Swan Song by Robert McCammon

Swan Song (original 1987; edition 2009)

by Robert McCammon

1,950653,493 (4.24)2 / 103
Title:Swan Song
Authors:Robert McCammon
Info:Gallery Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 864 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, audio, post-apocalyptic, read in 2012

Swan Song by Robert McCammon (1987)

The Stand by Stephen King (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another post apocalyptic horror novel that is often compared to this one.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (infiniteletters, Scottneumann, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Another post-apocalyptic book with fantasy elements woven in.
    It by Stephen King (sturlington)
    The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending
    Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon (Scottneumann)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (Phantasma)
    Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic tale of survival with supernatural elements of good v evil
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (63)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (65)
The good guys: Swan, Josh, Sister, Robin. The bad guys: The Man with the Scarlet Eye, Colonel Macklin, Roland. A final, edge-of-your-seat climax high atop a mountain in West Virginia. This book had me spinning through all 956 pages of action, never knowing what lay ahead! I laughed, I cringed, I cried. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
A massive, sprawling horror epic by a writer who seemed to bob along in the wake of the likes of King, Straub and Koontz, delivering books that at first glance seemed derivative, particularly of King, but which were consistently well-written novels of high-concept horror. Vampires descend on Los Angeles under cover of a massive dust storm; an alien bounty hunter rips a small town apart; a werewolf battles Nazis: I remember them all as being rippingly entertaining books, and it's always struck me as a bot odd that I never read this one. Well now I have.

It's terrific! Boom the world blows up! Billions die in the first chapter, and the living come to envy the dead in the radiation-scorched landscape! Evil stalks the wasteland in the form of the many-faced demon who seems to have a vested interest in the extinction of humanity for reasons that are never made precisely clear other than he's that kind of asshole. Hope also stalks the land in the form of Swan, an innocent young girl who may be the salvation of humanity! Humanity stalks the land also in the form of homicidal warmongering lunatics who build an army and go around killing and robbing people!

Violence! Horror! Supernatural evil! Fragile regeneration of life! It's all up for grabs and obviously the purest of popcorn nonsense, but McCammon writes well enough and intelligently enough to make it all read splendidly and smoothly. Oh, it makes you all nostalgic for the days when we lived in the shadow of nuclear annihilation! It sucked, but at least it gave us groovy post-apocalyptic horror of a surprisingly high standard! ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
It had a lot of parallels to ""The Stand"" as many people have mentioned before, but I certainly think that it stands (see what I did there?) on it's own. There were some very predictable parts and the fact that the book just random skips ahead seven years took away from my enjoyment a bit. Overall, however, I diggity-dug it and would recommend it to someone looking for a good post-apocalyptic read. ( )
  tkatt00 | Sep 11, 2015 |
Overall I would say this book would suit a fairly religious person despite the graphic action scenes. Good and Evil are fairly starkly defined. Not half as good as Stephen King's The Stand in my opinion. ( )
  jerhogan | Jun 4, 2015 |
I loved this book!! My brother and sister and I all read it in our teens and hold it as one of the best! ( )
1 vote mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
For Sally, whose inside face is as beautiful as the one outside. We survived the comet!
Once upon a time we had a love affair with fire, the president of the United States thought as the match that he'd just struck to light his pipe flared beneath his fingers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671741039, Mass Market Paperback)

Swan Song is rich with such characters as an ex-wrestler named Black Frankenstein, a New York City bag lady who feels power coursing from a weird glass ring, a boy who claws his way out of a destroyed survivalist compound. They gather their followers and travel toward each other, all bent on saving a blonde girl named Swan from the Man of Many Faces. Swan Song is often compared to Stephen King's The Stand, and for the most part, readers who enjoy one of the two novels, will enjoy the other. Like The Stand, it's an end-of-the-world novel, with epic sweep, apocalyptic drama, and a cast of vividly realized characters. But the tone is somewhat different: The good is sweeter, the evil is more sadistic, and the setting is harsher, because it's the world after a nuclear holocaust. Swan Song won a 1988 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel. It's a monster of a horror book, brimming over with stories and violence and terrific imagery--God and the Devil, the whole works.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:06 -0400)

"An ancient evil roams the blasted, nightmare country, an evil as old as time. He is the Man with the Scarlet Eye, the Man of Many Faces, gathering under his power the forces of human greed and madness. He is seeking to destroy a child, the one called Swan."--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible