turned out as. I cared about nearly everyone and, for a change, almost all of his or her back-stories. Usually I become more involved with one character’s plight more than another’s, causing me to start feeling antsy when too much time passes where they’re not mentioned in detail. Here I enjoyed all the subplots, something that’s unusual for me, but another sign of the book’s power.

The pace for a novel of this size is ideal. Around the same page size as the Stand, the pace is swift and something’s always going on both behind the lines and on the current page. Almost constantly there’s something going down that involves the main plot and something intimate to each character involved. The beginning shows needed character description while setting up the right mood – from the presidents’ guilt and indecision, to the little girls’ abusive situation, to Roland’s morbid fascination with the underground ‘cave’. Then, finally, the blow hits and all is chaotic from there. This is a bomb that blew up from the get go, not from smoke, then a fizzle, followed by as slow burning. The ending was a great wrap up with loss, irony, and peace too – a nice morbid mixture that manages to leave the reader with the empty feeling they love, but the happy, warm one as well.

In terms of plot, bravo! Having the two internal armies against each other and all fighting for survival (for different reasons) worked well. I especially enjoyed the little unique tidbits about the group of people stealing from the dead and the strange disease names. It all created a sense of more realistic tragedy than would have existed otherwise. The motivations of the villains wasn’t what I would have expected if I were plotting the story or thinking it out myself – a true side of human nature that hasn’t been explored enough.

McCammon’s writing style is admirable; his words flow together in rich prose, easy to understand, the right words chosen to draw the right picture. Multiple POV is used, which is almost mandatory for a novel of this size and direction.

Why a four rating instead of a five? The book, while excellent and highly recommended, just wasn’t as interesting as other apocalyptic novels I have read – The Stand and Strangers worked a little bit better for that. It’s a great story, a powerfully written one, but it’s slightly more lukewarm when held up against other novels of it’s breed.

Despite that, though, one can never delve into enough apocalyptic warfare tales. Pick it up immediately to rid yourself of your own empty feeling. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Doesn't get much better than this. Even better than The Stand, which I loved. ( )
  KerryAlanDenney | May 18, 2016 |

Robert McCammonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sally, whose inside face is as beautiful as the one outside. We survived the comet!
Once upon a time we had a love affair with fire, the president of the United States thought as the match that he'd just struck to light his pipe flared beneath his fingers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671741039, Mass Market Paperback)

Swan Song is rich with such characters as an ex-wrestler named Black Frankenstein, a New York City bag lady who feels power coursing from a weird glass ring, a boy who claws his way out of a destroyed survivalist compound. They gather their followers and travel toward each other, all bent on saving a blonde girl named Swan from the Man of Many Faces. Swan Song is often compared to Stephen King's The Stand, and for the most part, readers who enjoy one of the two novels, will enjoy the other. Like The Stand, it's an end-of-the-world novel, with epic sweep, apocalyptic drama, and a cast of vividly realized characters. But the tone is somewhat different: The good is sweeter, the evil is more sadistic, and the setting is harsher, because it's the world after a nuclear holocaust. Swan Song won a 1988 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel. It's a monster of a horror book, brimming over with stories and violence and terrific imagery--God and the Devil, the whole works.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:06 -0400)

"An ancient evil roams the blasted, nightmare country, an evil as old as time. He is the Man with the Scarlet Eye, the Man of Many Faces, gathering under his power the forces of human greed and madness. He is seeking to destroy a child, the one called Swan."--Cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,832,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible